This is an easy Italian style casserole that tastes like a cross between eggplant parmesan and lasagna. I used hot Italian sausage and sliced it up after it was cooked.
You can use either bulk or link sausage in mild or hot. I thought the spicy sausage gave this casserole a nice flavor. My eggplant was just picked out of the garden.
If the eggplant is store bought, you may want to salt it and let it sit in a colander to remove any bitterness.
- 1 pound sausage, cooked and drained
- 1 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 medium eggplant
- 1 ¼ cups cottage cheese
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Mix tomato sauce into cooked sausage. Set aside.
- Slice eggplant lengthwise into thin strips. Fry eggplant slices in a little oil until brown and softened. Line bottom of an 8×8 baking dish with cooked eggplant. Mix egg with cottage cheese, parmesan cheese, and 1/4 cup of the mozzarella cheese. Spread cheese mixture over eggplant. Layer sausage mixture over the cheese. Spring oregano over sausage layer. Sprinkle the remaining mozzarella cheese on top.
- Bake in 350 oven for about 30 minutes or until cheese has browned on top.
Carbs per serving: 4.5 g
LOW CARB TIPS and TRICKS
Subscribe now to receive your free copy of Low Carb Tips and Tricks which includes 20 easy to prepare recipes. Plus, get access to the weekly newsletter and special offers only for subscribers!