A delicious sugar free and low carb German chocolate zucchini cake. This zucchini and coconut flour based chocolate cake is super moist and gluten free.
Last week, I was away on a business trip in Virginia. There was one evening when I saw a delicious looking German Chocolate Cake sitting in a meeting room. It had been a long time since I had that kind of cake, and it’s a cake I used to enjoy as a child.
When I got home from the trip, my husband said there were several large zucchini in the garden that would be great for making bread. I was more into making a low carb German chocolate zucchini cake than zucchini bread so I modified a chocolate zucchini bread recipe to be more like a cake.
I wanted it to be as close as possible to a chocolate cake so I used coconut flour which I find bakes into the more light and spongy texture that I’m used to. Nut flours are too heavy.
LOW CARB TIPS and TRICKS
Subscribe now to receive your free copy of Low Carb Tips and Tricks which includes 20 easy to prepare recipes. Plus, get access to the weekly newsletter and special offers only for subscribers!
This German chocolate zucchini cake turned out to be a very moist cake as I didn’t drain the zucchini after it was shredded. I did add quite a bit of zucchini as we had a lot on hand. I wanted it to be very rich so I added some sugar free chocolate chips, but those could be left out.
The coconut pecan frosting was amazing! If you don’t like German Chocolate cake, the cake can be topped with a vanilla or chocolate frosting instead. The cake itself is the best low carb chocolate cake recipe I’ve tried!
Low Carb German Chocolate Zucchini Cake
- Serves: 16
- Serving size: 64.4g
- Calories: 203
- Fat: 17.9g
- Saturated fat: 11.7g
- Carbohydrates: 10.4g
- Sugar: 1.4g
- Sodium: 167.6mg
- Fiber: 4.7g
- Protein: 4.4g
- Cholesterol: 67.2g
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup sweetener, I used 1/2 cup Stevia Blend
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, liquified
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups zucchini, shredded and drained
- 1/2 cup sugar free chocolate chips, optional
- Stir together coconut flour, cocoa, sweetener, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Mix in eggs, coconut oil, and vanilla until well blended. Stir in zucchini and chocolate chips (if using).
- Pour mixture into greased pan (I used a 9×9).
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Combine almond milk, sweetener, egg yolk and butter in a saucepan.
- Heat over medium heat. When bubbles form, sprinkle in xanthan gum.
- Continue heating until thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla, coconut and pecans.
- Spread mixture over cooled cake.