A simple low carb homemade sugar free pizza sauce. This sauce is a great way to use up a late summer crop of tomatoes or frozen skinned tomatoes off-season.
Our tomato plants are very productive this summer. Last year, I skinned all our excess tomatoes and froze them for use over the winter. This year, I wanted to try canning some tomato sauce so I am trying out a few recipes.
Since one of my favorite meals is low carb pizza, I made a small batch of homemade sugar free pizza sauce with our garden tomatoes. This is a simple recipe. Unfortunately, it didn’t make enough to fill my large canning jar so I’m going to buy some smaller canning jars to use for future recipes.
Sometimes, it’s difficult to find pre-made pizza sauce that doesn’t have added sugar. You could use a no sugar added marinara sauce for your pizza, but this homemade sugar free pizza sauce much thicker.
LOW CARB TIPS and TRICKS
Subscribe now to receive your free copy of Low Carb Tips and Tricks which includes 20 easy to prepare recipes. Plus, get access to the weekly newsletter and special offers only for subscribers!
Do you grow tomatoes? If so, what do you like to do with all the fresh tomatoes?
Homemade Sugar Free Pizza Sauce
- 4 pounds tomatoes
- 2 ½ teaspoons Truvia, or 2 Tablespoons (3 packets) low carb sweetener
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Skin tomatoes by first gently cutting an “X” at the base and then placing in boiling water for 30-60 seconds.
- After skin has been removed, cut in quarters and place in microwave safe bowl.
- Add sweetener and seasonings.
- Cook uncovered in microwave on MED HIGH to HIGH (depending on wattage) for about 15-20 minutes.
- Pour out excess liquid and cook for another 5-10 minutes.
- Place tomato mixture into blender or food processor and puree.
- Can be used immediately or canned for later use.
Net carbs per serving: about 4g