Soft and chewy low carb coconut chocolate chip cookies. These gluten free cookies are made with coconut flour and sweetened with stevia and erythritol.
Cookies are one of my favorite snacks. I love coconut macaroons, but wanted to try something a little different.
I came up with this recipe for low carb coconut chocolate chip cookies after I saw a few recipes for Coconut Butter Cookies. To make these gluten free cookies more delicious, I added some chocolate chips. I love the taste of chocolate and coconut.
These coconut chocolate chip cookies turned out fabulous, just like regular high carb ones. The texture was soft and chewy, almost like melting in your mouth. They also held together very well.
LOW CARB TIPS and TRICKS
Subscribe now to receive your free copy of Low Carb Tips and Tricks which includes 20 easy to prepare recipes. Plus, get access to the weekly newsletter and special offers only for subscribers!
The soft and chewy texture of the cookies are likely the addition of polydextrose. I’m going to try making these next time without the polyd. I find that the high fiber content of polydextrose bothers me a little. It does have a laxative effect and can cause cramping, bloating and gas which is why I try to limit my use.
The blackstrap molasses is a good addition when you are replacing brown sugar with low carb sweeteners. It is relatively low in carbs and is rich in vitamins and minerals. Only a small amount of blackstrap molasses is needed which keeps the carbs low.
Low Carb Gluten Free Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies
- ½ cup butter
- ¾ cup powdered erythritol (See Note)
- ¼ teaspoon stevia (See Note)
- ¼ cup polydextrose (optional)
- 1 teaspoon blackstrap molasses (optional)
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, sugar free
- ½ cup coconut flour, sifted
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut, grated or flaked
- ½ cup chocolate chips, sugar free (optional)
- Cream together the butter, erythritol, stevia, polydextrose and molasses. Mix in the eggs and vanilla.
- Stir in coconut flour and salt. Mix in coconut and chocolate chips.
- Drop teaspoon sized mounds 1 inch apart on greased cookie sheet or Silpat.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 12-15 minutes. Remove from cookie sheet immediately and cool on wire racks.
Makes about 42 cookies
Carbs per cookie: 1 g