When you are on a low carb or gluten free diet, there are certain things you miss. Bagels are one of those things for me. These gluten free onion bagels are a great alternative that isn’t very expensive to make at home.
You will need to buy a “donut” pan to get them to turn out in nice ring shapes. Otherwise, the dough will need to be shaped by hand on a flat baking pan. This is an onion version of the bagel recipe posted at Maria’s Nutritional Food Blog.
LOW CARB TIPS and TRICKS
Subscribe now to receive your free copy of Low Carb Tips and Tricks which includes 20 easy to prepare recipes. Plus, get access to the weekly newsletter and special offers only for subscribers!
You can purchase a 6 mold donut pan here at amazon.com. I can see a lot of different variations for this recipe. I’d like to try making some garlic bagels and french toast bagels. Maybe even some cheese bagels. These low carb bagels are a welcome breakfast treat. I enjoy mine with cream cheese spread on each half.
Maybe even some cheese bagels. These low carb bagels are a welcome breakfast treat. I enjoy mine with cream cheese spread on each half.
- 3 Tablespoons ground flax seed
- 2 Tablespoons coconut flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon dried minced onion
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Spray non-stick “donut” baking pan with oil.
- In small bowl, mix flax meal, coconut flour, baking powder, and onion.
- Beat the egg whites with electric mixer until light and foamy. Slowly whisk in the yolks then add the dry mixture. Allow the batter to sit for 5-10 minutes to thicken. Spoon into “donut” mold. Sprinkle additional dried onion on top of each bagel, if desired. Bake for 30 minutes until bagels become golden brown. Allow to cool in the oven.
Total carbs per bagel: 3.0 g
Net carbs per bagel: 1.0g