An easy to make blueberry low carb keto gluten free coffee cake. The sugar free cake layer is topped with cream cheese, blueberry, and cinnamon streusel layers.
We just picked over ten pounds of blueberries so I was looking for a yummy way to bake some of them up. I already made a keto blueberry cheesecake so I searched for something a little different.
I found a recipe for low carb blueberry cream cheese coffee cake on the Low Carb Diet site at About.com. Because it got really good reviews, I decided to give it a try.
It’s a pretty easy low carb coffee cake to prepare. But you do need to do it in stages as there are three primary layers: the cake bottom, the cream cheese filling, and the streusel topping.
Ingredients needed for the keto coffee cake
The topping uses almond flour, cinnamon, sweetener, salt, and butter. In the cream cheese filling there’s a blend of cream cheese, egg, and sweetener. Blueberries are also sprinkled over the filling.
For the cake base, the ingredients are almond flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, sweetener, sour cream, oil, vanilla extract, and eggs.
How to make the gluten free blueberry coffee cake
To begin, preheat the oven to 350°F and grease a 9×9-inch square baking pan. Then get the topping ready by cutting butter into the blend of almond flour, cinnamon, sweetener, and salt (photos 1-4).
The cream cheese filling is made next by mixing the softened cream cheese with egg and sweetener using an electric mixer (photos 5-7).
Then, get the dry ingredients of the cake layer mixed together by whisking almond flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, and sweetener in a medium bowl (photos 8-11).
The wet ingredients are combined next by mixing sour cream (or yogurt), oil, vanilla extract, sweetener, and eggs in a large bowl with an electric mixer (photos 12 & 13). At this point, the dry ingredients are stirred in (photos 14 & 15).
Assembling the low carb coffee cake
Now that the layers are prepared, it’s time to put them all together. First, spread the cake batter into the pan. Next spread the cream cheese filling over it.
The blueberries are sprinkled on top of the cream cheese layer. Then, the streusel topping is sprinkled over everything for the top layer.
It’s then baked for 30 to 40 minutes or until the cake layer tests done. Once it’s cooled, it’s ready to slice and enjoy.
Modifications to the recipe
The filling in this blueberry gluten free coffee cake does taste similar to a cheese danish. However, it would be much better to have more of this cheesy goodness.
Therefore, I will likely modify it next time I prepare it. I’ll use a whole 8 ounce bar of cream cheese when I make it again. And, I’ll add in more blueberries.
Sweetness of the blueberry coffee cake
The sugar free cake layer was very moist. At first, I thought it could have been a little sweeter, but I wouldn’t want to add any more sweetener as there is a good amount in the entire recipe. And, if you’ve been on a low carb diet for a while, you may actually want to reduce the sweetness.
Monk fruit is my favorite sweetener, but it can be difficult to measure if used in pure form. That’s why I like a blend that contains erythritol which is a non-impacting sugar alcohol.
If you decide to give this low carb gluten-free blueberry cream cheese coffee cake a try, I’d love to know what you think. And, also any modifications that you made.
Blueberry Low Carb Gluten Free Coffee Cake Recipe
Enjoy this keto friendly breakfast cake! And be sure to leave a comment below to let us know what you think.
Blueberry Gluten Free Coffee Cake (Keto, Low Carb)
Cream Cheese Layer
- 6 ounces cream cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup low carb sugar substitute or equivalent
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup low carb sugar substitute or equivalent
- 1/2 cup sour cream or Greek yogurt
- 2 Tablespoons oil
- 2 teaspoons sugar-free vanilla extract or 1 teaspoon each vanilla and almond extracts
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350°. Butter or oil 9X9 inch pan.
- Mix 1 cup of the almond meal, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, ½ cup sweetener, a pinch of salt and the 4 Tablespoons butter until crumbly. Set aside.
Cream Cheese Layer:
- Mix cream cheese, 1 egg, and ¼ cup sweetener. Set aside.
- Mix 2 cups of almond flour, baking powder, baking soda, ¼ teaspoon cinnamon, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¾ cup sweetener (if using a powder). Set dry ingredients aside.
- Blend the sour cream (or yogurt), oil, extracts, liquid sweetener (if using), and 2 eggs and mix well. Add the mixed dry ingredients and blend well.
- Spread the cake layer in the pan, and spread the cream cheese on top (if it’s the larger amount of cream cheese, you won’t be able to spread it evenly, but that’s OK). Then sprinkle the blueberries on the cream cheese and the streusel on the top of that.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until toothpick not inserted into center comes out clean. Cool and slice.
- Net Carbs 4g
- % Carbs: 6.4%
- % Protein: 11.2%
- % Fat: 82.5%
Note on Nutritional Information
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs are not included in carb counts as it has been shown not to impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.