Making low carb ice cream at home is easy with the help of an ice cream maker. This is a basic coconut ice cream with unsweetened coconut mixed in.
Although I have an ice cream maker, I don’t use this machine as often as I should. It’s just too easy to buy low carb ice cream at a local store. However, the flavors available are very limited and I usually settle for plain vanilla as the chocolate typically tastes bad with the added Splenda.
There are a few gourmet ice cream shops near us that sell low carb ice cream, but these are seasonal places that are only open during the warmer weather and they are very expensive. Still, the sugar free flavors they offer are typically just vanilla, chocolate and strawberry. But, they are working to expand the variety. I’m really surprised more companies haven’t tapped into the low carb ice cream market.
Making homemade ice cream is really easy when using an ice cream maker machine. The only thing is that you have to prepare for it by placing the freezer bowl in the freezer a few days prior so that the gel inside is frozen.
Getting bored of the regular vanilla ice cream, I got the ice cream maker machine out of storage and thought of a good flavor to try. Coconut ice cream is something that is hard to find. Locally, I’ve only seen it served in a Chinese restaurant. And, you may as well forget about finding any low carb coconut ice cream sold anywhere.
I still had some homemade hot fudge sauce left over, so this is going to make a great low carb coconut ice cream sundae. Maybe I’ll add some chopped almonds for an Almond Joy sundae.
Low Carb Coconut Ice Cream – Sugar Free
- 2 cups heavy cream (use coconut cream for dairy free)
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut milk, or almond milk
- 3 tablespoons lecithin granules, ground to fine powder
- 3/4 cup sweetener, I used Ideal (xylitol/sucralose mix)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 ¼ cup unsweetened flaked coconut
- 2 tablespoons glycerin
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- Blend all ingredients together with an electric mixer.
- Pour into ice cream maker and freeze per manufacturer directions.
- Store in a covered container in freezer.
Net carbs per serving: 3.5g