For me, pound cake is too plain. I like to dress it up with fruit and whipped cream. Making strawberry shortcakes is my favorite thing to do with plain pound cake. This is a delicious low carb pound cake recipe using almond flour which makes it gluten-free. I like to use erythritol and stevia as they are both natural ingredients, but you can substitute about 1 cup of artificial sweetener (Splenda) instead. Either way you slice it, this is one tasty low carb strawberry shortcake.
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup powdered erythritol or Swerve
- ¼ teaspoon stevia extract
- 5 eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 teaspoon sugar-free vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups plus 2 tablespoons almond flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 16 strawberries
- sugar-free whipped cream
- Cream the butter, cream cheese erythritol, and stevia with an electric mixer. Add the eggs, one at a time; blend in the extracts.
- Mix the almond flour and baking powder; add to the egg mixture a little at a time.
- Pour into a well-greased 8×4? loaf pan at 325º for 50-55 minutes or until well browned.
- Cool 10 minutes, remove from pan.
- Slice two pieces of pound cake.
- Slice two strawberries.
- Place one sliced strawberry on top of bottom cake and top with sugar-free whipped cream.
- Repeat for top layer.
Carbs per serving: 5 g