For me, pound cake is too plain. I like to dress it up with fruit and whipped cream.
Making strawberry shortcakes is my favorite thing to do with plain pound cake. This is a delicious low carb pound cake recipe using almond flour which makes it gluten-free.
I like to use erythritol and stevia as they are both natural ingredients, but you can substitute about 1 cup of artificial sweetener (Splenda) instead. Either way you slice it, this is one tasty low carb strawberry shortcake.
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup powdered erythritol or Swerve
- ¼ teaspoon stevia extract
- 5 eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 teaspoon sugar-free vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups plus 2 tablespoons almond flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 16 strawberries
- sugar-free whipped cream
- Cream the butter, cream cheese erythritol, and stevia with an electric mixer. Add the eggs, one at a time; blend in the extracts.
- Mix the almond flour and baking powder; add to the egg mixture a little at a time.
- Pour into a well-greased 8×4? loaf pan at 325º for 50-55 minutes or until well browned.
- Cool 10 minutes, remove from pan.
- Slice two pieces of pound cake.
- Slice two strawberries.
- Place one sliced strawberry on top of bottom cake and top with sugar-free whipped cream.
- Repeat for top layer.
Carbs per serving: 5 g
LOW CARB TIPS and TRICKS
Subscribe now to receive your free copy of Low Carb Tips and Tricks which includes 20 easy to prepare recipes. Plus, get access to the weekly newsletter and special offers only for subscribers!