Although traditionally baked with strawberries, rhubarb is delicious on its own. Enjoy tasty low carb gluten free cinnamon rhubarb muffins for breakfast.
You know that summer is just about here when the strawberry and rhubarb plants start producing here in Connecticut. I got my first rhubarb stalk, but there aren't enough ripe strawberries in our garden to make a strawberry rhubarb crisp, so I opted to make these cinnamon rhubarb muffins instead.
This was the first time I've actually eaten rhubarb by itself. Before making this recipe, I've always combined rhubarb with sweet berries. My favorite blend is the filling in a strawberry rhubarb crisp or pie.
The cinnamon flavor of these rhubarb muffins is similar to some of my favorite cereals so I've been enjoying them for breakfast. I didn't realize rhubarb had such a wonderful flavor on its own.
It's slight tartness does compliment the sweetness of fruit, but adding cinnamon and sweetener to plain rhubarb is really tasty. I'm glad I finally decided to try this low carb vegetable on its own in a sweet gluten free muffin without any added fruit.
I used a whole stalk of rhubarb in the recipe. It yielded a little over a cup of diced rhubard.
The gluten free muffin batter becomes fairly thick when the coconut flour absorbs the liquid.
I wanted as much rhubarb as I could squeeze into the batter, and one cup seemed just about right.
Although I usually grease the muffin pan, I decided to use paper liners this time for an easier cleanup. The muffins did stick a bit to the paper so I'll either grease the pan next time or use foil liners.
I baked the muffins until they were just browned and an inserted toothpick came out clean. This resulted in tender moist cinnamon rhubarb muffins that were delicious served warm.
Follow us on FACEBOOK, PINTEREST, and INSTAGRAM for even more tasty keto-friendly recipes!
Cinnamon Rhubarb Muffins - Gluten Free
- ⅓ cup almond flour
- 3 tablespoons coconut flour
- ¼ cup low carb sugar substitute or Swerve
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon xanthan gum optional
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 1 large egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup diced rhubarb
- 1 ½ teaspoons low carb sugar substitute or Swerve
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Line or grease 6 molds in muffin pan.
- In large bowl, mix together almond flour, coconut flour, granular sweetener, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, and xanthan gum (if using).
- In medium bowl, whisk together sour cream, butter, eggs, vanilla, and stevia until smooth.
- Gently stir the sour cream mixture into the dry mix just until incorporated with rubber spatula to form thick batter.
- Stir in rhubarb
- Divide batter among muffin cups.
- In small bowl, combine the topping ingredients.
- Sprinkle sweetened cinnamon mix evenly over each muffin.
- Bake muffins until browned and inserted toothpick comes out clean, about 25 to 30 minutes.
- Allow muffins to cool on rack in pan for 10-15 minutes before removing.
- Serve warm. Leftovers should be refrigerated and heated in toaster oven for 5-10 minutes.
Low Carb Sweeteners | Keto Sweetener Conversion Chart
Array ( [calories] => 110 [carbohydrates] => 5 [protein] => 3 [fat] => 9 [sodium] => 75 [fiber] => 2 [serving_size] => 1 [saturated_fat] => 4 [trans_fat] => 1 [cholesterol] => 43 [potassium] => 199 [sugar] => 1 [vitamin_a] => 203 [vitamin_c] => 1 [calcium] => 98 [iron] => 1 [serving_unit] => muffin )
Notes on Nutritional Information
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs are not included in carb counts as it has been shown not to impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.
© LowCarbYum.com - Unauthorized use of this material without written permission is strictly prohibited unless for personal offline purposes. Single photos may be used, provided that full credit is given to LowCarbYum.com along with a link back to the original content.
Awesome recipe thanks!! Only thing I added to was. Tbsp brown sugar swerve on top of rhubarb before mixing.
loved the muffins and so glad its keto friendly
If you use a silicon muffin pan you don’t need to spray it just put batter in and they pop out when done. Can set it on a cookie sheet for easy removal from oven. Recipe sounds delicious. Have some rhubarb in fridge so will try it.
I put 1/4 tsp of xanthum gum in the recipe and no issues with crumbling....even out of the oven. Fantastic recipe!