Soft and chewy low carb coconut chocolate chip cookies. These gluten free cookies are made with coconut flour and sweetened with stevia and erythritol.
Cookies are one of my favorite snacks. I love coconut macaroons, but wanted to try something a little different.
I came up with this recipe for low carb coconut chocolate chip cookies after I saw a few recipes for Coconut Butter Cookies. To make these gluten free cookies more delicious, I added some chocolate chips. I love the taste of chocolate and coconut.
These cookies turned out fabulous, just like regular high carb ones. The texture was soft and chewy, almost like melting in your mouth. They also held together very well.
The soft and chewy texture of the cookies are likely the addition of polydextrose. I’m going to try making these next time without the polyd. I find that the high fiber content of polydextrose bothers me a little. It does have a laxative effect and can cause cramping, bloating and gas which is why I try to limit my use.
The blackstrap molasses is a good addition when you are replacing brown sugar with low carb sweeteners. It is relatively low in carbs and is rich in vitamins and minerals. Only a small amount of blackstrap molasses is needed which keeps the carbs low.
Low Carb Gluten Free Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies
Low Carb Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup powdered erythritol See Note
- 1/4 teaspoon stevia See Note
- 1/4 cup polydextrose (optional
- 1 teaspoon blackstrap molasses (optional
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract sugar free
- 1/2 cup coconut flour sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut grated or flaked
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips sugar free (optional)
- Cream together the butter, erythritol, stevia, polydextrose and molasses. Mix in the eggs and vanilla.
- Stir in coconut flour and salt. Mix in coconut and chocolate chips.
- Drop teaspoon sized mounds 1 inch apart on greased cookie sheet or Silpat.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 12-15 minutes. Remove from cookie sheet immediately and cool on wire racks.
- Net Carbs 2g
- % Carbs: 14%
- % Protein: 7%
- % Fat: 78.9%
Note on Nutritional Information
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs are not included in carb counts as it has been shown not to impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.