A coconut custard perfect for those who crave sweets during the weight loss phase of a low carb diet. With only 2g carbs, eating it won’t stall weight loss.
For some reason, I seem to be doing better with weight loss when I use Splenda instead of a stevia and erythritol mix. I do use a liquid version of Splenda which has zero carbs and calories so perhaps that is the reason. It has been a few weeks since I’ve baked a dessert, but I have been eating Splenda sweetened protein bars which are like eating candy. I wanted to make something sweet that would be fairly low in carbs and calories. Of course gelatin is always a great standby, but I wanted something with a little more substance. I thought about making some pudding and ended up with a baked custard. Coconut is one of my favorite flavors so I made some baked coconut custard in single serving cups.
Low Carb Dairy Free Coconut Custard
- Serves: 5 servings
- Serving size: about 3/4 cup
- Whisk together the eggs, Splenda and salt until the eggs are just blended.
- Heat coconut milk just to simmering.
- Gradually whisk heated coconut milk into egg mixture.
- Stir in vanilla extract and coconut.
- Pour into 5 custard cups. Sprinkle with nutmeg, if desired.
- Place cups in a 13×9 baking pan. Add about 1 inch of hot water to pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Remove cups to a wire rack and cool for an hour. Cover and store in the refrigerator.
Carbs per serving: 2g