If you prefer a soft buttery chocolate chip cookie, these gluten free chocolate chip cookies are sure to satisfy. They tastes very close to the real thing.
I finally found a low carb and gluten free chocolate chip cookie recipe that is almost as good as the original high carb Toll House recipe. This one even passed the picky 13 year old daughter test. It also got past my daughter’s friend who had a few and said they were good cookies. I plan to make a big batch of this dough later and freeze it to bake on my busier days. I liked these cookies so much, I will bake some for the holidays.
These low carb chocolate chip cookies are soft and chewy. You can cook them a little longer if you like crisp cookies. They have a nice buttery flavor and the nut flours are not overpowering because of the added vanilla whey protein. It’s also a true cookie, nothing like cake in texture.
The blackstrap molasses adds the touch of brown sugar which is needed for a traditional chocolate chip cookie. I was tempted to add polydextrose, but the thought of the intestinal distress it causes led me to leave it out. It was a good decision because the cookies don’t need it. It was probably the molasses, but it could also have been the addition of peanut flour that gave the cookies their nice texture.
I wasn’t sure if the cookies would flatten out on their own so I did flatten the dough balls a little before baking. But, this turned out to be unnecessary. There is enough butter in the dough that the cookies melt down on their own. Using a cookie dough scoop makes the shape of the cookies uniform so I highly recommend using one.
If you are going to freeze the dough to use later, I recommend forming the dough into mounds with the scoop on a cookie tray and placing the tray in the freezer. Once the mounds are frozen, put them in an air tight container or freezer bag.
You’ll want to make a large batch of these cookies as they freeze well and can be frozen in scoops. This helps with portion control as you can bake only a few at a time. You can even just bake up a few in the toaster oven.
If you want a crisper cookie, you may want to check out my walnut chocolate chip cookie recipe here.
Soft & Buttery Low Carb Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ½ cup Swerve or erythritol
- ¼ teaspoon stevia glycerite
- ¾ teaspoon blackstrap molasses
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup almond flour
- ½ cup low carb whey protein powder, vanilla flavor
- 2 tablespoons peanut flour (12% fat)
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup sugar-free chocolate chips
- ½ cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or use a non-stick baking mat.
- Beat together butter, erythritol, stevia glycerite, and molasses until light and fluffy. Add egg and beat well.
- In a separate bowl, stir together almond flour, vanilla whey protein powder, peanut flour, baking soda and salt.
- Stir almond flour mixture into butter mixture until blended. Stir in chocolate chips and chopped nuts.
- Use cookie scoop to measure and drop onto prepared baking sheets about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 8-12 minutes, or until golden. Allow to cool for a couple minutes on baking sheet then remove to wire racks to cool.
Carbs per cookie: about 0.6g