An easy chicken spaghetti squash casserole that has a creamy cheese sauce. Can be made with your choice of low carb vegetables like broccoli or cauliflower.
I recently discovered that I wasn’t preparing spaghetti squash properly when using as a noodle substitute in casseroles.
There is one thing that really should be done if you are putting the strands from a roasted spaghetti squash into a dish.
This little tip will keep your dish from becoming runny as there is a lot of water in spaghetti squash that can ruin a casserole if the excess isn’t removed first.
The best way to remove the excess water from spaghetti squash is to use a clean kitchen towel to absorb the moisture out. I like to line a large bowl with a towel and then add the spaghetti squash strands in.
I let it sit for a little bit and let the towel draw out water, then I take the towel out of the bowl with the spaghetti squash still in it and squeeze gently to get as much water out as I can.
The towel will get very wet so you just saved all that water from ruining your casserole. I use this tip now for spiralized and grated vegetables too. Other squash like zucchini and summer squash also contain large amounts of water.
There is a lot of flexibility with this casserole. I added a bag of frozen broccoli, but you can add any vegetable mix you’d like and it doesn’t have to be frozen.
I had a bag of pork rinds in the pantry so I crushed up some to put on top of the casserole. If you don’t have any, feel free to leave them out or add more cheese.
There are starchy fillers added to cheese that is pre-grated, so go for the block of cheese and grate it fresh yourself. You’ll save yourself some unnecessary carbs by grating your cheese yourself. Just invest in a good box grater!
I’m a big fan of cheesy casseroles so I typically cover the top of my casseroles with cheese. If you don’t like cheddar, you can swap it out with another cheese. I used aged sharp cheddar to top of this chicken spaghetti squash casserole with is one of our favorites.
If you’d rather cut back on the protein and serve this as a side dish, just leave the chicken meat out. I’ve also got another cheesy spaghetti squash casserole recipe that you can check out which is more of a side dish.
Chicken Spaghetti Squash Casserole Recipe
Chicken Spaghetti Squash Casserole
- 1 small spaghetti squash
- 3 tablespoons butter melted
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- 1/2 cup chicken stock or broth
- 1 cup coconut milk can or carton
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 boneless & skinless chicken thighs cooked and cubed
- 12 ounce bag frozen broccoli or vegetable of choice
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 1/2 cup crushed pork rinds optional
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese shredded
- Roast spaghetti squash, remove flesh strands and squeeze out excess water using a clean kitchen towel. Set spaghetti squash strands aside.
- In 9x13-inch casserole dish, combine butter, coconut flour, chicken stock, milk, salt, and pepper.
- Stir in chicken meat, broccoli, spaghetti squash strands, and grated Parmesan.
- Top with pork rinds (if using) and shredded cheddar.
- Bake for 25 minutes at 400°F or until browned.
- Net Carbs 5.3g
- % Carbs: 5.4%
- % Protein: 23.9%
- % Fat: 70.7%
Note on Nutritional Information
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs are not included in carb counts as it has been shown not to impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.