Learn how to make this fresh and sweet keto arugula goat cheese salad, made with crumbly goat cheese, peppery arugula, and low-carb vinaigrette!
Why you'll love this arugula goat cheese salad
- Fresh and light: This salad is a perfect choice for those days when you don't want anything too heavy but still crave something full of flavor.
- Quick and easy to prepare: With just a few simple ingredients, you can whip up this salad in no time. Ideal for those busy days when you're short on time.
- Packed with healthy nutrients: Arugula and goat cheese are both excellent sources of essential vitamins and minerals.
- Fits into a low-carb lifestyle: If you're watching your carb intake, this salad is a fantastic option. It's low in carbs but still satisfying and delicious.
- Versatile: You can enjoy this salad as a main dish or as a side. It's also great for potlucks or picnics.
- Customizable: Add your favorite toppings, such as nuts, seeds, or grilled chicken, to make this salad even more delicious and nutritious!
- Pairs well with many dressings: This salad can be dressed with your favorite vinaigrette, creamy dressing, or even just a drizzle of olive oil and balsamic vinegar. The possibilities are endless!
Ingredients needed for strawberry goat cheese salad
Here's everything that goes into this delicious arugula goat cheese salad:
The base of this recipe is chopped arugula. It adds an amazing flavor to any dish it touches, with a fresh and peppery bite!
Strawberries are amongst my very favorite keto fruits because they're really sweet while having a low carb count.
They also happen to pair perfectly with goat cheese!
Sliced red onion brings extra flavor to this salad, tasting slightly sweet and peppery.
Roughly chopped walnuts are included in this salad, adding a crunchy bite.
For a fun twist, you can try toasted walnuts. Just toss the nuts in a pan over medium heat and shake regularly until they are a toasty golden brown!
Any salad that includes bacon is a winner in my books. Bacon brings great fat content and yummy flavor to this recipe.
Goat cheese crumbles add a creamy, tart flavor along with extra fats!
Finally, this recipe calls for a low-carb vinaigrette salad dressing. You can use a store-bought version, follow a keto-friendly recipe, or make your own using keto ingredients.
Try mixing common balsamic vinaigrette ingredients like:
- Balsamic vinegar
- Olive oil
- Dijon mustard (no honey mustard!)
- Lemon juice
Here are a few tips to make the dish perfectly:
- Pre-chop ingredients and pre-mix your salad dressing before assembly.
- Keep ingredients separate until you're ready to eat. This way, you can "meal prep" this salad without your elements getting soggy when combined.
- Thoroughly wash and dry your arugula before chopping and adding to your recipe. The drier your arugula is, the better your salad dressing will stick!
- Start small when adding salad dressing, increasing to fit your preference.
How to make arugula salad with goat cheese
Ready to get crunchy on a tasty arugula salad? Here's how to make one:
Step 1: Mix your base
Add arugula, sliced strawberries, soft goat cheese, red onion, and walnuts to a large bowl.
Mixing everything together.
Step 2: Dress and add bacon topping
Next, add your low-carb vinaigrette to the salad, starting small and then adding more if necessary. Toss gently to combine, tasting as you go.
Top with crispy chopped bacon and toss again.
Then, it's time to dig in!
How to serve arugula strawberry salad
This goat cheese salad serves one person as a main dish or two as a side dish.
There are endless options for customization when you're cooking, and this arugula salad is no exception!
Get creative with your ingredients, or start out with one of these easy variations:
- Add extra high fat by including sliced avocado in your salad.
- For an extra crunch, add a handful of low-carb keto croutons to the mix.
- Include an additional protein source like grilled chicken or fish as a healthy topping.
- If you're not a big fan of goat cheese, you can always substitute for feta cheese, blue cheese, or even parmesan cheese.
- For more variety in your greens, use one part spinach and one part arugula.
These are the questions I see the most about my goat cheese salad recipe. If I don't answer your question here, please leave it for me in the comments below.
Because fruit is eaten only in moderation on a low-carb diet, many of your favorite fruit salad recipes aren't keto. Popular recipes like arugula apple salad or a pear salad recipe could quickly affect your ketosis, no matter how healthy the ingredients are.
To keep things keto-friendly, I recommend you stick to salads that prioritize greens, healthy fats, low-carb dressings, and minimal keto fruits.
For example, my arugula salad recipe contains a moderate amount of strawberries for a sweet flavor without the high-carb count.
While the keto diet doesn't recommend many fruits, there are some that you can enjoy without exceeding your daily carb intake.
The best fruits for a keto diet include tomatoes, avocados, and berries.
Do note that blackberries, raspberries, and strawberries have lower carbs than blueberries.
For more information on keto-friendly foods, check out my posts on the best keto fruits, best keto vegetables, and best keto foods list. They're perfect for anyone starting on a low-carb diet!
Not a goat cheese fan? No problem! You can easily make this recipe with feta cheese, and it will taste just as fantastic! Ricotta will work, too, in a pinch.
Like this goat cheese salad arugula recipe? Try these!
If you're inspired by this low-carb salad recipe, I have plenty more where that came from! Start with some of these healthy and flavorful options:
- Healthy Cobb Salad Recipe with Chicken is made with keto-friendly ingredients like hard-boiled eggs, avocado, and blue cheese crumbles.
- Keto Southwest Chicken Salad Recipe includes homemade ranch dressing and tons of crunchy veggies.
- Deviled Egg Salad is super creamy and perfectly seasoned with smoked paprika.
- Cucumber Tomato Salad With Vinegar is incredibly fresh, pairing well with a light summer spread.
- Keto Macaroni Salad with Ham and Cheese is made with low-carb shirataki noodles for a keto take on a BBQ favorite.
Arugula Goat Cheese Salad
- 4 cups arugula chopped
- 1 cup fresh strawberries sliced
- ¼ cup red onion thinly sliced
- ¼ cup walnuts roughly chopped
- ½ cup bacon cooked and chopped
- In a large salad bowl, combine the arugula, sliced strawberries, red onion, crumbled goat cheese, and walnuts.
- Drizzle the vinaigrette dressing over the salad, starting with a small amount, and toss gently to coat.
- Serve the arugula goat cheese salad immediately and enjoy!
Array ( [calories] => 383 [carbohydrates] => 12 [protein] => 11 [fat] => 34 [saturated_fat] => 9 [polyunsaturated_fat] => 11 [monounsaturated_fat] => 12 [trans_fat] => 0.1 [cholesterol] => 39 [sodium] => 404 [potassium] => 469 [fiber] => 3 [sugar] => 6 [vitamin_a] => 983 [vitamin_c] => 50 [calcium] => 97 [iron] => 2 )
Notes on Nutritional Information
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs are not included in carb counts as it has been shown not to impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.
© LowCarbYum.com - Unauthorized use of this material without written permission is strictly prohibited unless for personal offline purposes. Single photos may be used, provided that full credit is given to LowCarbYum.com along with a link back to the original content.