These scrumptious ham and cheese frittata muffins are keto approved and easy to make! Whip them up for house guests or for low-carb breakfasts to enjoy all week long.
I first created this recipe when I was looking for a tasty breakfast that could use up some of my Christmas leftovers.
That year, we celebrated a traditional Filipino Christmas dinner with Jamon de Bola, a wet-cured ham, and Queso de Bola, an Edam cheese.
So what to do with leftover ham and cheese? How about yummy keto frittata muffins!
I wanted to have an easy breakfast for all my house guests. These little bites were the perfect solution.
I was able to make a big batch all at once and then store them in the refrigerator. They were a big hit with the whole family.
I used Jamon de Bola and Queso de Bola because that’s what I had on hand. But this recipe is delicious with any style of ham and cheese!
Step by Step Directions
These tasty egg muffins are one of my favorite breakfasts because they come together easily!
We’ll start with the egg frittata mixture:
- In a pan, fry the ham in olive oil for 2 to 3 minutes each side.
- Remove from heat. Once the ham has cooled slightly, dice into small cubes.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the eggs until fluffy.
- Add the cubed ham, chopped peppers, and cheese. Season with salt and pepper, then mix.
Next, simply pour the mixture and bake:
- Pour the egg mixture into silicone molds or a greased muffin tray, leaving a bit of space at the top.
- Sprinkle grated mozzarella on top. You can also add more ham and peppers on top if desired.
- Bake for 5 to 8 minutes at 350°F or until muffins are cooked through. To tell if they’re done, insert a toothpick at the center of the muffin. If no egg clings, your muffins are ready. If the tops are browning too quickly, you can also cover with tin foil.
- Once cooked through, remove from the oven and allow to cool for 1 to 2 minutes before removing from silicone molds or muffin tray.
I really like to make food ahead, especially around the holidays. It just makes everything so much easier.
These low-carb frittata muffins are great to whip up ahead of time. Simply store them in the refrigerator, then reheat in the microwave or oven toaster for 1 to 2 minutes to serve.
They’re so nice to have if you’re trying to feed a lot of house guests. Or, whip up a batch on Sunday for an easy breakfast for you and your family all week!
You can also freeze them for longer storage. Again, just reheat in the microwave or toaster oven when you’re ready to serve.
I love the way these muffins look as minis. They’re so cute!
The small size makes them perfect appetizers as well. I usually make 30 to 36 mini muffins when I use this recipe.
Of course, you don’t have to make these mini size. You could do standard size muffins or even one big ham and cheese frittata.
Just make sure to adjust the baking time so the egg fully cooks. You may also want to cover the top with tinfoil so it doesn’t burn while the inside is still cooking.
Other Recipes to Try
Looking for more easy low carb breakfast ideas to start your day? Check out a few of these tasty recipes:
- Paleo Breakfast Casserole Egg Bake is bursting with flavor and packed with veggies for a delicious breakfast that can be made ahead of time.
- Low Carb Cream Cheese Pancakes turn out so light and fluffy thanks to two special ingredients.
- Ham and Broccoli Quiche combines a gluten-free, low carb crust with a savory egg custard filling for an easy and tasty dish!
- Bacon Wrapped Egg Muffins are perfect for a quick low carb meal on the go.
- Ham Breakfast Casserole with ham and cheese is another delicious way to combine these ingredients to impress guests or prep for the week!
Keto Frittata Muffins Recipe
These mini size ham and cheese frittata are a great option to serve house guests for breakfast. Or make them to meal prep for the week. The recipe is also great for repurposing leftovers from a ham dinner.
Ham and Cheese Frittata Muffins
- 5 large eggs
- ½ pound cooked ham more or less
- ¾ cup cheese freshly grated, I used Queso de Bola (an Edam cheese)
- ½ medium red bell pepper (or 1 small chopped)
- ½ medium green bell pepper (or 1 small chopped)
- ¾ cup mozzarella cheese freshly grated
- olive oil for frying the ham
- salt & pepper to taste
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne powder optional
- Pre-heat oven at 350°.
- In a pan, fry the ham for 2 to 3 minutes each side. Allow for oil to drip and cool then dice.
- Beat eggs, add cooked ham, green & red bell pepper, and cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Add cayenne for a little heat and mix together.
- Arrange mini cupcake silicon molds in a baking tray.
- Pour the egg mixture, leaving about a bit of space. Sprinkle grated mozzarella. To add more color on top, add a piece of ham and red & green bell pepper.
- Bake for 5 to 8 minutes or until eggs are cooked. Insert a toothpick at the center to test if no egg clings. To avoid burning the top, opt to cover with foil.
- Allow silicon molds to cool for 1 to 2 minutes or use tongs to flip the mini cupcake silicon molds into a serving plate.
- Enjoy these bite sized Ham & Cheese Frittatas!
Array ( [serving_size] => 97 [calories] => 142 [carbohydrates] => 2.4 [protein] => 11.6 [fat] => 9.6 [saturated_fat] => 4 [cholesterol] => 108 [sodium] => 548 [potassium] => 140 [sugar] => 0.9 [vitamin_a] => 550 [vitamin_c] => 33 [calcium] => 90 [iron] => 0.7 )
Notes on Nutritional Information
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs are not included in carb counts as it has been shown not to impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.
© LowCarbYum.com - Unauthorized use of this material without written permission is strictly prohibited unless for personal offline purposes. Single photos may be used, provided that full credit is given to LowCarbYum.com along with a link back to the original content.
First Published: December 23, 2016... Last Updated: June 16, 2020