These 5 ingredient hazelnut flour cookies are pillowy-soft on the inside, crisp on the outside, and topped with crushed hazelnuts for a wonderful, flavorful crunch! Plus, they are gluten-free, low-carb, and dairy-free too.
When it comes to easy Keto and gluten free treats, you just can’t beat a good cookie recipe.
There are so many variations, you could try a new type of cookie every time you bake! After all, variety is the spice of life.
That’s why I love this hazelnut cookies recipe from Katrin at Sugar Free Londoner! I usually bake with a combination of almond flour and coconut flour. Baking with hazelnut flour added a delicious twist on the classic cookie.
And the chopped hazelnuts on top really make the flavor stand out! I like to add these treats to my holiday cookie platters along with low-carb coconut macaroons.
Keto hazelnut cookies
The recipe is based on a simple Italian cookie called Brutti Ma Buoni, literally “ugly but good”. Katrin made a few switches to bring us a low carb and gluten free recipe for these wonderful Italian hazelnut cookies!
With 0.4 grams of net carbs per cookie, they are the perfect guilt-free indulgence.
What makes this recipe even better is that it only uses 5 ingredients in the batter and comes together in minutes.
You’ll simply whip the egg whites, then fold all the ingredients together. After that, use a spoon to drop the dough onto your baking sheet and bake!
Enjoy these hazelnut cookies with your morning coffee or as an after-dinner dessert. With 0.4 net carbs per cookie and delicious hazelnut flavor, you can’t go wrong!
How to make hazelnut flour
You can buy pre-made hazelnut flour, or you can make your own. The process is very easy.
If your hazelnuts still have skins on them, you’ll want to roast them first. Then, once they’ve cooled, you can easily rub the skins off.
If your hazelnuts do not have skins, then you’re ready to go.
Simply put raw hazelnuts in your blender or food processor and blend for about 10-15 seconds.
You want to be careful that you don’t over-process your hazelnuts. Otherwise, you’ll end up with hazelnut butter. Still delicious, but not what we need for this recipe.
Whipping the egg whites
You may be wondering if you really need to whip the egg whites, or if you can simply mix them in.
I experimented with both to see if it made a difference. I must say, I definitely prefer the cookies with the whipped egg whites.
Whipping them adds air bubbles to your cookie batter. This results in a lighter, fluffier cookie with a softer interior.
So while this step is not absolutely necessary, I would recommend it for more satisfying hazelnut cookies.
Can you make these with a different flour
Another nut flour such as almond flour will work just fine in this recipe. You can replace the nut flour 1:1.
However, the nut flour you use will affect the taste. Both almond and hazelnut flour will have a nutty flavor, but hazelnut is a bit richer and deeper in my opinion.
Between the flours, hazelnut does have more texture to it. That’s why, combined with the whipped egg whites, it produces such a soft and light cookie.
So while almond flour and other nut flours can be used, just keep in mind that the final product will be slightly different.
If you enjoy the taste of hazelnuts, I recommend trying this recipe with hazelnut flour.
Other low carb cookie recipes
Looking for other delicious keto cookie recipes that you can enjoy on a Keto diet? Check out a few of these other favorites:
- Low Carb Peanut Butter Cookies with coconut flour are only 2 net carbs per cookie, so they’re a great way to satisfy your sweet tooth on keto!
- Keto Cream Cheese Cookies are made with almond and coconut flour. And they can be cut into shapes with cookie cutters just like traditional cookies.
- White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cookies are a perfectly low carb version of this decadent, classic cookie recipe.
- No Egg Cookies are perfect for anyone with a sensitivity to eggs. Plus they’re low carb and gluten free!
- Healthy Chocolate Zucchini Cookies are a delicious way to sneak in some veggies with a rich, fudgy cookie.
- Keto Low Carb Snickerdoodle Cookies are the perfect tasty treat to share with your family and friends.
Hazelnut Flour Low Carb Keto Cookies
- 1 cup hazelnut meal ground hazelnuts (90g)
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon powdered erythritol or equivalent sweetener
- 10 drops vanilla stevia glycerite (equivalent to 2 teaspoon sugar)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- crushed hazelnuts to decorate
- Whip the egg whites until they form stiff peaks.
- Fold in the hazelnut meal, erythritol, stevia and vanilla until well combined. I don’t like my cookies too sweet, so do make sure to taste the dough and adjust the sweetener to your liking.
- With a spoon, drop the dough on a silicone baking sheet or a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Flatten to your liking.
- Bake at 160° Celsius (320°F) for 25 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Let the cookies cool before touching them. They firm up as they cool down.
- Makes 20 smallish cookies
Notes on Nutritional Information
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs are not included in carb counts as it has been shown not to impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.
© LowCarbYum.com - Unauthorized use of this material without written permission is strictly prohibited unless for personal offline purposes. Single photos may be used, provided that full credit is given to LowCarbYum.com along with a link back to the original content.
First Published: April 14, 2017... Last Updated: January 23, 2020