You won’t hear any complaints from the kids when you serve these low-carb gluten-free chicken nuggets. They taste just as good or better than regular ones. So next time you need a family friendly dish, serve up these keto chicken nuggets!
After creating ketogenic recipes for the last ten years, you’d think I would have already posted a recipe for low carb chicken nuggets. However, the few times I experimented with them, I just didn’t seem to get what I was looking for. But this time, I’ve nailed it.
When I first tried to make them, I processed the meat in a food processor with some seasoning ingredients. I just didn’t like the result. The chicken just didn’t have the right texture.
I also didn’t like the fact that I had to form nugget pieces from the meat mixture. It was time consuming and not something that a busy mom should have to waste her time on.
The other issue that I ran into was a coating that was too dry when baked. Therefore, I attempted to fry them in oil, but the coating didn’t stick to the meat well. But this time, I’ve found a method to make the perfect nuggets with a coconut flour coating!
Making chicken nuggets keto friendly
Most recipes use chicken breast. But if you’re on a ketogenic diet, you’ll want to use boneless chicken thighs. That’s because dark meat contains about three times the fat as white meat.
Next, you’ll need to choose a base for the coating that’s low in carbs. Almond flour, coconut flour, and pork rinds are all popular choices. Personally, I prefer to use coconut flour. But the others work in the recipe too.
Then, you need to add just the right seasoning blend. To keep things simple, I like to use garlic powder, onion powder, and salt. But feel free to add in additional herbs and spices. Smoked paprika is great for adding color and flavor.
Preparing the keto chicken nuggets
The preparation steps are so easy that the kids will enjoy making their own:
- Cut the meat into bite sized pieces about 1-inch square.
- Dip each piece into a beaten egg.
- Coat each piece into the seasoned breading mixture.
That’s all there is to it!
It will take about 15 to 20 minutes to cook your low carb chicken nuggets depending on the method you choose.
Baking and frying
Keto chicken nuggets baked in the oven can be a bit dry when using coconut flour. To prevent this, you can spray oil on them before baking.
A better option is to fry them in oil, a couple minutes per side, after they are baked. This will moisten and brown the coating. Alternatively, you can brown them under a broiler for a few minutes after baking.
Using an air fryer
Cooking the nuggets in an air fryer is the easiest method and it only takes 15 minutes. The coating browns up nicely as well.
For best results, you’ll want to oil the air fryer basket and then spritz oil on top of the coated chicken pieces. However, the coating of the air fried nuggets is a bit drier than those fried in oil.
If you prefer, you can make this gluten-free chicken nuggets recipe with almond flour instead. Because it’s not as absorbent as coconut flour, you’ll need to use about twice as much.
The seasonings can be altered as well depending on taste preferences. Feel free to leave out the cumin or smoked paprika. Or add in some herbs like thyme or basil.
You can also up the flavor by adding in a little Parmesan cheese or nutritional yeast into the coating mixture.
Other kid friendly keto recipes
Kids can be really picky eaters. But you can easily get them eating delicious low carb foods. Here’s a few that my kids enjoy eating:
- No Pasta Lasagna
- Cauliflower Cheese Bread
- Creamy Keto Chicken Soup
- Pizza bake with a cream cheese pizza crust
- Keto Cheese Sticks
For more ideas to help your kids cut back on carbs, check out low-carb kids.
Keto Chicken Nuggets
Recipe Video (Click on Image to Play)
- 1.25 pound chicken thighs about 3
- 1/3 cup coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup avocado oil for frying
- Cut the chicken into nugget sized pieces, about 1 inch square. Set aside.
- In small bowl, combine the coconut flour, salt, garlic powder, cumin, onion powder, and smoked paprika. Set aside.
- Beat the eggs in another small bowl. Then dip the chicken pieces into the egg and then coat with the coconut flour mixture.
Baking with Frying Method
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a sheet pan with aluminum foil for easy cleanup and top with a baking rack.
- Place coated nuggets on a baking rack over a sheet pan.
- Bake nuggets in preheated 400°F oven for 15 minutes. During the last few minutes of baking, pour avocado oil in a frying pan and heat to cooking temperature.
- After nuggets are done baking, fry each side in oil until golden brown.
- Brush avocado, coconut, or olive oil on the basket. Place coated nuggets in a single layer in the basket.
- Air fry nuggets at 360°F for 15 minutes or until outside is golden brown.
Get Recipes Delivered Weekly
Join my email list and you’ll receive a free meal plan with 20 keto recipes. Plus, you can opt-in for special offers only for subscribers!
Note on Nutritional Information
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs are not included in carb counts as it has been shown not to impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.
Unauthorized use of this material without written permission from Lisa MarcAurele is strictly prohibited unless for personal offline purposes.
Single photos may be used, provided that full credit is given to LowCarbYum.com along with a link back to the original content.