Looking for a simple, delicious dessert? This yummy paleo strawberry mug cake is low carb and whips up in the microwave in just a couple of minutes!
Get Recipes Delivered Weekly
Join my email list and you’ll receive a free meal plan with 20 keto recipes. Plus, you can opt-in for special offers only for subscribers!
One of the great things about the Keto diet is that you can still indulge your sweet tooth.
After all, I’ve shared a lot of delicious low carb desserts over the years. You’ll find plenty of options for indulging guilt-free!
There are so many decadent recipes out there for cookies, brownies, pies, and more. These desserts are great, but they aren’t always the most convenient to make quickly.
Sometimes, you don’t want sweet treats hanging around the house. Or maybe you just want a little something sweet right now, without going through a big hassle.
This is the perfect time for a super quick minute muffin recipe!
If you aren’t familiar, minute muffins or mug cakes are simple desserts that you cook in the microwave, not the oven. As the name suggests, some are made right in a mug. They are known for being simple to whip up.
This strawberry mug cake is a great example of a delicious, super easy recipe! It’s sure to satisfy your craving for a little something sweet.
I love the way the strawberries help to sweeten the cake. It’s not overly sweet, just the right amount. And the cake texture is soft and satisfying, just what I want from a dessert.
If you’re looking for a little indulgence without a lot of steps, or if you want to make a small dessert for a special occasion, this recipe is for you!
How to make a strawberry mug cake
The beauty of minute muffins is how simple they are to make. And this strawberry recipe is no different!
Prepping strawberry puree
- In a small food processor or blender, add strawberries, melted coconut oil, stevia, and monk fruit.
- Puree until everything is completely combined and liquified.
Making the cake
- In a small ramekin or mug, combine strawberry puree with an egg.
- Mix in coconut flour, almond flour, and baking powder until smooth.
- Microwave for 2 to 3 minutes. It’s best to err on the side of slightly undercooked as it will continue to cook in the dish a bit after you take it out.
- If you plan to frost your mini cake, carefully remove it to a cooling rack. Allow it to completely cool before frosting.
Toppings for a plain paleo mug cake
This cake is really delicious all on it’s own. If you just want a simple dessert, I recommend enjoying it as is!
But if you’re looking for a little something extra, you could top your minute muffin with:
- Fresh berries
- Homemade whipped cream (use coconut cream for paleo)
- Sugar-free chocolate chips
Making this recipe for a special occasion? Consider frosting your cake for a fancy touch!
I recommend frosting your strawberry mug cake with:
- The low carb buttercream from my coconut flour cupcakes
- The low carb frosting from my cupcakes with strawberry cream cheese frosting
To prepare a romantic mini-cake, start by making two minute muffins. Allow both to cool completely, then stack one cake on top of the other with a layer of frosting between. Finish frosting the outside.
And there you have a lovely mini-cake! Perfect for sharing with your sweetheart on Valentine’s Day or for a birthday.
Personally, I enjoy the flavor of this cake all on it’s own. Frosting adds a bit too much sweetness for me.
However, I do think this cake looks very pretty when stacked and frosted. So I will still go that route for special occasions.
Adding color to your paleo strawberry cake
I was a bit surprised when I first made this recipe that the strawberries didn’t add more color.
I was hoping to get a nice pink color. Instead, this cake turns out more of a dull pink. It even fades a little purple as it cools.
I don’t really mind the color because the cake itself is delicious. But if you want your cake to turn out a bit more vibrant, you could try adding:
- McCormick natural red food coloring
- Beet juice (great for adding color, but make sure to account for additional carbs)
- Hibiscus tea
Do you like to add color to dishes like this? Or do you prefer to keep it simple and just enjoy your dessert?
Other low carb mug cake recipes
Looking for a few more single-serving desserts you can make in your microwave? Check out a few of these favorites:
- Paleo Choc Mug Cake is a quick, low carb snack that only takes about two minutes to make from scratch!
- Keto Pumpkin Mug Cake is a delicious, seasonal recipe that only requires a mug and a microwave to make.
- Blueberry Mug Cake is a tasty, easy recipe that makes two servings, so you can choose to share or save some for later.
- Keto Mug Brownie is a decadent, gooey brownie that is sure to satisfy your chocolate craving!
- Keto Birthday Cake Alternative is the perfect solution when you need a personal sized low carb cake for someone special.
Other keto Valentine’s Day ideas
If you need a few more ideas for a romantic dinner for two, give these other recipes a try:
- Nutty Cheese Crisps are a homemade treat that any loved one eating low carb will enjoy
- Strawberry Mousse Pie can be downsized in a mini pie or tart pan serve only two people.
- Reverse Sear Steak is the best method to get a seared outside and medium rare inside.
- Ginger Pork is a quick and easy dinner that’t perfect for two.
★ Follow Me on FACEBOOK, PINTEREST and INSTAGRAM for more keto friendly recipe ideas.
★ Sign up for my NEWSLETTER to get the latest updates and a FREE Meal Plan.
Strawberry Coconut Flour Mug Cake
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
- buttercream frosting optional
- strawberries optional
- whipped cream optional
- Microwave coconut oil in small 2 cup microwaveable ramekin or Pyrex dish just until slightly melted.
- Place strawberries in small food processor or blender. Add in coconut oil, stevia, and monk fruit. Puree until completely combined and liquified.
- Pour mixture into same 2 cup dish or large mug. Stir in egg with a fork.
- Add in the coconut flour and baking powder. Stir with fork until smooth.
- Microwave for 2 1/2 to 3 minutes. Carefully remove to cooling rack.
- Enjoy right from the container or remove and cool completely on a rack. Frost with buttercream, or top with strawberry slices and whipped cream.
Join my Facebook Group for help with recipes and weight loss support!
Note on Nutritional Information
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs are not included in carb counts as it has been shown not to impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.
Unauthorized use of this material without written permission from Lisa MarcAurele is strictly prohibited unless for personal offline purposes.
Single photos may be used, provided that full credit is given to LowCarbYum.com along with a link back to the original content.
First Published: February 2, 2017… Last Updated: January 21, 2019