Fire up the grill for these yummy low carb chicken fajitas on skewers. You’ll love them as a keto appetizer or meal. Perfect for a barbecue!
Can you believe the summer is almost over? I’ve already seen people posting the kids back to school photos! Seems like the summer months have just flown by!
We usually host a few summer barbecues. This year, we only had one outside get together around Memorial Day.
I do a lot of grilling in the summer. It’s because I love to add grilled meats to a basic tossed salad and turn it into a meal. For that, I’ll just slice up the meat after it’s cooked.
Grilled meat tastes best when it’s been marinated for a day. But, I rarely do that because I’m not a good planner. There’s also more flavor it the meat is cut and marinated before grilling. However, the smaller pieces are hard to grill without skewers.
With these low carb chicken fajitas on skewers, you’ll get a delicious Mexican spice blend in each bite. Fajitas are typically cooked in a skilled, but I’ve also seen recipes that bake them. By cooking them on the grill, you’ll get an added smoky flavor.
Fajitas are typically made with chicken or steak. For this recipe, chicken thigh filets are used. You’ll want to chop up the meat first before marinating.
To cut back on the carbs, I chose to leave the onions out and stick with just peppers. I’m not a big onion eater anyway. If you prefer, you can add in some red onion pieces.
I find it’s best to marinate the pieces for these low carb chicken fajitas in a big plastic zipper back. You’ll also want to prep it the day before so it can marinate in the refrigerator for about 24 hours.
The great thing about kebabs is that you don’t need a fork to eat them. We always seem to run out of disposable forks at barbecues. So, with these chicken fajita kebabs skewers, there’s no worries!
There is a little more prep work involved as you’ll need to place the pieces on skewers after marinating, But, it doesn’t take very long to do that.
We are in the middle of a heat wave right now. But, the hot summer days rarely last long in New England. When the temperatures do rise outside, I’d rather cook inside the air conditioned kitchen.
Low Carb Chicken Fajitas on Skewers Recipe
Are you planning an outdoor summer party? What’s your favorite food to serve at a barbecue? Need some more ideas? Below are a few of my favorites:
Chicken Fajita Kebabs
- 6 pieces chicken thigh fillets chopped into pieces, about 2
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon cayenne powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin seed
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 teaspoon Sukrin Gold or 5 drops SweetLeaf stevia clear
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 inch medium green bell pepper cut to 1
- 1 inch medium red bell pepper cut to 1
- 1 jalapeño or green chili
- 1/2 cup celery leaves
- 2 tablespoons to 3 water
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 medium red onion optional
- Season chicken thigh fillet with salt, black pepper, chili powder, cayenne powder and half of ground cumin seed. Top with garlic. Marinate for 1 hour inside the refrigerator then transfer to a ziplock plastic bag.
- Add sweetener (Sukrin Gold or stevia) to apple cider vinegar.
- Drizzle lime juice and apple cider vinegar mixture over seasoned chicken fillet.
- Add celery leaves, red bell pepper, green bell pepper,jalapeño or green chili, and onion (if using)
- Marinate seasoned chicken fillet for 24 hours.
- Arrange pieces on a barbeque stick. Get one piece of chicken fillet, add celery leaf on one side and fold then place on a stick. Do this to all the chicken fillet. Alternately add chicken and bell pepper onto the stick. Add in red onion slices if using.
- Sprinkle smoked paprika and the remaining cumin.
- Grill for about 5 to 8 minutes or until thoroughly cooked. Use the remaining marinade mixture for basting.
- Serve immediately. Enjoy!
- Net Carbs 2.9g
- % Carbs: 4%
- % Protein: 60.7%
- % Fat: 35.3%
Note on Nutritional Information
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs are not included in carb counts as it has been shown not to impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.