Seafood restaurants are a keto dieter's dream – with low-carb proteins and high-fat butter toppings, your daily macros will thank you! Explore the best Red Lobster keto options, along with ordering tips and items to avoid.
If you're craving fresh fish on a keto diet, Red Lobster is a great option for eating out. They have an abundant selection of keto-friendly seafood with everything from lobster to salmon to garlic shrimp scampi.
But navigating the menu in person can be tricky, especially when some of their dishes include sneaky high-carb extras that could affect your ketosis.
In this post, I'll teach you how to build your Red Lobster keto meal in confidence with net carbs listed for your convenience.
Interested in how to eat low-carb at other popular chains? We have tons of content on keto options at Popeyes, Arby's, and more.
How to eat keto at Red Lobster
Dive into our Red Lobster keto menu for delicious seafood, side dishes, and extras.
The appetizers at Red Lobster are far from keto-friendly. If you're really craving one, however, choose between these options with moderate carb counts and share one with the table.
- Starter seafood stuffed mushrooms - 16g net carbs
- New England clam chowder cup - 11g net carbs
- Classic Caesar salad (no croutons)
Note - Red Lobster does not list their macros per ingredient. So, salad carb counts without croutons are unavailable.
There are so many delicious keto main dishes at Red Lobster, it may be hard for you to choose!
Pick a tasty seafood main or a steak.
- Live Maine lobster (steamed) - 0g net carbs
- Lobster and shrimp topped sirloin - 5g net carbs
- Maine lobster tail duo - 1g net carbs
- Garlic shrimp scampi - 5g net carbs
- Perfectly grilled fish; Atlantic salmon - >1g net carbs
- Garlic grilled shrimp skewers - 1g net carbs
- Salmon New Orleans (half or full) - 7g net carbs
- Perfectly grilled fish; rainbow trout
- Wild-caught snow crab legs - 0g net carbs
- Atlantic salmon (blackened) - 1g net carbs
- Grilled lobster, shrimp, and salmon - 4g net carbs
- Atlantic salmon (grilled or oven-boiled) - 0g net carbs
- Wild caught broiled flounder - 0g net carbs
- Steak 6oz filet mignon - 2g net carbs
- Steak 7 oz sirloin - 1g net carbs
- Wood-grilled sirloin - 1g net carbs
- Steak 10oz new york strip - 1g net carbs
Or, enjoy the best of both worlds with some surf & turf!
- Surf & Turf: Maine Lobster tail & 7 oz. sirloin - 1g net carbs
Want a little extra protein on the side? Try one of these add-ons:
- Garlic shrimp scampi - 2g net carbs
- Grilled shrimp skewer - 0g net carbs
- Maine lobster tail - <1 g net carbs
Keto side dishes
Most of Red Lobster's sides are starchy and high-carb. But there are a few for you to choose from:
- Coleslaw - 8g net carbs
- Fresh broccoli - 7g net carbs
- Side caesar salad (no croutons)
- Side house salad (no croutons)
Condiments and extras
Top your main dish with these yummy extras:
- Pure melted butter - 0g net carbs
- Sour cream - 0g net carbs
- Blue cheese dressing - 2g net carbs
- Caesar dressing - 0g net carbs
- Marinara sauce - 4g net carbs
- Pico de gallo - 2g net carbs
- Tartar sauce - 4g net carbs
Finish off your meal with these keto drinks at Red Lobster:
- Unsweetened iced tea - 1g net carbs
- Diet Pepsi - 0g net carbs
- Bottled water - 0g net carbs
- Coffee - 0g net carbs
- 6oz glass of wine - 5g net carbs
- Classic margarita rocks - 8g net carbs
- Bottled beer light - 6g net carbs
- Draft beer light - 7g net carbs
Items to avoid at Red Lobster
Though tasty, these Red Lobster menu items are high in carbohydrates and added sugars, so they should be avoided at all costs:
- Pasta dishes
- Cheddar bay biscuits
- Breaded & crispy proteins
- Ex. Walt's favorite shrimp
- Cocktail sauce (11g net carbs in addition to your meal!)
- Garlic grilled scallops
- Roasted garlic mussels
- Fried appetizers
- Deceiving side dishes
- Green beans
- Brussels sprouts
Ordering tips for Red Lobster
Here are a few tips to follow when ordering low-carb at Red Lobster:
1. Two words – surf & turf
Focus your attention on the delicious seafood and beef offerings that Red Lobster serves.
Pick grilled proteins over fried, battered versions, and you'll have a delicious base for your Red Lobster meal.
You can even try protein add-ons to provide a little extra satiety.
2. Beware of deceiving side dishes
Both Red Lobster's green beans and brussels sprouts have crazy high carb counts!
Avoid these deceiving veggies and opt for some fresh broccoli or coleslaw instead.
3. Pick high-fat additions
Lobster and butter go together like peanut butter and jelly.
Make sure to add pure melted butter to your order for extra fat content.
Here are a few answers to the most frequently asked questions about eating keto at Red Lobster. If you don't see your question in this list, please leave it for me in the comments.
You can absolutely eat lobster on a keto diet.
Lobster is a carb-free protein source with 0g net carbs! Make it even more keto-friendly by eating it with a rich butter sauce for additional fat content.
Remember, keto dieters do need to limit their protein intake, focusing on fat content. So, eat lobster in moderation!
Lucky us! The shrimp scampi at Red Lobster is keto-friendly, with 5g net carbs for a main dish and 2g net carbs for an add-on.
Enjoy this well-loved menu item without guilt.
Surprisingly, the Brussels sprouts at Red Lobster aren't suitable for a low-carb diet.
Though the vegetable in itself is keto-friendly, Red Lobster prepares their dish with high-carb ingredients giving an order of Brussels sprouts a whopping 37 grams of net carbs!
Instead, opt for a side order of fresh broccoli or a side house salad.
Red Lobster does not have a diet menu available online.
However, they have an online calorie and nutrition tool to help you track your macros and check for possible allergens.
It's actually very easy to eat keto at a seafood restaurant if you focus on what they're known for – the fish!
Begin your meal with a low-carb protein like salmon, lobster, or shrimp. Add more fat content where you can with butter and high-fat, low-carb sauces. Round off your meal with a low-carb side dish like fresh vegetables, or opt for an additional protein add-on.
If reading all about eating keto at Red Lobster have you craving fresh seafood, here are some low-carb recipes you can make at home! All of them will effectively replace anything you can order at the chain.
- Keto Salmon Patties with Canned Meat is super convenient and take just minutes to make.
- Grilled Shrimp Kabobs have an amazing smoky flavor with low-carb veggies and Italian seasoning.
- Baked Sea Scallops with Crispy Gluten Free Topping make a wonderful appetizer for a seafood spread.
- Easy Keto Lobster Bisque is creamy and delicious with lobster tails, butter, and heavy cream.
- Sirloin Steak Tips are made tender and flavorful in a slow cooker.
Follow us on FACEBOOK, PINTEREST, and INSTAGRAM for even more tasty keto-friendly recipes!
Leave a Reply