These low carb sugar free chocolate topped peanut butter cup squares are an easy to make alternative to the famous peanut butter cup candy.
Are you a lover of the popular peanut butter cup candy? I certainly am. It doesn’t get much better than the flavor of yummy peanut butter coated in chocolate.
This is a modification of the low carb peanut butter fudge recipe. Although I liked the fudge, I thought the Splenda made it too sweet and it was a bit plain. What it really needed was a layer of chocolate on top!
For this recipe, I changed the sweetener to a mixture of stevia and erythritol which tones down the sweetness. I also spread melted chocolate on top. It now tastes just like a Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup! I think these squares would taste amazing cut up and blended into low carb vanilla ice cream – a homemade low carb DQ Blizzard.
LOW CARB TIPS and TRICKS
Subscribe now to receive your free copy of Low Carb Tips and Tricks which includes 20 easy to prepare recipes. Plus, get access to the weekly newsletter and special offers only for subscribers!
This low carb peanut butter cup square candy is very similar to a recipe that I learned how to make in middle school Home Economics class. That recipe mixed graham cracker crumbs into the peanut butter mixture as well as regular powdered sugar.
This low carb version brought back memories of my days as a young teenager learning how to make food with friends. In fact, I still have the handwritten note that my classmate gave me for the original peanut butter cup bar recipe we made together in 8th grade. I loved the recipe so much, I kept it in my mother’s Better Homes and Gardens cookbook that was later handed down to me since I used the cookbook much more than my mom. It’s great to be able to enjoy the same taste in a much healthier version of the peanut butter cup candy recipe.
Low Carb Peanut Butter Cup Squares
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2/3 cup low carb whey protein powder, vanilla flavor
- 1/2 cup powdered erythritol or Swerve Confectioners Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon stevia extract
- 1/2 cup natural sugar-free peanut butter
- 3/4 cup sugar-free chocolate chips
- 2 Tablespoons natural sugar-free peanut butter
- Line an 11×7 baking dish with waxed paper.
- In medium bowl, mix the butter, whey protein powder, erythritol, stevia and peanut butter together. Spread mixture in the bottom of prepared pan.
- In Pyrex or metal bowl over pot of simmering water, melt chocolate chips with the peanut butter, stirring until smooth. Pour melted chocolate over peanut butter mixture and spread evenly to cover top.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour before cutting into squares. Keep in the refrigerator for snacking.
Nutrition per square: 79 calories, 6.4g fat, 34mg sodium, 2.0g carb, 1.0g fiber, 1.0g net carb, 2.8g protein, 5.1g erythritol