This is how to make your favorite crock pot crack chicken recipe as a keto meal. It has the same flavors, but only 4g net carbs per serving! When you are craving something new for dinner, try this chicken recipe.
I love easy slow cooker meals.
You just can't beat the ease of putting everything in the pot, hitting the "on" button, and then walking away. Dinner is cooked and ready on time. No more standing over the stove and adding things in multiple steps!
And, this keto crack chicken recipe is exactly just that. It's a one-step slow cooker recipe that will give you more time to focus on other things.
You must give the dish a try. This crock pot recipe is loaded with flavor! In fact, it has a lot of the same flavors like a loaded baked potato - bacon, cheddar cheese, and onions. In my personal opinion, that combination of cheese and bacon is unmatched.
I finally know why they call this a "crack chicken recipe" - it's so addicting that you won't want to stop eating it!
Ingredients Needed For Keto Crack Chicken
All of the ingredients for this recipe are in the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post. First, here is some information about the substitutions you can make.
For the meat, I used boneless and skinless chicken thighs since it's usually juicy and a bit fattier than chicken breasts.
But, if you prefer chicken breasts, you can swap them out. They are interchangeable and both taste perfect in this recipe.
For the cheese, I used both shredded cheddar and cream cheese. If you don't have cream cheese, you can substitute it with mascarpone or ricotta cheese. It will still be super creamy!
Bacon and Onions
Don't forget the bacon! For keto, always avoid maple-cured bacon.
The green onions give it a lot of vibrant flavors and an additional crunch, but it is the herbs and spices that really set this apart from other recipes.
Typical crack chicken uses ranch dressing seasoning. I decided to use a combination of dried parsley, chives, dill weed, garlic powder, and onion powder and make some myself!
Please note: Check out the recipe card at the bottom for a full list of ingredients used to make this low-carb recipe.
- Use a packaged ranch seasoning mix! If you want to use a packet of ranch seasoning mix in place of the herbs and spices I used, just make sure it is a keto-friendly version. Avoid anything that has wheat flour, corn starch, or added sugars in it.
- You can turn this into a skillet recipe with a few ingredients hacks. Use shredded rotisserie chicken and mix it in with the rest of the ingredients in a skillet. When all the ingredients are melted together, dinner is ready!
- You don't have to shred the cheddar cheese. If all you have is a block of cheddar cheese, just roughly chop it up so that it melts in the slow cooker.
- Use pork instead! Crack chicken is a very popular recipe that basically took over the internet. Even though everyone prefers to use chicken, try this recipe with a pork loin. It will shred up just as easily as the chicken and have the same light flavor too!
How To Make Crock Pot Crack Chicken
All of the exact steps for this recipe are in the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post. First, here are some step-by-step photos and even more tips about this delicious recipe.
Add Seasoned Chicken To Crock Pot
Place the chicken in the bottom of the slow cooker first. This will help it cook completely and quickly.
Then, sprinkle the spices on top of the chicken.
Add The Cheeses
Cut up the cream cheese and lay them all around the chicken. If you spread them out evenly, they will melt at the same rate and make the chicken nice and creamy.
Let It Slow Cook
That's all you need to do before you let it cook all day at a low temp!
Shred Cooked Chicken
When you are about ready to eat, shred the chicken and then add the bacon and shredded cheddar cheese.
Serve and Enjoy!
Put the lid back on and allow the cheese to melt. Once it's done melting, it's ready to eat!
What To Serve With Cheesy Bacon Chicken
I'll admit that this is a very filling main course. From the bacon and chicken to the different types of cheeses, a little bit goes a long way. All you need to make this a complete meal is some more low-carb veggies!
This would taste amazing with some mashed cauliflower. You could even place the chicken on top of the cauliflower mash and make a hearty bowl.
Broccoli is another keto-friendly vegetable that tastes delicious with cheesy chicken recipes like this one. Make roasted broccoli on the side and top with extra cheese!
Frequently Asked Questions About Crock Pot Crack Chicken
Before we get to the recipe, here are some questions people often ask about keto crack chicken.
Is ranch keto-friendly?
It can be... With that said, make sure to read the nutrition label before you use any pre-made seasoning packet. As long as it doesn't have any added sugars or grains, it is keto-friendly.
I prefer to make my own seasoning mixes from herbs and spices. I am able to control the taste better as well as use cleaner ingredients.
How do you store leftover keto crack chicken?
Just store your leftover crack chicken in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week!
You will notice that the cheese will harden as it chills. To make it melted again, just heat it up in a saucepan over low heat and it will all melt and become creamy once again.
Can I use frozen chicken thighs or breasts?
Yes, you can certainly use frozen chicken instead of fresh or even thawed chicken. If you choose to use frozen chicken, just add a bit more time to your overall cooking time.
One thing that is important to remember is that you should always use boneless and skinless chicken pieces. This way, as it cooks, you won't find any chicken bones in your casserole!
Other Slow Cooker Recipes To Try
If you enjoyed this crock pot crack chicken recipe, here are some more slow cooker recipes you should try next.
These are some of my go-to's:
- Keto Mexican Chicken Soup is slightly-spicy with a creamy broth and it's perfect when you are craving Mexican food.
- Keto Crustless Pizza Chicken Casserole tastes just like your favorite pizza, but without the crust.
- Low Carb Pot Roast is a classic recipe and when you use a slow cooker, it makes a thick gravy that you can drizzle on top of mashed cauliflower.
- Pork Curry has all of the best Indian spices; but since you make it in your slow cooker, it takes almost no effort to make.
- Crock Pot Beef and Broccoli is another copycat recipe with traditional Asian flavors.
Keto Crack Chicken
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs about 8 pieces
- 2¼ teaspoon dried chives
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 2¼ teaspoon dried dill weed
- 2¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- ⅔ cup chopped cooked bacon about 8 or 9 strips
- 1 ¼ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- ¼ cups green onions
- Place the chicken thighs into the bottom of the Crockpot.
- Sprinkle the ranch seasoning over the chicken.
- Cut the cream cheese into pieces and place it on top of the chicken.
- Close the lid of the Crockpot and cook on high for 4 hours without disturbing.
- Remove the lid, shred the chicken with two forks and stir the ingredients to combine well.
- Add the cheddar cheese, bacon and green onions to the top of the chicken, place the lid on the Crock Pot and allow the cheese to melt.
- Remove the lid and serve.
Notes on Nutritional Information
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs are not included in carb counts as it has been shown not to impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.
© LowCarbYum.com - Unauthorized use of this material without written permission is strictly prohibited unless for personal offline purposes. Single photos may be used, provided that full credit is given to LowCarbYum.com along with a link back to the original content.