Think you have no time to cook a decent low-carb chicken soup? Think again! This keto Mexican chicken soup recipe requires only 4 simple ingredients. Simply dump them in and let the crockpot do all the cooking.
I don’t know about you but, I usually overeat when I’m surrounded by food. Therefore, one of my goals is to spend less time in the kitchen.
But I still need to be able to make healthy low-carb meals for me and my family. Plus, getting out of the kitchen also helps keep me from snacking too much- And, low carb soups are an easy way to get back on track.
So, I’ve been making more easy recipes like this low-carb Mexican chicken soup using my crockpot!
I personally love ‘dump and go’ recipes and I’d like to get back into using the slow cooker more often for simple soup recipes like this keto Mexican soup.
Ingredients Needed For Crockpot Mexican Chicken Soup
You only need a few whole ingredients to make this delicious slow cooker soup. With just 4 simple ingredients, you’ll have dinner everyone will love in no time.
All of the exact ingredients’ amounts are in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post.
Here’s a quick list of what I used in my chicken soup:
I used boneless, skinless chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts. Chicken thighs tend to be a bit fattier and juicier where chicken breasts can be drier or easily overcooked in the crockpot.
For this Mexican soup recipe, I used jarred salsa from Tostitos. You can also easily make your own!
3. Bone Broth
I like to make my own chicken bone broth in my Instant Pot every few weeks to have on hand for recipes like this. If you don’t have time to make your own, I recommend buying a few from a keto-friendly brand like Kettle and Fire.
I prefer to use Monterrey or pepper jack cheese for this Mexican soup recipe. You can always swap it out for mozzarella cheese as well.
Please note: Check out the recipe card at the bottom for a full list of ingredients used to make this low carb recipe.
- Looking for a little bit of a kick? You can add a few slices of fresh or pickled jalapenos over the top of the soup when you serve it to get an added spicy flavor. You can also add a can of diced green chilies for a milder spice flavor.
- Don’t add the cheese whole. Make sure to cube or shred the cheese you choose to add to the soup so it melts consistently.
- Use leftover shredded chicken. If you want to speed things along, use leftover roasted or rotisserie chicken that’s already cooked. That way, you just shred the cooked chicken and heat the soup until it’s hot and the cheese is melted.
How To Make Mexican Chicken Soup In The Crockpot
I have a really brief overview of how to make these chicken soup with how-to pictures. If you want the entire step-by-step recipe, it’s in the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.
As I mentioned above, you only need 4 ingredients to make this ridiculously easy keto chicken soup in the slow cooker. And, it’s a dump and go recipe that gets you out of the kitchen fast!
Simply drop in the raw chicken, salsa, chicken broth, and cheese into your crockpot, turn it on, and walk away.
It’s that easy!
How To Shred The Cooked Chicken
The chicken will be fully cooked after a few hours. That’s when you want to take it out and shred it up into smaller pieces. Once it’s shredded, add the chicken to the crockpot.
Method #1: Forks
One way to pull apart the chicken is by using two forks.
Method #2: Shredder Claws
I bought these shredder claws to pull apart my pulled pork but you can also use them for this chicken recipe!
Method #3: Electric Hand Mixer
The quickest way is by placing the chicken in a mixing bowl and shredding it with an electric hand mixer to speed up the process.
Now, since the chicken is fully cooked, the soup is ready to be served.
What To Serve With Keto Mexican Soup
While this soup is perfect on its own, I sometimes like to serve this keto chicken soup with Mexican cauliflower rice and some sliced avocados.
Frequently Asked Questions About Low Carb Chicken Soup
You are seriously going to love this recipe! Before I get to the printable card next, I wanted to answer some questions people ask about chicken soup.
How do I avoid overcooking this chicken soup?
Using a programmable crock pot allows you to set the cooking time. Then, it automatically switches to the warm setting.
So if you’re going to be out most of the day, it’s best to use one slow cooker with a programmable timer.
Can I make this soup ahead of time?
You can easily prepare this low carb chicken soup in the morning before work and allow it cook while you are away. That’s because preparation can easily done in less than 5 minutes!
You’ll come home from work with a hot meal cooked and ready to eat. All you need to do is shred the chicken and it’s good to go!
Can I freeze this Mexican chicken soup?
Yes, you can! You just need to make sure to leave out the cheese as dairy doesn’t freeze well.
When you are ready to eat, thaw out the Mexican soup in the crockpot and add the cheese cubes. Allow everything to melt together and serve!
Why You’ll Love This Slow Cooker Mexican chicken soup
There’s very little work you have to do to enjoy a delicious bowl of crock pot Mexican chicken soup for lunch or dinner other than shredding the chicken.
This keto soup is only about 400 calories per serving with around 5g net carbs. The fat content is fairly high too!
With about 20 grams per servings, it really fills you up and keeps you full for hours.
Other Low Carb Soup Recipes To Try
If you want another simple ‘dump and go’ soup recipe, take a look at these keto soup recipes!
These are some of my favorites:
- Keto Clam Chowder is the perfect substitute if you don’t have everything you need to make this lobster bisque recipe. It’s just as creamy and delicious!
- Low Carb Broccoli Cheese Soup is perfect if you like the one from Panera Bread. It’s practically the same, except this low carb version is made with cheddar and has fewer carbs.
- Unstuffed Cabbage Soup is a dream for cabbage roll fans! Filled with juicy ground beef and chunks of cabbage, this soup recipe is perfect to serve when cold weather strikes.
- Low Carb Taco Soup is a family favorite, especially on Taco Tuesday! All it takes is 15 minutes of your time.
- Keto Cream Of Chicken Soup is rich, creamy, and bursting with delicious flavor! It’s hearty enough to serve for dinner with a slice of keto cornbread.
Low Carb Crock Pot Chicken Soup
Recipe Video (Click on Image to Play)
- 1 ½ pounds chicken pieces boneless/skinless, I used thigh meat
- 15.5 ounces chunky salsa I used Tostitos
- 15 ounces chicken bone broth
- 8 ounces Monterey or Pepper Jack cheese cubed small or shredded
- Place chicken pieces at the bottom of a 6 quart crock pot.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Cook on high 3-4 hours or low 6-8 hours.
- Remove chicken pieces and shred chicken. Return to crock.
- Serve hot.
Array ( [serving_size] => 1 [calories] => 331 [carbohydrates] => 5 [protein] => 25 [fat] => 23 [saturated_fat] => 10 [cholesterol] => 91 [sodium] => 1032 [potassium] => 441 [fiber] => 1 [sugar] => 3 [vitamin_a] => 750 [vitamin_c] => 7.6 [calcium] => 317 [iron] => 1.4 [serving_unit] => bowl )
FREE EMAIL SERIES
My Top 5 Secrets to Master Keto!
Note on Nutritional Information
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs are not included in carb counts as it has been shown not to impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.
Unauthorized use of this material without written permission from Lisa MarcAurele is strictly prohibited unless for personal offline purposes.
Single photos may be used, provided that full credit is given to LowCarbYum.com along with a link back to the original content.
Updated on February 4, 2021, with additional recipe information and new images. First published January 3, 2016.