It's so easy to make a slow cooker beef and broccoli in your crock pot. You don't even have to brown the meat first - just dump it all in and cook!
Why you'll love it
This crock pot beef and broccoli can be ready in less than 3 hours with the slow cooker on low. The meat turns out very tender and juicy.
Make your own low carb version when you are craving takeout from a Chinese restaurant! With the same soy sauce umami flavors and sweetness (without brown sugar), you'll love how this tastes.
This tender beef makes an absolutely delicious meal. It's one of the best ways that I've found to cook broccoli.
You'll be able to feed your entire family with this recipe. Or, use it for your meal prep throughout the week.
You only need a handful of simple ingredients to make slow cooker beef and broccoli. Here's some more information about what I used in my slow cooker beef recipe.
Use your favorite type of thinly sliced beef. I used grass-fed sirloin steak. Other delicious options include stew meat, flank steak, or sliced chuck roast.
To make the sauce, use your favorite beef stock or broth. Stock will have a richer and thicker flavor, but broth can work too.
Fresh minced garlic gives the beef and broccoli recipe a bolder flavor than garlic powder.
My father always used to add fresh ginger to his dishes! I didn't have any ginger root on hand, so I put in a small amount of minced ginger that comes in a jar.
Use low-sodium soy sauce. If you are gluten-free, use coconut aminos or tamari sauce.
SweetLeaf Stevia drops
You'll need to use a liquid sweetener. If you don't have SweetLeaf Stevia drops, use this keto sweetener conversion chart to replace it with a similar sweetener.
I prefer to cook with avocado oil, but you can use olive or coconut oil in this recipe.
Red pepper flakes
The red pepper flakes add a bit of heat to the beef and broccoli!
My father, an Asian cook, always served dinners with meat, a vegetable, and white rice. He used to make a delicious beef and broccoli dish, but he thickened the sauce with cornstarch.
I do find it best to thicken up the sauce, so I sprinkled in some xanthan gum instead. You can also use guar gum, glucomannan, or even a little psyllium powder if you don't like using xanthan gum.
I used frozen broccoli florets for convenience. Fresh broccoli florets can be used instead if you prefer that.
I didn't want it to be overcooked, so I added it in for the last 30 minutes of cooking time!
Please note: Check out the recipe card at the bottom for a full list of ingredients used to make this low-carb recipe.
- Sear steak first. This is optional, but it will lock the juices in the meat.
- Use a large enough slow cooker. I used a 2-quart slow cooker for this recipe.
- Add broccoli last. Don't add the florets until the last 30 minutes of cooking, so they don't overcook.
It’s super easy to make homemade slow cooker beef and broccoli. You just add everything except the broccoli to the crock pot. Then, let it cook all day, adding the broccoli at the end.
Here's more info on how to make it!
Add ingredients to the slow cooker
Add steak, beef stock, garlic, ginger, coconut aminos, stevia, oil, and red pepper flakes into a small crock pot. Cook on low for 2-3 hours until meat is cooked.
Mix in broccoli and xanthan gum
Add the xanthan gum to thicken the sauce. Then, 30 minutes before you serve this meal, add the broccoli and let it cook.
This crockpot beef and broccoli is comfort food that reminds me of the meals I had growing up. I'm sure my father would approve even though he has never cooked anything in a slow cooker.
Since I no longer eat white rice, I cooked up some easy cauliflower rice in the microwave. My youngest daughter loves the riced cauliflower. But, my husband refuses to try it.
If you know someone that isn't on the keto diet, you can serve them brown rice.
Before you serve this meal, garnish with green onions. This tender beef tastes incredible with some bang bang cauliflower on the side!
Start out this delicious meal with a light and crispy Sunomono Japanese cucumber salad. It's the perfect way to start out this filling meal.
There are a lot of different ways you can change up this beef and broccoli recipe. If you make any adjustments, please let me know in the comments.
- Add more veggies. Don't stop with broccoli. Mix in some mushrooms and bell peppers.
- Make it spicier. Add a dash of cayenne pepper or paprika to the beef.
- Garnish it. Sprinkle sesame seeds on top before you serve it.
- Add oyster sauce. A dash of this salty sauce gives it a full flavor.
Below are some questions people often ask about making this slow cooker beef and broccoli recipe. If you don't see your question in this list, please leave it in the comments.
Yes, I love cooking with sesame oil. You can use it in place of the avocado oil; just use less of it.
The sauce is made with a combination of beef broth, soy sauce, avocado oil, and xanthan gum.
Xanthan gum is the most effective way to thicken sauces on the keto diet. It is carb-free and works just like cornstarch.
Yes, it is because I used a gluten-free soy sauce and did not use any other ingredients that contain gluten.
Add all the uncooked ingredients (except the xanthan gum and broccoli) to a freezer-safe food storage bag to make this a freezer meal. Then, seal it thoroughly and store it in the freezer flat.
When you are ready to cook it, let it thaw overnight in the refrigerator. Then, place all the contents of the bag into your slow cooker. It's that easy!
It will stay fresh in your freezer for up to six months.
Slow Cooker Crock Pot Beef and Broccoli
- 1 pound steak sliced, I used grass-fed sirloin
- 1 cup beef stock or broth
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- ⅛ teaspoon ginger grated
- ⅓ cup gluten-free soy sauce or tamari or coconut aminos
- ¼ teaspoon SweetLeaf stevia drops or ½ teaspoon liquid monk fruit
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil or sesame oil for more traditional flavor
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes double for extra spice (leave out for AIP)
- 12 ounces frozen broccoli florets or fresh if desired
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum or glucomannon powder for AIP
- Add steak, beef stock, garlic, ginger, coconut aminos, stevia, oil, and red pepper flakes into a small crock pot ( I used a 2 quart). Cook on low for 2-3 hours until meat is cooked.
- Sprinkle in xanthan gum (or glucomannon) to thicken. Stir in broccoli florets and cook on low 30 minutes more.
Notes on Nutritional Information
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs are not included in carb counts as it has been shown not to impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.
© LowCarbYum.com - Unauthorized use of this material without written permission is strictly prohibited unless for personal offline purposes. Single photos may be used, provided that full credit is given to LowCarbYum.com along with a link back to the original content.
If you enjoyed this recipe, I have more slow cooker recipes you should check out next. They are some of my favorite easy keto recipes.
- Low Carb Roast Beef is also gluten-free and really easy to make in the slow cooker.
- Venison Chili is incredibly flavorful, and you can make it with your favorite type of ground meat.
- Keto Shredded Teriyaki Chicken is another delicious Asian-inspired recipe that you can make in the slow cooker.
- Slow Cooker Filipino Beef Steak has the classic flavors I remember from my childhood.
- Ginger Lime Sweet Pork only has 1.9 grams net carbs in each serving and is a fantastically different recipe for families.
First published March 10, 2017. Last updated August 16, 2022, with new images and additional recipe information.