A healthy asparagus stuffed chicken breast recipe baked in olive oil and balsamic vinegar. This easy chicken asparagus dish makes a wonderful keto meal.
Get Recipes Delivered Weekly
Join the Low Carb Yum email list and you’ll receive a free meal plan with 20 keto recipes. Plus, you can opt-in for special offers only for subscribers!
Love asparagus? You’ll want to give this easy stuffed chicken breast recipe a try. It’s a simple recipe for busy people or those just getting started on a low carb diet.
I’m always trying out simple low carb chicken recipes to add to my collection. And stuffed chicken may sound complicated, but it isn’t. It’s just a flattened piece of meat wrapped around a filling.
To make this healthy asparagus stuffed chicken recipe, I’m just wrapping seasoned chicken breasts around a few spears of asparagus. Then, I just bake it with a homemade vinegar and oil dressing. That’s it!
Some may need more detailed instructions. So I’m going to show you exactly how I make this simple main dish. And with only five ingredients and a few steps, even a beginner can make it with ease.
How to make asparagus stuffed chicken
The oil and vinegar seasoning blend is made first. It’s just a blend of olive oil, vinegar, garlic, and salt that are whisked together in a small bowl.
I like to have the dressing ready to go before stuffing the chicken breast with asparagus. But you could prep it after the chicken is in the baking dish. That way, it’s ready to pour over the asparagus stuffed chicken.
To stuff the chicken, each breast piece will need to be flattened out with a mallet. If you don’t own a mallet, you can improvise by using one of the following:
- rolling pin
- Cast iron skillet
- Cutting board
It’s best to wrap the meat in something like a zipper bag so it doesn’t contaminate. And if you want some tips for flattening chicken, take a look at this reddit thread. It’s especially helpful if you’ve never used a mallet or one of the alternatives to flatten out meat.
Once you have each chicken breast to about ¼ inch or so, it’s time to stuff them. To do that, place three asparagus at one end of a breast. Then wrap the meat around the asparagus, securing with toothpicks as needed. Repeat for all the breasts.
The stuffed chicken is then arranged into a baking dish. The oil and vinegar mixture is then whisked briefly to combine and poured evenly over the chicken. Finally, it’s baked in a 375°F pre-heated oven for 25-30 minutes or until the meat is fully cooked.
There are many ways to make asparagus stuffed chicken. Here’s a few ideas that might want to try:
- Add slices of provolone cheese to the tops of each chicken breast before wrapping around the asparagus.
- Make a breading with seasoned almond flour and or crushed pork rinds. Dip each stuffed chicken into a bowl with beaten egg, then coat with the breading before baking.
- Wrap each piece in bacon for extra flavor and to seal in the juices for moist chicken.
- Use a low carb marinara sauce instead of the oil and vinegar blend. Top off each stuffed chicken with mozzarella cheese.
If you’ve tried other modifications, be sure to share them with us in the comments below the post.
Other Easy Low Carb Chicken Recipes
Need some other simple chicken dinner ideas? You’ll find some of my favorite recipes below:
- Filipino Chicken Adobo
- Keto Lemon Chicken
- Gluten-Free Shake and Bake Chicken
- Chicken and Vegetable Sheet Pan Dinner
- Bacon Ranch Cheddar Chicken
All of the recipes above use minimal ingredients and are prepared in only a few easy steps.
Keto Tools Used
The following kitchen tools were used to make the recipe:
★ Follow Me on FACEBOOK, PINTEREST and INSTAGRAM for more low carb recipe ideas.
★ Sign up for the Low Carb Yum NEWSLETTER for the latest updates and a FREE Meal Plan.
Asparagus Stuffed Chicken Breasts
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 2 pounds chicken breasts skinless and boneless (4 breasts)
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons vinegar balsamic or red wine
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 12 spears asparagus
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a small bowl, combine the olive oil, vinegar, garlic, and salt. Set aside.
- Pound each chicken breast with a mallet to about 1/4 inch thickness.
- Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place 3 asparagus spears in the middle of each flattened chicken breast. Wrap chicken meat around the asparagus and secure with toothpicks. Arrange stuffed chicken in a baking pan then olive oil mixture evenly over the stuffed chicken.
- Bake at 375°F for 25-30 minutes until chicken is fully cooked. Remove toothpicks prior to serving.
- Chicken can be topped with cream cheese or provolone cheese before wrapping around asparagus.
- A low carb “breading” made with seasoned almond flour or crushed pork rinds can be used to coat the chicken.
- Each piece can be wrapped in bacon slices.
- Marinara sauce can be used in place of the dressing and then topped with mozzarella cheese.
Join the Low Carb Yum Facebook Group for help with recipes and weight loss support!
Note on Nutritional Information
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs are not included in carb counts as it has been shown not to impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.
Unauthorized use of this material without written permission from Lisa MarcAurele is strictly prohibited unless for personal offline purposes.
Single photos may be used, provided that full credit is given to LowCarbYum.com along with a link back to the original content.