This simple recipe for keto marinara uses canned plum tomatoes. It's a good low carb marinara sauce to serve with cheesy keto breadsticks.
If you are looking for a good homemade sugar-free marinara sauce, you'll be surprised how easy it is to make your own. This recipe is adapted from one found on a can of tomatoes.
The primary change from the original recipe was to eliminate the sugar and use a low carb sweetener instead. But I also found it tastes better with some Italian seasonings sprinkled in too.
You can omit the sweetener if you'd like. I only used ⅛ teaspoon of Pyure All Purpose. The tomatoes already have natural sugar so it's really not needed anyway.
This really is the perfect keto marinara sauce! It goes well with Fathead breadsticks or as a topping for spiralized zucchini.
I'm already planning to use the sauce with some homemade meatballs in the Instant Pot too!
How to make keto marinara sauce
There's only a few simple steps needed to make your own low carb pasta sauce!
- Sauté a few cloves of garlic in olive oil until golden brown. Then stir in a little tomato paste, continuing to cook for another minute.
- Add in a can of peeled plum tomatoes. If the tomatoes aren't already seasoned, you'll want to add in some Italian seasonings along with salt and pepper.
- Add in some fresh basil leaves. Simmer the sauce over low heat, stirring occasionally. Adjust seasonings if needed. Remove the basil leaves and garlic closed then pureé if desired.
That's all there is to making your own red sauce!
What marinara sauce is keto friendly?
As long as the sauce doesn't add sugar, any commercial brand should be acceptable. However, some brands have less carbs than others.
My favorite store bought sauce is Rao's as the carbs tend to be lower than others.
Carbs per serving
For each half cup serving, the total carbs are 5 grams with 1 gram of fiber. That's just 4g net carbs each!
Because of the olive oil, there's also some healthy fat too. I calculate about 7 grams of fat for each serving.
More homemade sauces
Want to make more low carb sauces at home? Check out some of my other recipes:
- Keto Alfredo Sauce is a smooth and creamy white sauce made with parmesan cheese. It's another great low carb pasta sauce.
- Hollandaise Sauce is well known for making eggs Benedict, but it's a delicious topping for vegetables too.
- Low Carb Gravy can be made with egg yolks and gelatin as a thickener. This is great option if you don't care for other thickeners.
- Flourless Cheese Sauce can be served as a dip or used to top vegetables. It's a great way to get kids eating their veggies.
- Low Carb BBQ Sauce is a tasty dipping sauce for chicken nuggets but it's perfect for brushing on meat when grilling too.
Keto Marinara Sauce
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic peeled
- 1 tablespoon tomato Paste
- 35 ounces peeled plum Italian style tomatoes with basil canned
- ⅛ teaspoon Pyure All Purpose or ¼ teaspoon Swerve (optional)
- 5 leaves whole basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in skillet. Add garlic and cook over medium heat until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring for 1 minute
- Add the peeled plum tomatoes. Stir to combine and then add salt and black pepper and bring to a boil.
- Simmer sauce over low heat, stirring occasionally until thickened and reduced, about 30 minutes. Taste and season again with salt and black pepper if needed. Discard basil and garlic cloves. Puree if desired.
- Serve over spaghetti squash or cheese pasta. Top with fresh torn basil leaves and grated fresh Parmesan cheese. Also great to serve with low carb meatballs or cheese bread.
Array ( [calories] => 85 [carbohydrates] => 5 [protein] => 1 [fat] => 7 [saturated_fat] => 0 [cholesterol] => 0 [sodium] => 22 [potassium] => 318 [fiber] => 1 [sugar] => 3 [vitamin_a] => 1080 [vitamin_c] => 17.8 [calcium] => 14 [iron] => 0.4 [serving_unit] => cup [serving_size] => 0.5 )
Notes on Nutritional Information
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs are not included in carb counts as it has been shown not to impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.
© LowCarbYum.com - Unauthorized use of this material without written permission is strictly prohibited unless for personal offline purposes. Single photos may be used, provided that full credit is given to LowCarbYum.com along with a link back to the original content.
First Published: November 24, 2014... Last Updated: March 27, 2020