A mock low carb potato salad is perfect for all your summer picnics! This keto cauliflower salad has all the taste you love but with just 3 grams net carbs.
Are you looking for a tasty salad to take along to a summer potluck party? Why not make a mock potato salad out of fresh cauliflower.
Although it’s tough to disguise, the bland flavor of cauliflower makes it a great substitute for potato. So that’s what I use to make my low-carb potato salad.
You’ll need a whole large head of cauliflower for the salad. The vegetable is cooked and cut into bite sized pieces then mixed with egg, celery, and a mayonnaise based dressing.
Once you have all the ingredients prepared, the salad comes together quickly. You do need to steam the cauliflower and hard boil the eggs. But it doesn’t take much time do.
How to make low-carb potato salad
Just follow these simple steps
- Steam the cauliflower. I find that cooking it in the Instant Pot is the easiest. But if you don’t have one, boiling or steaming in a pot on the stove works too. Just steam for one minute then rinse with cold water to stop the cooking.
- Make the dressing. Whisk together one cup of mayonnaise with 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar in a medium mixing bowl.
- Prep the ingredients. Chop hard boiled eggs, celery, and the steamed cauliflower.
- Combine ingredients. Add the cauliflower, eggs, and celery to the dressing along with salt, pepper, and onion powder. Stir until well combined.
- Add celery seeds. Although the celery seeds are optional, they add flavor and a sprinkling of dark color to the salad. That’s why I always add them in!
That’s it! Once you taste this keto cauliflower salad, you’ll see why this low- carb vegetable is a popular way to replace potatoes.
I’ve always used hard boiled eggs in my potato salad recipe. I love the added flavor and protein.
If you don’t like eggs, you can leave them out of the salad. But the dressing will be thinner without eggs, so a thickener like xanthan gum may need to be added.
Other ingredients that go well in the salad are bacon, onion, and pickles. you can also sprinkle on some paprika onto the finished salad as a garnish
If bringing to a party, you may want to decorate the top of the mock potato salad with bacon bits and sliced eggs. They make a great presentation!
Carbs in keto cauliflower salad
A cup of regular potato salad has about 25 grams of net carbs. But this keto cauliflower salad has just 3 grams net!
Who needs potato salad when you can make this lower carb version instead? Once you’ve moved away from high starch foods, you’ll never miss them.
Other recipes to try
Want some more ideas for low carb salads to make over the summer? These are some of my family favorites:
- Keto Broccoli Salad blends in bacon and cheese for a taste that’s sure to please.
- Asian Zucchini Noodle Salad replaces ramen noodles with spiralized summer squash.
- Spinach Strawberry Salad blends red ripe strawberries into greens with a tangy vinaigrette dressing.
- Cucumber Tomato Salad combines two summer garden favorites in a simple mixture of vinegar and water.
- Cauliflower Tabbouleh is a low carb version of a popular Mediterranean dish.
Low Carb Potato Salad – Keto Cauliflower Salad
- 1 large head cauliflower cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- dash pepper
- 4 large eggs hard-boiled, diced
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 1 teaspoon celery seed optional but recommended
- Bring 2 cups water to boil in large saucepan. Add cut cauliflower, then sprinkle with salt. Cover and bring to full boil again. Boil 1 minute, drain in colander, then rinse in water until cool. Set aside. Alternatively, you can use an Instant Pot and steam the whole head of cauliflower for 1 minute, then rinse in cool water before cutting.
- Whisk mayonnaise and vinegar in large bowl until smooth. Mix in salt and onion powder.
- Add cauliflower, celery, and egg. Toss to evenly distribute dressing into cauliflower.
- Mix in celery seed, if using.
Array ( [calories] => 205 [carbohydrates] => 5 [protein] => 4 [fat] => 19 [saturated_fat] => 3 [cholesterol] => 84 [sodium] => 435 [potassium] => 304 [sugar] => 2 [vitamin_a] => 158 [vitamin_c] => 41 [calcium] => 38 [iron] => 1 [serving_unit] => cup [serving_size] => 1 [fiber] => 2 )
FREE EMAIL SERIES
My Top 5 Secrets to Master Keto!
Note on Nutritional Information
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs are not included in carb counts as it has been shown not to impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.
Unauthorized use of this material without written permission from Lisa MarcAurele is strictly prohibited unless for personal offline purposes.
Single photos may be used, provided that full credit is given to LowCarbYum.com along with a link back to the original content.
First Published: August 8, 2010… Last Updated: May 23, 2020