These cheesy garlic low carb breadsticks are a gluten free copycat of Little Caesars Crazy Bread. So good, you can serve them those not on a keto diet.
Get Recipes Delivered Weekly
Join the Low Carb Yum email list and you’ll receive a free meal plan with 20 keto recipes. Plus, you can opt-in for special offers only for subscribers!
You know a recipe is good when my non-low carbing husband and picky daughter eat them up without complaining. I was so impressed with the way the crust came out in my low carb pizza with Fat Head dough that I had to try using the crust dough in a copycat Little Caesars Crazy Bread recipe.
I really like using mozzarella cheese as a base for low carb breads like pizza dough, pie crust, and these low carb garlic bread sticks. There is real potential for using mozzarella to make up for the lack of gluten in these gluten free breads.
The whey protein in this recipe also gives a nice flour-like texture and taste to the bread. Not sure exactly what it is, but perhaps the whey protein allows more puff because these bread sticks are much lighter and fluffier inside than ones I made without whey protein.
These garlic low carb breadsticks are almost as easy as making the ones that come in a can. You simply melt the mozzarella cheese in the microwave for a couple minutes, then fold in the rest of the dough ingredients. The dough does seem to be a little sticky and hard to come together at first, but eventually you’ll get a ball that can be rolled out easily between parchment paper.
Once rolled into a flat circle about 1/4-inch thick, the dough is cut into bread stick pieces using a pizza cutter. At this point, you spread on the garlic cheese butter so it bakes onto the top of the bread.
It’s really simple to whip up this easy low carb gluten free bread appetizer. My kids can even make it themselves if they want a quick snack.
The hardest part to making these low carb breadsticks is probably rolling out the dough. I typically roll it out between two pieces of parchment paper.
And, it is a little tough to get everything evenly mixed into the melted mozzarella cheese. But, you don’t have to incorporate all the ingredients completely for this copycat Crazy Bread recipe.
After about 10-15 minutes of baking, the bread sticks are done. I put the dough on a regular cookie sheet pan, but next time, I may try putting the parchment paper right on a preheated pizza stonepizza stone.
I think the Fat Head dough comes out better when baked on a stone. It gives a nice crisp bottom so I may just ditch the parchment paper all together as my pizza stone is well seasoned.
Because my family loves them, this low carb breadsticks recipe is sure to become a regular at our house. And, it’s much better than the high carb original!
I tried to get a close-up of the inside so you could see how light and fluffy they were inside. I’m also thinking this dough recipe would make a great focaccia bread and possibly work as a flat bread for sandwiches.
I hope you enjoy these low carb garlic bread sticks as much as me and my family. It’s a new favorite of ours.
You can serve this low carb bread as an appetizer or snack. I’d also like to try it with a white pizza.
No matter how you serve these, they likely won’t last long. So you may want to make a double batch.
Cheesy Garlic Low Carb Breadsticks Recipe
Cheesy Low Carb Garlic Bread Sticks
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 1 cup almond flour plus extra for kneading dough
- 3 tablespoons unflavored whey protein powder or coconut flour
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum optional
- 1-1/2 cups mozzarella grated, I used 160 grams of Kraft 2%
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup butter melted
- 3 tablespoons butter softened
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese grated
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together almond flour, whey protein, coconut flour, baking powder, garlic powder, salt and xanthan gum.
- In large bowl, melt mozzarella cheese in microwave (for my 900 watt oven it took about 2 minutes at 40% power)
- Stir eggs, butter, and dry mix into mozzarella until dough forms. If cheese begins to harden, you may need to microwave dough ball 5-10 seconds at high to get all ingredients incorporated into dough. Add additional almond flour as needed if dough is too sticky.
- Place dough ball between two large sheets of parchment paper.
- Using rolling pin, roll dough out to a circle about 1/4 inch thick.
- Peel off top piece of parchment paper.
- Place dough (still on parchment paper) onto baking sheet
- Using a pizza cutter or knife, cut dough into stick size pieces.
- Mix all topping ingredients together and spread onto sliced dough.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until top begins to brown.
- Remove from oven. Serve warm.
Note on Nutritional Information
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs are not included in carb counts as it has been shown not to impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.
Unauthorized use of this material without written permission from Lisa MarcAurele is strictly prohibited unless for personal offline purposes.
Single photos may be used, provided that full credit is given to LowCarbYum.com along with a link back to the original content.