Eggs Benedict with Hollandaise Sauce is my all time favorite breakfast treat. The tradition recipe calls for a toasted English muffin on bottom. It’s easy to convert the recipe to low carb with a slice of toasted low carb bread on bottom or even a thick slice of tomato. I used a square of homemade low carb flax bread.
- 3 egg yolks
- 7 ounces butter
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- dash salt
- dash pepper
- dash cayenne
- 4 eggs, poached
- 4 slices Canadian bacon, cooked (or sliced ham)
- 4 slices low carb bread, toasted
- Place egg yolks in a blender or food processor.
- Melt the butter in the microwave until bubbling.
- With the blender or food processor running, gradually add the hot butter in a steady stream to the egg yolks until the sauce is thick and creamy. Add the lemon juice. If the sauce is too thick, add a little warm water. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and cayenne. Remove from blender or food processor and keep warm.
- Poach Eggs: Place 2-3 inches of water in a deep skillet or saucepan with a dash of salt. Bring water to a boil then reduce heat to just under boil. Carefully break eggs into hot water and cook until whites are firm. Remove with slotted spoon.
- Place slices of low carb toast (or tomato slices) on plates. Top each with a slice of Canadian bacon (or ham). Place poached eggs on top and pour Hollandaise sauce over eggs. Sprinkle with paprika if desired.
Carbs per serving: 5 g
Each sauce serving: 397.5 calories, 87.3g fat, 0.7g carb, 8.5g protein.