Make this chicken stuffed avocado when you want something that is creamy and filling. It’s an excellent source of healthy fats too!
Low Carb Chicken Stuffed Avocado
When you are on the keto diet, eating healthy fats is really important and avocado is one of the best sources of healthy fats. In fact, studies show that eating plenty of avocados can contribute to more weight loss.
That’s why I love this chicken stuffed avocado recipe so much!
Not only does this have the fats from the avocados, but it has cream cheese too. This is a really high-protein meal that will keep you feeling full until your next meal!
Ingredients For Stuffed Avocado
First, I want to share some information about the ingredients, including any substitutions you can make.
- The first thing you need are avocados. I use two ripe avocados for this recipe. They need to be ripe enough to easily scoop out the inside.
- Next, use shredded chicken breast. Chicken thighs don’t shred nearly as well as chicken breast does. If you are in a pinch and the only meat you have is pork tenderloin, that tastes amazing in it too!
- Make the stuffing. The stuffing also has cream cheese, green onions, chili powder, and cumin.
- Don’t forget the bacon! That’s pretty much the best part. You can use any kind of bacon you want, even turkey bacon.
- Finally, you’ll need some shredded cheese to put on top. The type of cheese isn’t as important. I used sharp cheddar, but you can use Colby jack or even shredded Monterey jack cheese.
Please note: Check out the recipe card at the bottom for a full list of ingredients used to make this low carb recipe.
Here’s a fantastic way to shorten the prep time.
- Buy a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store and shred the chicken breast from it. No cooking time needed!
- If your avocado isn’t ripe enough, you can speed up the process by putting it in a brown paper bag with a banana or apple.
- Leave the cream cheese out at room temperature for about 10-15 minutes before you make this recipe. If it is softer, it will be easier to mix.
How To Make Chicken Stuffed Avocados
These are so easy to make. That’s why I like making them for a super-easy lunch.
I have some photos showing you all the steps below. All of the ingredients and detailed steps are in the printable recipe card just a little further below.
Prepare The Avocados
The very first step is to cut the avocados in half lengthwise. Then, scoop out the pit and throw it away.
If the avocados aren’t easy to smash with a fork, you can puree it in a blender or food processor so it mixes better.
Make The Chicken Stuffing
Next, you are going to mix all of the filling ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
Then, fill up the empty avocado shells with the chicken mixture. The next step is to top with even more cheese (I used shredded cheddar) and then bake it.
You only need to bake it long enough for the cheese to melt and warm up the filling.
It’s so good!
What To Serve With Chicken Stuffed Avocados
This is such a filling meal that the best thing to eat with it is something like these low-carb tortilla chips. The crunch of the chips pairs really well and serves as a scoop for the chicken stuffing.
You can also serve this keto broccoli salad with bacon and cheese with it too! The bacon will taste perfect with this creamy avocado dish.
Honestly, you don’t really need a side-dish with it, but if you want one, you can certainly serve something simple like green beans almondine.
Frequently Asked Questions About Stuffed Avocados
Before we get to the recipe, here are some questions about baked avocados that people have had.
Is this the same thing as chicken salad stuffed avocado?
No, this is not the same thing. A chicken salad stuffed avocado is cold and chilled. This is a baked stuffed avocado with melted cheese on top.
How do you make it spicier?
This would taste amazing with some red pepper flakes and paprika to add some heat. You can also use a bit more chili powder if you want more spice.
How do you store the baked chicken stuffed avocados?
These avocados taste the best when they are fresh out of the oven. If you want to store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator, they will last about 2 days.
I don’t recommend trying to eat them past those dates because of the texture changes.
What other types of cheese can you use?
Shredded cheddar cheese is the easiest to find and melts really well but, you can also use any kind of shredded cheese that you want. This will taste delicious with some shredded Mexican cheese or Monterey Jack cheese.
I do not recommend parmesan – when it melts and bakes, it becomes crispy.
Are store-bought bacon bits keto-friendly?
No, the only kind of bacon that is keto-friendly is bacon made from real meat. The bacon bits that you’ll find in the grocery store shelf near the salad dressings is made from soy flour.
When you buy bacon bits, make sure you are buying real bacon. It’s just easier (and tastes so much better) if you fry up fresh bacon and chop it up to add the chicken avocados.
I love how the avocados create their own little bowls for the creamy chicken mixture. You are going to love this recipe so much, it will become a normal feature on your menu.
The best thing about it is that it only takes about 30 minutes to make!
Other Chicken Recipes To Try
If you enjoyed this easy stuffed avocado recipe, you will love these keto chicken recipes too. These are some of my go-to’s:
- Chicken Green Bean Stir Fry is a really simple meal you can make on the skillet – it even has a hint of sweetness.
- Keto Mexican Chicken Soup is a slow cooker meal that will feed your entire family.
- BBQ Pulled Chicken can be served in a low-carb lettuce wrap or as a BBQ salad.
- Asparagus Stuffed Chicken Breasts is a fun and creative way to enjoy this vegetable.
- Crispy Garlic Parmesan Chicken Wings is a great option for delicious party food or enjoy these crispy wings for lunch!
Chicken Stuffed Baked Avocado
Recipe Video (Click on Image to Play)
- 2 Large avocados
- 1 ¼ cups Shredded chicken more or less
- ⅓ cup Chopped green onions
- ¼ cup Bacon pieces
- 3 ounce Cream cheese
- ½ teaspoon Chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon Cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup Cheddar cheese shredded
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Slice the avocados in half lengthwise, remove the pits, and use a spoon to carefully scoop the flesh out. Mash the avocado with the back of a fork, or in a food processor, and place into a mixing bowl.
- Add the shredded chicken, green onions, bacon pieces, salt and pepper, cream cheese, chili powder and cumin to the bowl, and mix until well blended.
- Fill the empty avocado shells with the filling, and place into a well greased baking dish.
- Sprinkle with the shredded cheese and bake for 15-20 minutes.
Array ( [calories] => 393 [carbohydrates] => 10 [protein] => 21 [fat] => 31 [saturated_fat] => 11 [cholesterol] => 81 [sodium] => 413 [potassium] => 654 [fiber] => 7 [sugar] => 2 [vitamin_a] => 749 [vitamin_c] => 12 [calcium] => 146 [iron] => 1 )
FREE EMAIL SERIES
My Top 5 Secrets to Master Keto!
Note on Nutritional Information
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs are not included in carb counts as it has been shown not to impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.
Unauthorized use of this material without written permission from Lisa MarcAurele is strictly prohibited unless for personal offline purposes.
Single photos may be used, provided that full credit is given to LowCarbYum.com along with a link back to the original content.