This BBQ Pulled Chicken is super easy to make and includes my homemade low carb barbecue sauce. You’ll love having this recipe handy for busy weekdays!
Get Recipes Delivered Weekly
Join the Low Carb Yum email list and you’ll receive a free meal plan with 20 keto recipes. Plus, you can opt-in for special offers only for subscribers!
This meal is perfect for days when you have too many things to do but still want something healthy and delicious for dinner.
What is the best way to shred chicken for BBQ pulled chicken?
Once your barbecue chicken is cool enough to handle, it’s time to get shredding! Don’t let your chicken get too cold before you start – warm chicken is much easier to shred.
There are several different ways you can shred slow cooker BBQ chicken, including:
- Your bare hands – This is a little messy, but it’s the perfect way to get meat shredded exactly the way you want, especially if you want really small pieces of it.
- Two forks – Use two forks to pull the meat apart.
- A stand mixer – Place the cooked chicken into the bowl of your stand mixer. Using the paddle attachment, set the stand mixer to medium speed. Mix until the meat is well shredded
- A blender – Place the cooked chicken in your blender. Close the lid and pulse until the meat is well shredded.
- A hand mixer – Using your bare hands, first tear the cooked chicken apart a bit. This will make it easier for the beaters to get at the meat. Place the meat into a large mixing bowl and press the beaters into it. Using the hand mixer on low speed, shred until it is fully broken apart.
What side dishes go well with a Slow Cooker BBQ pulled chicken sandwich?
Almost any of your favorite low carb BBQ side dishes will go well with this BBQ pulled chicken slow cooker recipe. Here are some ideas to get you started, including some of my own recipes:
- Cauliflower rice
- Broccoli Salad
- Zucchini Drop Biscuits with Cheese – Gluten Free
- Crispy Oven Fried Green Beans – Gluten Free
- Coconut Flour Cornbread Recipe – Gluten Free
- Quick Low Carb Coleslaw Recipe
- Keto Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes with Spinach
- Gluten Free Green Bean Casserole
- Low Carb Baked Beans
Aside from a sandwich, what else can I use this easy pulled BBQ chicken for?
If you feel like trying something different, you can use the pulled meat in a variety of other ways.
These ideas are perfect if you have leftovers so that you can enjoy the BBQ pulled chicken prepared in a different way.
Or, you can make a double-batch of this slow cooker pulled BBQ chicken recipe, freeze it and have a quick meal-solution always ready and waiting!
- Make tacos. Enjoy a family taco night using the BBQ pulled chicken as your meat; just add your favorite taco toppings. You can make your tacos even healthier, serving them on Low Carb Tortillas (Almond Flour Keto Wraps).
- Add it to a salad. Leave the leftovers cold and use them to turn your favorite salad into a main course.
- Make quesadillas. Add the BBQ pulled chicken to my Yellow Squash Low Carb Quesadilla Appetizer or Snack recipe.
- Make lunch wraps. Save some of the chicken and use it in your lunch! Create a simple but tasty low carb wrap. Again, you can make your lunch even healthier by using my Low Carb Tortillas. Or, use cabbage or lettuce leaves to make it not only low carb, but also paleo friendly.
- Add it to Macaroni and Cheese. The kids (and adults!) in your family will love this upgrade to a classic comfort food recipe. Just mix the meat into a Macaroni and Cheese recipe, like my Low Carb Macaroni and Cheese Recipe.
Can I freeze Instant Pot pulled BBQ chicken?
Cooked BBQ pulled chicken can safely be left in the refrigerator is for 2-3 days. However, if you won’t be using it up in that time, then it’s best to freeze the leftovers for a future meal.
After the dish is cool, divide the leftovers into meal-sized portions and place them into airtight containers or heavy-duty freezer bags. If you are using freezer bags, make sure to flatten the bags so that they take up less space in the freezer.
If stored in an airtight container, the dish will keep well in the freezer for up to 5 months.
★ Follow Me on FACEBOOK, PINTEREST and INSTAGRAM for more low carb recipe ideas.
★ Sign up for the Low Carb Yum NEWSLETTER for the latest updates and a FREE Meal Plan.
BBQ Pulled Chicken (Slow Cooker or Instant Pot)
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 1 batch low carb BBQ sauce
- 2.5 pounds chicken thighs
- Combine ingredients for low carb BBQ sauce in slow cooker. Add chicken thighs. Cover and cook on high 3 to 4 hours or low 6 to 8 hours.
- Shred chicken with two forks or an electric mixer. Stir shredded chicken into barbecue sauce. Serve on keto hamburger rolls.
- Combine ingredients for low carb BBQ sauce in Instant Pot liner. Add chicken thighs and cover in the sauce.
- Lock on lid and close the pressure relief valve. Cook on high pressure for 5 minutes. When time is up, allow for a 5 minute pressure release before opening valve.
- Shred chicken using two forks or an electric mixer. Stir the pulled chicken into the BBQ sauce. Serve on keto hamburger rolls.
Join the Low Carb Yum Facebook Group for help with recipes and weight loss support!
Note on Nutritional Information
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs are not included in carb counts as it has been shown not to impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.
Unauthorized use of this material without written permission from Lisa MarcAurele is strictly prohibited unless for personal offline purposes.
Single photos may be used, provided that full credit is given to LowCarbYum.com along with a link back to the original content.