A simple keto hamburger cabbage casserole recipe with ground beef and a tomato sauce. It's great for preparing ahead and baking just before serving.
I'm a big fan of easy low-carb meat and vegetable recipes. They are my go-to dishes for quick weeknight meals.
Cabbage is a vegetable that I don't eat as often as cauliflower and broccoli. Although I really enjoy eating it in coleslaw, I rarely cook with it.
But I needed to use up some canned tomatoes so I came up with this ground beef keto cabbage casserole recipe. It's simple to prepare and makes a perfect easy keto dinner.
This easy weeknight meal has quickly become a family favorite because it's so delicious too.
How to Make a Keto Cabbage Casserole
The recipe is made with simple ingredients and can be broken down into three steps:
- Boil chopped green cabbage and brown ground beef in a large pan.
- Mix the tomato based sauce into the cooked meat.
- Layer the cabbage and meat mixture in a casserole pan and bake.
Slow Cooker Option
For those that like slow cooking, you can use a crock pot instead. Just layer the meaty tomato sauce and chopped fresh cabbage into the slow cooker. There's no need to cook the vegetable first!
The cabbage casserole will be ready to enjoy after 2-3 hours on high or 4-6 hours on low. You really just need to heat things up and soften the cabbage.
I love using the slow cooker so there's no need to babysit the oven. Plus, you can leave the house to run errands and have your keto meal cooking at home without worry.
Tomatoes do add some sugar to this hamburger cabbage casserole recipe. If you are on a really strict keto diet, you may want to reduce the amount or water it down.
However, most of the carbs in the recipe come from the cabbage. So you can use less of it and add more meat to make up the volume.
For added flavor, sprinkle in some Italian seasonings. You can even turn up the heat with a little red pepper flakes.
Storing Leftovers in the Refrigerator
Leftovers can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to a week. But it's best to consume them within 4 to 5 days. Freezing is recommended for longer storage.
Freezing Ground Beef and Cabbage Casserole
The dish can be frozen baked or unbaked for up to 3 months. So you can easily make it months ahead for an easy keto frozen meal.
I like to split the recipe into two 8x8-inch or 9x9-inch pans. That way, I can cook one right away and freezer the other one for later.
The frozen unbaked keto casserole can be baked right from the freezer. You'll just need to add 5 to 10 minutes to the baking time.
If you want to freeze the casserole after baking, allow it to cool first. Then divide it into freezer-safe containers in the desired portion sizes.
To reheat the frozen cabbage casserole portions, thaw them overnight in the refrigerator first. Then either microwave or reheat in a foil covered dish in a low temperature oven until heated throughout.
For another great dish to keep in your freezer, check out my cheeseburger casserole recipe.
More Easy Cabbage Meals
If you love this tasty vegetable, you'll want to include it regularly in your low-carb meal planning. Here's a list of some of my favorite keto dinner ideas featuring cabbage:
- Cabbage and Sausage is a classic dish that's so quick, easy, and delicious. It's sure to become a favorite family meal.
- Keto Cabbage Lasagna makes enough to feed a crowd but you can scale it down or freeze it in smaller baking dishes.
- Crack Slaw got it's name because it's such an addictive dish. You'll love how quick it is to prepare.
- Creamed Cabbage and Hamburger comes with a Cajun spiced cream sauce that makes the casserole taste incredible.
- Keto Egg Roll in a Bowl is a great way to enjoy the flavor of Chinese takeout without the carbs.
Hamburger Cabbage Casserole
- 1 head cabbage
- 1 pound ground beef
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 14.5 ounces diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon dry minced onions
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut cabbage into chunks; put in boiling water for 15 minutes. Remove from pot and cool.
- Cook ground beef until brown.
- In a bowl combine beef, tomato sauce, tomato paste, diced tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, minced onions and salt.
- Spread a thin layer of tomato mixture on the bottom of a 9x13-inch baking pan. Place half of the cabbage over tomato layer and top with half of tomato mixture. Repeat layers. Cover pan with aluminum foil. Bake at 350 degrees for 1- 1.5 hours.
Notes on Nutritional Information
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs are not included in carb counts as it has been shown not to impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.
© LowCarbYum.com - Unauthorized use of this material without written permission is strictly prohibited unless for personal offline purposes. Single photos may be used, provided that full credit is given to LowCarbYum.com along with a link back to the original content.
First Published: November 24, 2010... Last Updated: September 15, 2020 with new photos and additional recipe information