No wrappers needed for this keto friendly sausage egg roll in a bowl! It’s a recipe so tasty, you’d never miss the high carb wrap. Plus, this version is not only low carb, it’s gluten-free, Paleo, and Whole30 friendly too.
One of my favorite Filipino foods is lumpia, a spring roll that’s usually filled with meat.
However, the traditional preparation calls for a pastry wrapper. It’s often deep-fried as well. This would be difficult to convert to low carb.
But who really needs the wrapper anyway? Personally, I just want the filling! That’s what gave me the idea to make this low carb egg roll in a bowl recipe.
The concept of the keto egg roll in a bowl has become very popular recently. It’s so much quicker to make than individual rolls, plus it’s an easy way to reduce carbs.
I’ve seen a lot of recipes similar to an asian egg roll, but none inspired by Filipino lumpia! I knew these flavors would be an amazing new way to enjoy a popular low carb dish.
This sausage egg roll in a bowl is also gluten-free, packed with yummy flavor, and SO easy to make. Everything comes together in one skillet and only takes about 15 minutes!
Low carb lumpia recipe
Traditionally, lumpia is made with ground pork, cabbage, onion, and carrots.
I got the idea from one of my Filipino friends to take out the higher carb onions and carrots. To add back in some flavor, she uses sausage and chopped walnuts.
I wasn’t too sure about adding nuts to the egg roll in a bowl recipe at first. But after giving it a taste, I was sold!
By using onion powder and garlic powder, you also lower the carbs without losing out on flavor. You could use fresh onions and garlic if you prefer, but I think the dried spices work well in this recipe.
You also get a ton of flavor by using sausage instead of ground pork, which I find a bit bland. The sausage really takes the taste of this lumpia to a whole new level!
What to serve with sausage egg roll in a bowl
Lumpia is typically served as an appetizer or a snack. I think this low carb egg roll in a bowl version is pretty filling, but you could serve it as a side with another dish.
A great pairing for lumpia is pancit. This dish is made with rice or wheat noodles, but I now make pancit with spaghetti squash.
If you haven’t heard of pancit before, it’s like a Filipino lo mein. I recommend giving it a try!
Paleo and Whole 30 egg roll in a bowl
I love that this nutty dish is low carb, paleo friendly, and even Whole 30 approved.
However, beware that most soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce contain ingredients not allowed on a paleo diet.
Calories in sausage egg roll in a bowl
This recipe is for 6 servings of keto lumpia.
At that serving size, each serving will be about 200 calories total. There are also 8.8 grams of total carbs and 3.8 grams of fiber per serving. This leaves us with 5 net carbs per serving of sausage egg roll in a bowl.
Other low carb dinner recipes
Looking for a few more easy, delicious keto dinner ideas that you can whip up in no time? Check out a few of these favorites:
- Keto Eggplant Parmesan has all the flavor of the traditional comfort food without the carbs!
- Low Carb Goulash is a simple dish made with sausage and gluten-free noodles that can be made in about 30 minutes.
- Pork Bistek is a Filipino dish featuring a soy sauce and citrus marinated pork steak braised with onions. It’s perfect for a delicious low carb dinner!
- Shrimp Lettuce Wraps are served with a Cajun cream sauce for a great twist on keto shrimp tacos.
- My Pork Curry Slow Cooker slow cooker recipe is a flavorful, rich stew that makes a super easy keto meal!
Sausage Egg Roll in a Bowl (Keto)
- 1 pound ground sausage any style or other ground meat
- 14 ounce bag coleslaw mix see note
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste
- 3 tablespoons coconut aminos or tamari (adjust if needed)
- 1 tablespoon rice cooking wine
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce use homemade for paleo (see post for link)
- 1/4 cup walnuts chopped (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts or almond shavings (optional garnish)
- chopped green onions (optional garnish)
- Heat the olive oil in a large high sided skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the ground sausage to the skillet and cook until the meat is completely browned.
- Mix the minced garlic into the meat, and sauté for an additional 30 seconds.
- Pour the coleslaw mix into the skillet, and stir to combine well.
- Cook the mixture down over medium heat until the vegetables begin to soften to your liking.
- Mix in the soy sauce, ginger paste, rice cooking wine, Worcestershire sauce, and salt & pepper to taste. Cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and garnish with the nuts and chopped green onions if desired.
Get Recipes Delivered Weekly
Join my email list and you’ll receive a free meal plan with 20 keto recipes. Plus, you can opt-in for special offers only for subscribers!
Note on Nutritional Information
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs are not included in carb counts as it has been shown not to impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.
Unauthorized use of this material without written permission from Lisa MarcAurele is strictly prohibited unless for personal offline purposes.
Single photos may be used, provided that full credit is given to LowCarbYum.com along with a link back to the original content.
First Published: December 30, 2016… Last Updated: March 18, 2020