You’ll love this nutty egg roll in a bowl recipe that doesn’t require a wrapper. It’s low carb, gluten-free, paleo friendly and chock full of flavor!
One of my favorite Filipino foods is lumpia which is an egg roll that’s filled with mainly meat. However, the thin crispy wrapper would be difficult to make in a low carb version.
But, when it comes down to it, do you really need the outside wrapper? Personally, I just need a bowl for the filling.
The concept of an egg roll in a bowl has become very popular. And, it’s so much quicker to make the dish without having to make individual rolls.
Not to mention, there isn’t any frying needed to crisp up the wrapper. That makes this a super easy dish to throw together any time!
Traditionally, lumpia is made with ground pork, cabbage, onion, and carrots. This version comes from a Filipino friend who likes to use sausage and nuts without the carby onions and carrots.
I love that this nutty egg roll in a bowl in both low carb and paleo friendly. Beware, most soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce contain ingredients not allowed on a paleo diet.
Cabbage is one of the best low carb vegetables. And, a fresh head of cabbage lasts a long time in the refrigerator.
I wasn’t too sure about adding nuts to the egg roll in a bowl recipe. But, after giving it a taste, I was sold.
Rather than using fresh onions, a small bit of onion powder give flavor with less carbs. Same thing with the garlic powder.
You can always use fresh onions and garlic if you prefer. However, I think the dried spices work well in this recipe.
I think ground pork is rather bland. So, the use of sausage really ups the flavor in this lumpia filling.
I was looking for something a little different than the standard Filipino lumpia recipe. This tasty nutty egg roll in a bowl definitely fits the bill.
Lumpia is typically served on holidays and other special occasions. Another Filipino dish that’s often served is pancit which is made with rice or wheat noodles.
Rather than use high carb noodles, I now make pancit with spaghetti squash. If you haven’t had pancit before, you must give it a try!
Low Carb Nutty Egg Roll in a Bowl Recipe
Nutty Egg Roll in a Bowl
- 1 pound sausage finely chopped (Bockwurst, Hungarian, and Schublig were used))
- 1 large cabbage head shredded thinly
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup walnuts chopped
- 1 tablespoon almond shavings
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce use homemade for paleo (see post for link)
- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos or tamari (adjust if needed)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Brown sausages in a large skillet. Sprinkle half of onion powder and garlic powder.
- Add cabbage and combine well with sausages. Sprinkle remaining onion and garlic powder.
- Pour soy sauce and worcestershire sauce. Blend well in low heat for 2 to 3 minutes of until you get your desired tenderness for cabbage.
- Mix in walnuts and almonds before transferring to a bowl.
- Serve and enjoy.
Note on Nutritional Information
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs are not included in carb counts as it has been shown not to impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.