A spiced shrimp mix drizzled with a creamy Cajun sauce is wrapped up in fresh, crispy romaine for this recipe. These shrimp lettuce wraps are a great twist on keto shrimp tacos for a super delicious, easy low carb meal!
If you’ve been looking for a fresh dish with a kick of flavor, these keto friendly seafood wraps are just what you need!
Lettuce wraps are such a fun meal to add to your routine. They eliminate the need for a tortilla, since even the low-carb varieties still have a few carbs. But you still get the joy of eating something with your hands.
And when the weather starts heating up, a cool lettuce boat is so satisfying.
This shrimp lettuce wraps recipe was actually inspired by a local chinese restaurant. Whenever my family went, I would order the appetizer lettuce wraps as my meal. It came with a sweet sauce, which I didn’t use to minimize carbs and sugar.
But we all know that sauces bring so much flavor to a dish. This got me thinking about a version I could create.
Lettuce wraps are just a mix of meat and vegetables. They’re so simple and tasty, I figured I should do a similar recipe for the blog.
Adding a Southern twist
I didn’t want to just copy the Asian version. Instead, these shrimp wraps are served with a Cajun cream sauce to give them a Southern flare!
Many Cajun dishes use crawfish, but I had a hard time finding it at my local grocery store. So instead, I opted to use shrimp, which has a similar flavor and is more widely available.
I find that shrimp and Cajun spices go very well together. When you add them to a cool, crisp lettuce wraps, the result is simply delicious!
And like I said, you get all the fun of eating them with your hands. They’re like keto shrimp tacos but without the low carb tortillas!
Easy shrimp lettuce wraps
If you peek at the recipe card, it may look like there are a lot of ingredients and steps.
Don’t let the step-by-step fool you, these healthy shrimp lettuce wraps are very easy to make! You just mix up the seasoning blend, fry up the filling, fill the lettuce leaves, then drizzle on the sauce. So simple!
This recipe features a homemade Cajun seasoning blend. You could buy the Cajun seasoning, but I find that it’s just as easy to make your own with spices you likely already have.
This also allows you to control the spice level. I like to kick it up a notch by adding red pepper flakes, but you can leave that out if you’d like.
From start to finish, this shrimp lettuce wraps recipe takes about 30 minutes or less. For such a tasty and flavorful dish, you really can’t beat that!
Substituting vegetables in the recipe
I know that not everyone likes mushrooms and peppers. Personally, I love the flavor and texture they bring. But they are not required.
In fact, there are many vegetables that would be great in this recipe. If you don’t want to use the ones I’ve listed, feel free to substitute them!
I think summer squash would be delicious. I’ve also seen other shrimp lettuce wraps recipes that use zucchini. Both are great options.
The shrimp and the sauce are the stars of this dish. The vegetables you use will simply complement the main ingredients. So if you have vegetables that you want to use, give them a try!
Other low carb shrimp recipes
Looking for a few other seafood recipes that feature shrimp? Check out these other favorites:
- Shrimp Spaghetti Sauce Alfredo will satisfy all of your pasta cravings and even includes a healthy serving of broccoli!
- Chicken and Shrimp Stir Fry is tasty, easy to prepare, and AIP paleo, keto, and low carb friendly.
- Sheet Pan Pizza with Fish, Shrimp, and Scallops is a seafood lover’s delight on a cauliflower pizza crust.
- Crispy Low Carb Coconut Shrimp features a crunchy seasoned “breading” that is keto friendly, gluten free, and so tasty!
- Sheet Pan Low Carb Fajitas with Shrimp are cooked on one pan for a super easy, delicious fajita recipe.
- Low Carb Popcorn Shrimp comes with a seasoned coconut flour coating seasoned and fried crispy.
Follow us on FACEBOOK, PINTEREST, and INSTAGRAM for even more tasty keto-friendly recipes!
Shrimp Lettuce Wraps
- ½ pound fresh shrimp
- ½ pound White Button Mushrooms sliced (about 225 grams)
- ½ medium red onion
- 3 stalks celery finely chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper
- 1 small yellow bell pepper
- cherry tomatoes optional
- bunch romaine lettuce
- olive oil
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
CAJUN SEASONING :
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne powder
- ¼ teaspoon Spanish paprika
- ⅛ teaspoon red pepper flakes optional
CAJUN DRESSING :
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ¼ teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Wash shrimp with cold running water, remove shell and tail then devein. Wash lettuce with cold water, shake off excess water and set on towel to dry.
- Mix together Cajun seasoning - onion powder, garlic powder, dried thyme, ground oregano, dried basil, ground cumin, cayenne powder, spanish paprika and red pepper flakes (if using).
- Season shrimp and mushrooms with ¾ of the cajun mixture plus salt and black pepper. Let it sit for at least 15 minutes.
- Mix Cajun dressing. Combine mayonnaise, sour cream and cajun seasoning plus salt and black pepper. Set aside.
- In a greased skillet, sauté onions for one minute. Add shrimp and cook for one minute on one side at medium heat then flip on the other side and cook for 2 minutes at low heat. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- In the same skillet, brown mushrooms. Add celery and bell pepper. Sprinkle with remaining cajun seasoning and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Return shrimp on top and allow to heat up for 30 seconds without mixing.
- Arrange lettuce on a platter. Spoon mushroom mixture onto each lettuce and top with shrimp. Drizzle with cajun dressing. Add some cherry tomatoes to make this shrimp lettuce wrap even more colorful. Enjoy!
Low Carb Sweeteners | Keto Sweetener Conversion Chart
Array ( [serving_size] => 2 [calories] => 202 [carbohydrates] => 7 [protein] => 12 [fat] => 14 [saturated_fat] => 3 [cholesterol] => 127 [sodium] => 481 [potassium] => 355 [fiber] => 2 [sugar] => 3 [vitamin_a] => 452 [vitamin_c] => 51 [calcium] => 105 [iron] => 2 [serving_unit] => wraps )
Notes on Nutritional Information
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs are not included in carb counts as it has been shown not to impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.
© LowCarbYum.com - Unauthorized use of this material without written permission is strictly prohibited unless for personal offline purposes. Single photos may be used, provided that full credit is given to LowCarbYum.com along with a link back to the original content.
First Published: May 29, 2017... Last Updated: February 6, 2020.
I added cilantro and lime to the lettuce wrap. This meal was so so so good!!! Nom nom nom 🙂
Hi, try it today and it was so so good. The favor was on point and the sauce was ...oh great.
One o f my favor now.
For some reason I can never get your print button to work to print a recipe. I can't figure out why???? Has anyone else had this issue?
Let me mention this to my tech person. However, I have no issues. Are you by chance using the Microsoft Edge browser? It's been known to be buggy. I recommend using Google Chrome which you can download and install for free.
Recipe looks delicious and low carb. How many servings? Is the net carb listed for one portion or the entire recipe?
You should get 10-12 wraps. The data is for one wrap.
How can the the cholesterol content for one wrap be so low (3mg)? How many shrimp are you putting into each wrap? They look so delicious but, I am on a cholesterol medication.
You have nothing to worry about in regards to eating shrimp and cholesterol. It's been proven that eating foods high in cholesterol does not raise the bad cholesterol levels in food. http://www.livestrong.com/article/495447-how-bad-is-the-cholesterol-in-shrimp/
I never thougt my kids would lettuce someday. But with this "wraps" they finally did! Thanks so much! 🙂
You're welcome! Glad the kids liked them.