Enjoy this delicious Cajun cream sauce over shrimp lettuce wraps for a tasty low carb meal. It’s a simple dish that’s perfect for warmer weather.
We’ve been eating at a new Chinese restaurant and I’ve been ordering the lettuce wrap appetizer for my meal. It comes with a sweet sauce that I don’t use to keep carbs to a minimum.
The wraps are just a mix of meat and vegetables and I really love them. It’s so simple that I figured I should do a similar recipe for the blog.
Rather than copy the Asian version, these shrimp lettuce wraps with Cajun cream sauce have a Southern flare. I’ve never been down to Louisiana to experience the food locally, but we have a friend who comes from the area.
Crawfish is typically used in Cajun dishes, but it’s not easy to find in my regular grocery store so I used shrimp. You get a similar flavor with shrimp which is more widely available.
Although you can buy a Cajun seasoning blend, it’s just as easy to make your own with with spices you likely already have. I like to kick it up a notch by adding red pepper flakes, but you can leave that out if you’d like.
The lettuce wraps I get in the Chinese restaurant are made with iceberg. However, I find it too flimsy for wraps. That’s why these shrimp lettuce wraps use romaine.
Rather than eat the wraps as is, I prefer a little dressing. The Cajun cream sauce is a perfect way to to them off with more yummy flavor.
You can change up the vegetables used. Some may not like mushrooms or want to use tomatoes. Zucchini or summer squash are great alternatives.
If you look at the ingredients listed, the recipe seems complicated. But, it’s really simple to make. You just mix up the seasoning blend, fry up the filling, fill the lettuce leaves, then drizzle on the sauce.
Making the sauce is even easier. You simply blend all the ingredients together. I use avocado oil mayonnaise because I prefer it over ones made with seed oil.
The recipe makes about 10-12 shrimp lettuce wraps. You can certainly leave the Cajun cream sauce out, but I like the flavor it adds.
If you love shrimp and Cajun spices, you definitely want to give this recipe a try. It’s the perfect dish to serve on a lazy summer afternoon.
Cajun Cream Sauce over Shrimp Lettuce Wraps Recipe
Cajun Cream Sauce over Shrimp Lettuce Wraps
- 0.4 pound fresh shrimp about 200 grams
- 1/2 pound White Button Mushrooms sliced (about 225 grams)
- 1 small red onion
- 1 medium green bell pepper
- 1 small yellow bell pepper
- 3 stalks celery finely chopped
- cherry tomatoes optional
- bunch romaine lettuce
- olive oil
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
CAJUN SEASONING :
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Spanish paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes optional
CAJUN DRESSING :
- Wash shrimp with cold running water, remove shell and tail then devein.
- Wash lettuce with cold water, shake off excess water and wrap in foil. Place in refrigerator to keep it crisp and fresh.
- Mix together Cajun seasoning - onion powder, garlic powder, dried thyme, ground oregano, dried basil, ground cumin, cayenne powder, spanish paprika and red pepper flakes (if using).
- Season shrimp and mushrooms with cajun mixture plus salt and black pepper. Let it sit for at least 15 minutes.
- Mix Cajun dressing. Combine mayonnaise, sour cream and cajun seasoning plus salt and black pepper. Set aside.
- In a greased skillet, sauté onions for one minute. Add shrimp and cook for one minute on one side at medium heat then flip on the other side and cook for 2 minutes at low heat. Set aside.
- In the same skillet, brown mushrooms. Add celery and bell pepper. Sprinkle with remaining cajun seasoning and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Return shrimp on top and allow to heat up for 30 seconds without mixing.
- Arrange lettuce on a platter. Spoon mushroom mixture onto each lettuce and top with shrimp. Drizzle with cajun dressing. Add some cherry tomatoes to make this shrimp lettuce wrap even more colorful. Enjoy!
Join the Low Carb Yum Facebook Group for help with recipes and weight loss support!
You can also sign up for our FREE weekly newsletter by entering your information in the form below. The free subscription gives you access to the Low Carb Tips and Tricks eBook which includes 20 easy recipes. Plus, you'll get notified of new recipes along with access to special deals only offered to subscribers!
NOTE: Be sure to 'add' Low Carb Yum (lowcarbyum @ lowcarbyum.com) to your contacts so the emails don't end up in your spam box. If you are using Gmail, the newsletter email may end up in your "Promotional" tab. Just click on "Not Promotions" so you won't miss out.
Note on Nutritional Information
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs are not included in carb counts as it has been shown not to impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.