This easy keto lasagna without noodles has all the flavor and none of the carbs. At just 2 grams net carbohydrates a slice, it’s a low-carb spinach lasagna recipe perfect for any ketogenic diet meal plan!
Most people assume that lasagna is off-limits on a keto diet because it’s made with layers of pasta noodles. But when you think about it, the rest of the ingredients are pretty low in carbohydrates.
I love taking classic comfort foods and making them keto friendly. The best part is they turn out just as flavorful as the traditional version, if not more so!
This low-carb recipe is a perfect example of this. With layers of melty cheese, marinara, just the right amount of fresh spinach, and the perfect blend of spices, what’s not to love?
Once you add in the seasoned layers of meat, it takes this dish to a whole new level of delicious!
At first glance, the ingredient list for this keto lasagna recipe may look overwhelming. But it's primarily Italian seasonings which you likely have in your pantry.
If you've never heard of meatza, it's a thin meatloaf that's often used as a pizza crust. But in this recipe, it's used for the pasta layer.
Make sure you use a low-carb marinara sauce without any sugar added.
This recipe uses a blend of parmesan, ricotta, and mozzarella cheese. If you don't like ricotta, cottage cheese is a good alternative.
It's always a good idea to add in some leafy greens. But you can leave out the spinach if you prefer.
The yolks are used as a binder for the meatza and the cheese filling.
Adding in an Italian seasoning blend really ups the flavor in the keto lasagna bake.
Please note: Check out the recipe card at the bottom for a full list of ingredients.
You can prepare the recipe in only a few simple steps. Here's a quick overview with step-by-step photos.
Combine the ground meat with spices, parmesan cheese, and egg yolk. Spread into lined baking sheet and bake until browned. Drain any grease off and cut to fit your lasagna pan.
Prepare remaining ingredients
Combine the marinara pasta sauce, parmesan, and remaining seasonings. In another bowl, beat the egg and then fold in the ricotta cheese.
In a hot oiled skillet, cook spinach until wilted. Then season with onion powder, garlic powder, and black pepper.
Spread two to three tablespoons of marinara sauce on the bottom of the pan. Top with the meat noodle slices, then spread more marinara sauce on top.
Add all of the sautéed spinach as your next layer. Then spread the ricotta mixture on top of the spinach. Cover with half of the mozzarella cheese. Keep layering with remaining meat noodles and marinara.
Cover the top layer with the remaining mozzarella cheese. Bake at 400°F for 15 minutes or until cheese is melted and slightly golden.
Why you'll love it
This low carb recipe for keto lasagna is a big crowd-pleaser. It’s super satisfying, and it’s very simple to make. Prepare the flat meatloaf, layer the ingredients, and bake in the oven. That’s it!
It also freezes well if you like to meal prep or simply want to have a quick casserole ready to go when you need it.
It's one of those perfect dishes that’s easy to make and will be devoured by the whole family.
Before we get to the printable recipe card, here are some questions people often ask about making keto lasagna.
Traditional lasagna can have about 30 grams of carbs or more. When I make this keto-friendly version with meat noodles, each square comes out to just 2 grams net carbs.
Many recipes use zucchini noodles, spaghetti squash, cabbage, or eggplant in place of regular lasagna noodles. Meat is better because it has a less carbs and doesn't have too much water which results in a watery lasagna. You can even use deli meat for an easy skillet lasagna!
You can freeze the casserole before or after baking, although I prefer to freeze it before baking. Once I’m ready to make my noodle free lasagna, I take it out a few hours early to thaw, then throw it in the oven. If you have a casserole dish that can safely go from freezer to oven, you don’t even need to let it thaw. Just be sure to adjust the baking time.
Looking for other easy casseroles to feed the family or a bigger group? Check out a few of these favorites:
- Keto Chicken Broccoli Casserole is a quick and easy recipe made from scratch that’s absolutely delicious.
- Easy Mexican Chicken Lasagna includes plenty of cheese and is flavored with southwestern spices for a fun twist on this classic dish.
- Keto Eggplant Parmesan Casserole with a gluten-free breading is a delicious, cozy dish that’s loaded with cheese and authentic Italian flavor!
- Stuffed Pepper Casserole has all the flavorful ingredients of this classic comfort food combined in a baking dish for a super easy dinner.
- Pumpkin Lasagna also uses meat noodles to replace the pasta layer for a delicious twist on traditional lasagna.
I also love the flavors in the spinach artichoke chicken casserole by my friend Julianne over at Keto Cooking Christian.
Keto Lasagna with Spinach
MEATZA INGREDIENTS :
- 2 Pounds Ground Lean Beef
- 1 Egg yolk beaten
- ½ Cup Parmesan
- 1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Onion Powder
- 2 Teaspoon Ground Sage
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Oregano
- 1 Teaspoon Dried Thyme
- ½ - 1 Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper Powder can be omitted if desired
- Salt and Ground Black Pepper to taste
LASAGNA INGREDIENTS :
- 2 to 2 ½ Cups Marinara Sauce
- 10 Ounces Spinach
- 2 Egg yolks beaten
- 1 Cup Ricotta
- 2 Cups Freshly Grated Mozzarella Cheese
- ½ Cup Parmesan
- ¼ Teaspoon Onion Powder
- ¼ Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ⅛ Teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- Fresh Parsley for garnishing
Making the meat slices
- In a small container, mix onion powder, garlic powder, sage, oregano, thyme and cayenne powder (if using). Reserve ½ teaspoon for marinara sauce.
- Place ground beef in a large platter or large bowl and mix in seasoning. Sprinkle parmesan and beaten egg yolk. Mix well.
- Line two 9x13 baking pans with parchment paper. Transfer seasoned ground beef and flatten with a spatula or back of a spoon.
- In a preheated oven of 450°F, bake ground beef for 7 to 12 minutes or just until browned. Drain oil and slice to fit lasagna container.
Preparing the lasagna
- In a bowl with marinara sauce, add parmesan, reserved mixed seasoning (from meatza ingredients) and mix well. Set aside.
- In another bowl with beaten egg, fold in ricotta. Set aside.
- In a skillet, heat olive oil and spinach until wilted. Season spinach with onion powder, garlic powder and black pepper.
- Assemble lasagna. Pour 2 to 3 tablespoon marinara sauce to an 8x8 baking pan. Top with meatza slices, spread more marinara sauce. Add all sautéed spinach and spread ricotta mixture on top. Cover with half of mozzarella cheese. Repeat with remaining ingredients, with mozzarella at the top most part.
- In a preheated oven of 400°F, bake for 15 minutes or until cheese is melted and slightly golden.
Array ( [serving_size] => 1 [calories] => 301 [carbohydrates] => 3 [protein] => 33 [fat] => 16 [saturated_fat] => 8 [cholesterol] => 154 [sodium] => 434 [potassium] => 576 [fiber] => 1 [vitamin_a] => 3535 [vitamin_c] => 9.4 [calcium] => 313 [iron] => 3.9 [serving_unit] => square )
Notes on Nutritional Information
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs are not included in carb counts as it has been shown not to impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.
© LowCarbYum.com - Unauthorized use of this material without written permission is strictly prohibited unless for personal offline purposes. Single photos may be used, provided that full credit is given to LowCarbYum.com along with a link back to the original content.
First Published: January 5, 2018... Last Updated: January 2, 2020