Preorder my 5-Ingredient Keto Cookbook featuring over 120 simple recipes and get over 45 bonus recipes to use NOW!
A paleo Korean ground beef that cooks inexpensive meat with sweet and spicy seasonings. It’s a dish that can be cooked and served within 15 minutes.
With the long, cold New England winter finally coming to an end, I don’t want to be spending a lot of time in the kitchen making dinner when I get home from work. I’d rather be outside getting some fresh air after being inside an office all day.
In my search for quick and easy dinners, I found a Korean beef recipe at the blog Lizzy Writes that can get you out of the house fast. It’s made with lean ground beef which is one of the fastest meats to cook.
After browning the meat, it’s simmered in a sweet and spicy seasoning mix to absorb the flavor. The sweetener and crushed peppers can be adjusted as desired to make it sweeter or spicier to suit your taste. I personally like it like on the sweet and heavier on the spice.
If you like the sweet and spicy taste of General Tso Chicken, this Korean ground beef recipe has a similar flavor that you will likely enjoy. For the sweetness, I used a liquid stevia that adds no carbs or calories. Usually, brown sugar is mixed into the soy sauce seasoning.
Ingredients to make Korean beef from ground meat
The original recipe called for brown sugar so I added just a touch of blackstrap molasses which is the concentrated byproduct of making sugar crystals. Some may argue that blackstrap molasses is a sugar and not low carb, but I use it in moderation and never had a problem. It can be omitted, though, if you are strict keto or paleo.
However, blackstrap molasses is full of minerals like manganese, copper, iron, calcium, and potassium which most people are lacking. Therefore, blackstrap molasses is where all the healthy parts of sugar cane go in the sugar refining process. A golden low carb sweetener could be used instead or a small amount of fiber sweetener.
Crushed red peppers provides the spice in this dish. There’s also a hint of ginger and soy sauce along with garlic.
If you are gluten free and or paleo, coconut aminos seasoning sauce is a great replacement for soy sauce. Not all soy sauce contains gluten, but personally, I’ve been trying to get away from soy so I’ve switched to coconut aminos.
I used a whole bundle of green onions to top off the dish. I just chopped these up quickly while the meat was browning. Once the meat was brown, I added the seasonings. I used a heaping teaspoon of crushed red peppers since I wanted it to be on the spicier side.
How to prepare Korean ground beef
This is one of the easiest skillet recipes ever! You simply brown the ground beef in a large skillet with garlic in hot oil. Then drain off the fat if desired.
The seasonings are then added which are stevia, molasses (if using), soy sauce, ginger, and red pepper. Next the mixture is simmered for a few minutes to blend in the seasonings.
Although you can eat this dish plain, it’s traditionally served over rice. And since we want to keep things low carb, just whip up a quick batch of cauliflower rice in the microwave to serve it with.
This delicious Korean beef dish is paleo friendly and easily made within 15 minutes. Therefore, you’ll have an amazing gourmet quality keto meal at home in no time. Why not serve it for dinner tonight or for an easy weeknight meal next week? It’s sure to become a family favorite!
Other paleo ground beef recipes
If you’re looking for more paleo friendly recipes with ground beef, the list below are just a few of my favorites:
- AIP Paleo Hamburger Stew – Unlike other beef stew recipes, this one using a pumpkin base instead of tomato.
- Low Carb Crack Slaw – A quick and easy skillet dish that combines shredded cabbage and ground beef.
- Unstuffed Cabbage Soup – Get all the flavor of stuffed cabbage without the work in this simple soup recipe.
- Mexican Zucchini and Beef – Another simple skillet dish that’s quick and easy to prepare in less than 30 minutes.
- Filipino Eggplant Burgers – Eggplant is mixed with ground beef to make burger patties with some hidden veggie.
- Hamburger Beef Stroganoff – Serve fresh zucchini noodles with this creamy beef and mushroom topping.
Do you have a favorite paleo ground beef recipe? I’d love to hear about it in the comments.
Paleo Korean Ground Beef Recipe
Enjoy this quick and easy skillet dish that’s perfect for a simple weeknight dinner. And if you do give it a try, let us know what you think in the comments below.
Paleo Korean Ground Beef
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil or olive oil
- 1 1/4 pound lean ground beef
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon SweetLeaf stevia drops
- 1/2 teaspoon blackstrap molasses can be left out or replaced with a low carb sweetener
- 1/4 cup soy sauce or coconut aminos for paleo
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ginger minced or a couple dashes ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper I like it spicy, use less if desired
- 1 bunch green onions sliced
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and brown ground beef with garlic in the oil. Drain off fat.
- Add stevia, molasses, soy sauce, ginger, and red pepper.
- Simmer and stir for a few minutes to blend seasonings.
- Serve over cauliflower rice and top with sliced green onions.
Get Recipes Delivered Weekly
Join my email list and you’ll receive a free meal plan with 20 keto recipes. Plus, you can opt-in for special offers only for subscribers!
Note on Nutritional Information
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs are not included in carb counts as it has been shown not to impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.
Unauthorized use of this material without written permission from Lisa MarcAurele is strictly prohibited unless for personal offline purposes.
Single photos may be used, provided that full credit is given to LowCarbYum.com along with a link back to the original content.