Who doesn't love a big bowl of soup on cold winter day? This keto-friendly recipe is made with bone broth, veggies, and zucchini noodles. It's the perfect dish to warm you up during these next few months! Spiralized zucchini replaces the usual pasta in this delicious low-carb chicken soup! It's an AIP paleo recipe that's pure comfort in a bowl.
Inspired by my reading, I made some Instant Pot bone broth and I knew that some soup was in order! I'm still following an AIP diet to help calm my high immune activity, so I needed something to fit that plan.
This gluten-free low-carb chicken noodle soup was inspired by a recipe in the Autoimmune Solution book. The information provided in the book is what convinced me to follow a 30 day AIP diet plan.
As I discussed in my profile, I moved to a low-carb diet after having my thyroid ablated (destroyed by Iodine-131 radiation) due to Graves' Disease. After most of my thyroid died off, I developed hypothyroid and gained weight quickly.
If I had known what I know now, I could have saved my thyroid!
But, now that the damage is done, I at least need to address the root cause. And, eating the wrong foods seems to have played a major role in my thyroid disease.
That's why I'm following the strict AIP diet right now. Thankfully, I can still make delicious meals made from whole foods that don't contain any inflammatory ingredients.
Just take a look at this yummy low-carb chicken noodle soup!
Ingredients Needed For Keto Chicken Soup
The spices and fresh aromatic garlic and onion really elevate the flavor of this comforting soup. Here's a bit more information about what I used.
The combination of white onion, fresh garlic cloves, and ground turmeric is amazing! Definitely use fresh basil and parsley if you can. Dried spices work too, but the fresh herbs have a bolder taste.
The bay leaves are optional, but they really add a smoky undertone to the entire dish.
Use enough sea salt to enhance the rest of the soup.
Use your favorite low-carb vegetables in this soup. I used turnips and celery. The turnips really mimic potatoes well.
Chicken bone broth has the most vivid briny flavor. You could also use chicken stock or vegetable broth.
Use shredded chicken breast for the soup. Sometimes, I like to save time by using a rotisserie chicken.
Because there was a lot of food cutting involved, I picked up a pound of zucchini that was already spiralized. Usually, I'll just whiz it through my spiralizer, but I wanted to save a few steps with this recipe.
Please note: Check out the recipe card at the bottom for a full list of ingredients used to make this low-carb recipe.
- Sauté the garlic and onions in coconut oil. If you don't have coconut oil, you can use either ghee or butter.
- Store this low-carb chicken soup in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Do not overcook the soup after you add the zucchini noodles. You want the zucchini noodles to retain a little bit of crunch.
How To Make Low Carb Chicken Soup
All the exact steps are in the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post. First, here are some more tips that will help you make the tastiest soup you have ever tried.
Saute The Garlic, Onion, And Turmeric
The first step for this low-carb chicken soup is the one that smells the best! Saute the chopped onion, minced garlic, and ground turmeric. Keep doing this until the onion is transparent.
Next, add the vegetables to the sauteed aromatics. Keep stirring. Add more coconut oil if you need more.
Add Broth, Spices, And Chicken
Now you are ready to add the broth and chicken. Keep cooking it for about 10 minutes. Wait until last to add the spices and the zucchini noodles.
Serve this low-carb chicken soup hot for the best taste.
What To Serve With Low Carb Chicken "Noodle" Soup
This chicken zoodle soup honestly could be an entire meal by itself. If you want to serve something with it, I suggest making a roll or type of bread. These buttery keto croissants melt in your mouth and are so much fun to dip into the soup.
Frequently Asked Questions About Keto Chicken Soup
Before we get to the printable recipe card, here are some questions people often ask about paleo and keto chicken soup.
Can I buy keto-friendly chicken broth?
Yes! One of my favorite brands is Kettle and Fire. They have multiple types of keto soups and broths and I like to use them in multiple recipes.
What other veggies can I add to this keto chicken soup?
Besides zucchini, you can also add in some:
- Bell peppers
Can I use actual keto noodles in this recipe?
Yes! Sometimes, I'll make these keto noodles made out of eggs in place of the zucchini noodles. You can also sub in some shirataki noodles.
The fall season is when most people break out their low-carb soup recipes. However, I like to enjoy these heartwarming recipes all year long.
More Keto Soup Recipes
Enjoy this easy heartwarming low-carb chicken soup! And, be sure to try some of these other low-carb soups as well. They are some of my favorites!
- Indian Spinach Soup has bold curry flavors that will wake up your taste buds.
- Romaine Lettuce Soup is a surprisingly delicious soup with a ridiculously low amount of carbs.
- Paleo Salmon Chowder is a thick and creamy soup made with fresh seafood.
- Keto Crockpot Cheeseburger Soup is a family-friendly recipe that takes almost no effort to do.
- Low-Carb Vegetable Soup can be made on the stove, in a slow cooker, or in the Instant Pot.
Low Carb Chicken Noodle Soup - AIP Paleo
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 small onion chopped
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 medium turnip cubed
- 8 stalks celery chopped
- 4 cups chicken pre-cooked, chopped
- 5 cups chicken bone broth
- 4 teaspoons fresh basil chopped
- 4 teaspoons fresh parsley chopped
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 pound zucchini spiralized
- Heat 1 tablespoon coconut oil over medium heat. Add garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Add onions and turmeric. Cook until onion is translucent.
- Add turnip and celery with remaining 2 tablespoons of coconut oil. Sauté for about 10 minutes.
- Add broth, chicken, basil, parsley, salt, and bay leaves. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer.
- Cover, then simmer for about 40 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Remove bay leaves. Stir in the spiralized zucchini and cover the pot. Allow to sit for about 10 minutes to soften the zucchini noodles.
Array ( [serving_size] => 1 [calories] => 201 [carbohydrates] => 4 [protein] => 27 [fat] => 10 [saturated_fat] => 5 [polyunsaturated_fat] => 1 [monounsaturated_fat] => 2 [cholesterol] => 60 [sodium] => 246 [potassium] => 419 [fiber] => 1 [sugar] => 2 [vitamin_a] => 150 [vitamin_c] => 9.1 [calcium] => 30 [iron] => 1.3 [serving_unit] => cup )
Notes on Nutritional Information
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs are not included in carb counts as it has been shown not to impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.
© LowCarbYum.com - Unauthorized use of this material without written permission is strictly prohibited unless for personal offline purposes. Single photos may be used, provided that full credit is given to LowCarbYum.com along with a link back to the original content.
First published on October 16, 2017. Updated on September 28, 2021, with new images and additional recipe information.