A delicious no noodle spinach and meat lasagna to make for a simple dinner. Eggplant is used instead of the noodles and healthy spinach is added.
Get Recipes Delivered Weekly
Join the Low Carb Yum email list and you’ll receive a free meal plan with 20 keto recipes. Plus, you can opt-in for special offers only for subscribers!
Last week, I was looking to make a low carb casserole that would provide a weeks worth of lunch and possibly a few dinners. I also wanted to use up a few late season eggplants from the garden and some ricotta cheese I picked up at the grocery store that week.
It has been a while since I made a lasagna without noodles and I knew that it would make enough to feed me for a while. Since I’ve been working extended hours at work, I haven’t had a lot of time for cooking.
This spinach and meat lasagna was a perfect dish to keep me full during those long days. All I had to do was reheat in a single serving for a yummy quick and easy meal.
I based this recipe on one from a Better Homes and Gardens cookbook that I’ve been making for years. The main changes I made was replacing the noodles with eggplant and adding in spinach.
How to make spinach lasagna with meat
The no pasta lasagna can be made with or without eggplant. However, using the vegetable slices in place of regular noodles helps hold the casserole together.
If you don’t like eggplant, zucchini is a great substitute to use. In either case, I find it best to salt the thin vegetable slices to help release water before cooking.
The vegetable slices are then roasted in the oven, or fried until soft and golden. If baking, it takes about 25 minutes, turning each slice halfway through. To fry, just cook each side until browned.
Next, the ground meat is cooked in a skillet with garlic and the excess liquid is drained (photo 1). Then canned tomatoes, tomato sauce, and tomato paste are added (photos 2 & 3).
While the meat is cooking, the cheese layer can be prepared by mixing eggs, spices, ricotta cheese, and parmesan cheese together (photos 4-6).
Assembling and baking the spinach and meat lasagna
The first layer is a little bit of sauce placed at the bottom of a 9×13-inch casserole pan. Then, the vegetable slice layer is added (photo 7) if using which is then topped with half the ricotta cheese, half the spinach, and half the meat sauce (photo 8). The layers are then repeated.
It takes about 30 minutes to bake the lasagna in a 400°F until browned. The pan is then removed from the oven and cooled slightly before slicing (photo 9).
Veggie lasagna with no noodles
I like the addition of more vegetables in this spinach and meat lasagna without noodles. It’s a yummy way to make get your daily intake of veggies in.
And, I’m always looking for ways to get everything in with one dish. It’s much easier than making a main dish and side. You can even leave out the meat layer if you want a meatless dinner.
Any cheese lover will appreciate this cheesy casserole dish. I’m a fan of ricotta cheese, but for those who prefer cottage cheese in lasagna, feel free to change it up.
Other low carb lasagna options
There’s even a crock pot lasagna recipe I found here. Do you have a favorite low carb lasagna recipe?
I hope you enjoy this low carb lasagna recipe as much as I did. It’s plenty to feed a large family.
If you aren’t feeding a large number of people, you can always half the recipe. Another option is to eat half and freeze the other half for later.
Spinach and Meat Lasagna without Noodles Recipe
★ Follow Me on FACEBOOK, PINTEREST and INSTAGRAM for more low carb recipe ideas.
★ Sign up for the Low Carb Yum NEWSLETTER for the latest updates and a FREE Meal Plan.
Spinach and Meat Lasagna without Noodles
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 2 medium eggplants cooked (optional)
- 1 1/2 pounds ground sausage or ground beef
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 14.5 oz canned tomatoes cut up
- 8 oz canned tomato sauce
- 6 oz canned tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 20 oz frozen chopped spinach cooked and drained
- 2 large eggs
- 2 1/2 cups ricotta
- 2 cups mozzarella grated
- 3/4 cup Parmesan grated
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- If using the optional eggplant layer, they need to be roasted first in a 400 degree oven.
- Slice eggplants lengthwise about 3/4 inch thick.
- Brush both sides of slices with oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Roast until soft and golden, about 25 minutes, turning each slice halfway through cooking time.
- Cook sausage or beef in skillet with garlic until browned then drain off any grease.
- Add canned tomatoes, sauce, tomato paste and sauce.
- Mix until meat and sauce are well combined. In medium bowl, beat eggs then stir in ricotta and parmesan cheese.
- Grease a rectangular 9×13 baking dish with the olive oil, add a large dollop of meat sauce and spread it around on the bottom of the pan.
- Put a layer of eggplant (if using) in the pan; top with a layer of half the meat sauce, half the spinach, and half of the ricotta mix , sprinkle on half the mozzarella.
- Repeat the layers.
- Bake in preheated 400 degree oven until the lasagna is bubbling and the cheese is melted and lightly browned on top, about 30 minutes.
Join the Low Carb Yum Facebook Group for help with recipes and weight loss support!
Note on Nutritional Information
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs are not included in carb counts as it has been shown not to impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.
Unauthorized use of this material without written permission from Lisa MarcAurele is strictly prohibited unless for personal offline purposes.
Single photos may be used, provided that full credit is given to LowCarbYum.com along with a link back to the original content.