A gluten free and low carb yellow snack cake. For the cake, a buttery single cake layer is topped with a rich sugar free chocolate icing.
Get Recipes Delivered Weekly
Join the Low Carb Yum email list and you’ll receive a free meal plan with 20 keto recipes. Plus, you can opt-in for special offers only for subscribers!
Cupcakes are a great snack cake, but making them takes more time than just baking a simple layer cake. I find it cumbersome as well as a bit messy to split the batter between the cupcake liners.
It’s a lot easier to just dump the whole bowl of cake batter into one pan and spread it out. Frosting a single cake layer also takes less time than putting the icing on each individual cupcake.
I guess there is a trade-off as serving cupcakes doesn’t require cutting the cake into slices or serving on plates. For this low carb yellow snack cake, I chose the faster preparation of baking a single layer cake instead of cupcakes.
It’s been some time since I’ve baked a low carb cake, likely well over two years. I have a very active toddler at home and it was difficult for me to cook, let alone bake with her.
My daughter has required all of my attention as I was afraid she would get severely injured if I took my eye off her for a second. Now that she is nearing her second birthday, she had gotten better at staying in one place without fussing and keeping out of trouble.
I wanted to come up with a simple low carb yellow cake with a reasonable portion size. I also did not want a lot of frosting.
Using a chocolate ganache that would run down the sides was my original thought, but I decided on a thicker fudgy chocolate icing that coats the top instead. This turned out to be a nice moist cake and the chocolate frosting was perfect. It was a great snack cake to satisfy my hunger between meals.
The cake can be cut into 12-16 slices. I opted for the larger size slice and the nutritional values are provided for 12 servings versus 16.
Simple Yellow Snack Cake – Low Carb and Gluten Free
- 1 oz unsweetened chocolate
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup Swerve Confectioners Powdered Sweetener add more if needed
- 2-3 tablespoons almond milk
- Preheat oven to 350 °F
- Cut parchment paper to fit bottom of a greased 9-inch round cake pan or use a silicone non-stick pan.
- In large mixing bowl, combine the almond flour, coconut flour, sweetener, baking powder, xanthan gum and salt.
- Add the almond milk, coconut oil, butter, and vanilla to the dry mix and beat with an electric mixer on medium-high speed for about 2 minutes, scraping bowl as needed.
- Add the eggs and continue to beat an additional 2 minutes.
- Spread batter into prepared cake pan.
- Bake in 350 °F oven for about 25-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean and cake springs back when lightly touched.
- Cool cake for 10 minute then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
- For frosting: Microwave chocolate and butter in microwaveable bowl on HIGH for 1 minute or until butter is melted. Stir until chocolate is completely melted and incorporated into butter. Add sugar and enough almond milk to reach desired consistency.
- Spread frosting evenly over the top of the cake.
Note on Nutritional Information
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs are not included in carb counts as it has been shown not to impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.
Unauthorized use of this material without written permission from Lisa MarcAurele is strictly prohibited unless for personal offline purposes.
Single photos may be used, provided that full credit is given to LowCarbYum.com along with a link back to the original content.