In my last post, I described how my 13 year old daughter refuses to eat vegetables of any kind. It should come as no surprise that pizza is one of her favorite foods.
I discovered a low carb pizza crust recipe made from cauliflower that is the best I’ve ever had. The original recipe is posted here.
This amazing low carb and gluten free pizza crust is a mixture of cooked cauliflower rice and shredded mozzarella. There is also egg added to hold it together as well as your choice of spices to add flavor. It’s has to be good if my daughter can stomach it without fussing.
It’s has to be good if my daughter can stomach it without fussing. I’ve tried other low carb pizza crust recipes before, but they had a funny taste that I just couldn’t get past.
LOW CARB TIPS and TRICKS
Subscribe now to receive your free copy of Low Carb Tips and Tricks which includes 20 easy to prepare recipes. Plus, get access to the weekly newsletter and special offers only for subscribers!
I like my crust thin so when making this recipe I pressed the mixture down well. The original recipe post did not appear as thin as mine.
In fact, the original recipe states that the crust can be cut and served as bread sticks. I may try that next time.
I should also mention that this pizza crust can be made ahead and put in the freezer for later. I ended up making two smaller crusts to freeze and one double recipe large crust to eat immediately.
The small crusts fit nicely in an 11″ wide vacuum seal bag. The pizza toppings could be added before freezing to make homemade frozen pizzas.
To reheat the pizza crust, I added toppings and then baked at 425 for 10 minutes. I then finished the baking under the broiler to crisp it up. The frozen pizza crusts were just as good as the fresh one.
- 1 cup cooked, riced cauliflower
- 1 egg
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- spices, optional
- Preheat oven to 450 F. Spray a cookie sheet or pizza pan with non-stick spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine cauliflower, egg and mozzarella. Press evenly on the pan. Sprinkle spices such as fennel, oregano, parsley, and/or garlic powder on top.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 12-15 minutes (15-20 minutes if you double the recipe). Remove the pan from the oven.
- To the crust, add sauce, then toppings and cheese. Place under a broiler at high heat just until cheese is melted.
- Pizza crusts can be frozen after the initial baking and used later. Can be doubled for a larger pizza.
Carbs per serving: about 2 g