A tasty low carb bacon cheddar quiche that doesn’t use any special flour for the crust. Instead, it uses a gluten free cauliflower crust!
Get Recipes Delivered Weekly
Join my email list and you’ll receive a free meal plan with 20 keto recipes. Plus, you can opt-in for special offers only for subscribers!
I’ve been using a lot of almond and coconut flour for baking. This past weekend, I was looking for a change when making the crust for a quiche.
Although I sometimes bake a crustless quiche, this time I decided to try a cauliflower crust. It’s really the same basic idea as a pizza crust. And, using a vegetable is a nice way to sneak in the veggies.
To ensure the crust wasn’t mushy, I squeezed out most of the water from the cauliflower after it was cooked. To do this, I used a cheese cloth. It’s impossible to remove all the water, but I did end up getting a lot of it out.
Egg and cheese are what hold the crust together. There’s one large egg added and about a half cup of cheese. Similar to the pizza crust, I used a mix of mozzarella and parmesan.
For the filling, I made it a basic bacon and cheese. You can bet this will be what I’ll be eating for breakfast most of the week. It’s going to be perfect to take along to work.
Since I was using cheese, I decided to go full dairy on this one. So instead of using an alternative milk, I used diluted heavy cream for the egg mixture.
After the bacon cheddar quiche was done, I realized I should have baked the crust longer. Next time, I will bake it until it’s golden all over and not just on the edges.
The crust should be a bit crisper. So, you’ll want to make sure you keep it in the oven until the top has browned completely. I took mine out too early.
I’ve also been buying the lower sodium bacon. I found a brand sold in our local Walmart that is low sodium and has no sugar added. Low lower sodium bacon is what I prefer because it doesn’t leave me thirsty all day.
For a low carb keto diet, eggs really are one of the best foods you can eat. We go through a ton of eggs each week. Thankfully, my husband and younger daughter love eating them too.
Speaking of eggs, I’ve been considering doing another egg fast. I don’t necessarily need to lose weight, but I’d like to cut back on eating. I seem to eat a lot less when I eat mainly eggs for a week.
You can certainly leave the cauliflower crust off and make a crustless bacon and cheddar quiche. That’s probably the best way to go if you are in a low carb induction phase.
For those of you who prefer a more traditional style crust, I’d use a savory pie crust similar to the one I used in this key lime pie. You’d just need to omit the sweetener in the crust.
Bacon Cheddar Quiche with Cauliflower Crust Recipe
What’s your favorite low carb ingredients to add to a quiche? Do prefer it with or without a crust?
★ Follow Me on FACEBOOK, PINTEREST and INSTAGRAM for more keto friendly recipe ideas.
★ Sign up for my NEWSLETTER to get the latest updates and a FREE Meal Plan.
Bacon Cheddar Quiche with Cauliflower Crust
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 1 head cauliflower about 3 1/2 or 21 ounces riced
- 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese shredded (about 29 grams)
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese shredded (about 25 grams)
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt more or less to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 8 slices no sugar bacon cooked crisp and finely chopped (about 16 ounces)
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese freshly grated
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese grated (about 21 grams)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup water
- 6 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Grate or pulse cauliflower in food processor to rice. Place in covered microwaveable dish and microwave for 5 minutes. Allow to cool uncovered for at least 10 minutes.
- Place cooked cauliflower rice into a cheesecloth and squeeze out as much water as possible.
- In medium bowl, combine dried cauliflower, mozzarella cheese, parmesan cheese, egg, salt, and garlic powder.
- Press crust mixture evenly into tart or pie plate. Bake at 425°F until golden (about 15-18 minutes). Remove and set on wire rack.
- Sprinkle bacon, cheddar cheese, and parmesan cheese into crust.
- In medium bowl whisk together cream, water, eggs, and salt.
- Bake at 350°F about 40-45 minutes or until filling is set. Remove and allow to cool slightly before serving.
Join my Facebook Group for help with recipes and weight loss support!
Note on Nutritional Information
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs are not included in carb counts as it has been shown not to impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.
Unauthorized use of this material without written permission from Lisa MarcAurele is strictly prohibited unless for personal offline purposes.
Single photos may be used, provided that full credit is given to LowCarbYum.com along with a link back to the original content.