You’ve never tasted broccoli cauliflower cheese soup quite like this! The addition of sausage and bacon means this comforting dish is packed with flavor, yet so simple to make… just chop, simmer, and serve!
My family loves soups all year round, but there’s something about soup and cold weather that go so well together. So if you’re like me and have been looking for a new dish to add to your collection of delicious soup recipes, this one is sure to satisfy.
Why I love this soup
This broccoli cauliflower cheese soup is perfect when you’re in the mood for a creamy, hearty, low-carb soup the whole family will love. And unlike other broccoli cheese soup recipes I’ve seen, this one won’t take you forever to prep. It’s rich, cheesy, and comes together in one pot!
No matter how big of a batch I make, it never seems to last very long in our house.
When soups are too thin and don’t have a lot of ingredients to break them up, they feel more like a side to me. What I love about this broccoli and cauliflower soup is that the big chunks of veggies, sausage, and bacon really make it feel like a meal and not just a first course.
As the temperature outside drops, this comforting low carb soup recipe is just the thing you need to warm you up.
What kind of sausage do you use in the soup
I like how the different sausages really up the flavor of this soup. I use a mix of Bockwurst, Schublig, and Hungarian sausage for this recipe.
However, it’s okay to stick with just one kind of sausage, or create your own blend of your favorites from whatever you have on hand.
How to make broccoli and cauliflower soup
One of the great parts about this broccoli and cauliflower soup is how easy it is to prep. You’ll simmer the chopped broccoli and cauliflower right in the broth for 4 to 5 minutes, then set aside.
Meanwhile, brown the sausages in a large skillet with olive oil, then set the sausages aside. In the same pan over low heat, add the cream, water, and butter, then stir until the butter is melted. Add the cheese and stir slowly until fully melted.
Add the cooked sausages back in, then pour in the broccoli, cauliflower, and broth. Season, cover, and simmer for 5 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Top with bacon and serve!
How many carbs in the soup
Nutrition will always vary based on the exact ingredients you use. For me, I split this recipe into ten servings, with each serving coming out to 6 total carbs and 1 gram of fiber, or 5 net carbs.
Most of the carbs in this cauliflower broccoli soup recipe come from the vegetables. I keep the serving to a cup size to keep the number of carbs manageable.
Because this soup is packed with so many hearty ingredients, the 1 cup serving size is usually plenty!
What are good spices for the soup
When I prepare this recipe, I like to mix together onion powder, garlic powder, mustard seed, marjoram, and thyme.
If you haven’t heard of marjoram, this spice is a cousin of the oregano family. In Germany, it’s popular to use along with thyme in sausage recipes. Since this soup features sausage as a prominent ingredient, marjoram is a great fit with these flavors.
If you don’t have marjoram, you can substitute sage, thyme, summer savory, or basil.
Another spice not everyone has on hand is mustard seed. Mustard is made by mixing ground mustard seed with water and vinegar, so if necessary, you can sub regular mustard in this recipe.
Can you freeze broccoli cauliflower soup?
All of the ingredients in this soup recipe are safe to freeze. If you choose to freeze the soup, it should last for several months.
Just be aware that the veggies may get a little mushy during the freezing and thawing process. As long as that doesn’t bother you, then you can certainly store this soup for longer periods of time.
Let me just say though that I rarely have leftovers when I make this soup. Between my family, it always goes very quickly!
Other low carb soup recipes
Looking for more low carb soups perfect to warm you up on a chilly day? Check out these favorites:
- Keto Hamburger Soup Recipe uses a secret ingredient to bring together this low carb twist on a flavorful classic.
- Unstuffed Cabbage Soup Recipe is the perfect recipe for anyone that loves stuffed cabbage but hates all the prep work that goes into it.
- Keto Clam Chowder replaces potatoes for a creamy New England style chowder sure to satisfy any seafood lover.
- Keto Mexican Chicken Soup is delicious, hearty, and only requires four ingredients to make. Bonus: it cooks in the crock pot!
- Keto Cream Of Chicken Soup With Bacon will take the chill right out of your bones and filling enough to make for a great meal.
And if you’re taking soup along to work, I highly recommend using a lunch crock the heat it up in the morning before lunch.
Broccoli Cauliflower Cheese Soup with Sausage
Recipe Video (Click on Image to Play)
- 1 1/2 pounds sausage sliced & quartered
- 1/2 pound broccoli cut in florets
- 1 1/2 pounds cauliflower cut in florets
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup chicken bone broth
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese grated
- 5 slices no sugar bacon cooked to crisp and chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard seed
- 1/4 teaspoon marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- salt & ground black pepper to taste
- olive oil
- In a small container, mix onion powder, garlic powder, mustard seed, marjoram, thyme.
- In a saucepan, pour chicken broth then cover and bring to a boil. Add cauliflower and broccoli. Season with a dash of salt and ground black pepper. Simmer for 4 to 5 minutes. Set aside.
- In a large skillet with olive oil, brown sausages. Set aside.
- In the same saucepan with low heat, pour cream and water. Add butter and stir until butter is melted. Add cheese and stir slowly until melted.
- Add cooked sausages and season with half of mixed spices and herbs.
- Toss in cooked broccoli, cauliflower, and broth. Add the remaining mixed spices and herbs. Season with salt and ground black pepper to taste. Combine well. Cover and simmer for 5 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Transfer in a serving bowl and top with bacon.
- Serve and enjoy immediately.
Get Recipes Delivered Weekly
Join my email list and you’ll receive a free meal plan with 20 keto recipes. Plus, you can opt-in for special offers only for subscribers!
Note on Nutritional Information
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs are not included in carb counts as it has been shown not to impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.
Unauthorized use of this material without written permission from Lisa MarcAurele is strictly prohibited unless for personal offline purposes.
Single photos may be used, provided that full credit is given to LowCarbYum.com along with a link back to the original content.