A low carb coconut key lime pie from scratch with a flaky gluten free coconut flour pie crust. This is a great sugar free pie that isn’t overly sweet. Perfect for the holidays.
This Easter, I made a low carb pie to share at the family gathering. There are a couple diabetics in my immediate family, but neither of them follow a low carb lifestyle.
Although I’ve always had a sweet tooth, I’ve avoided becoming diabetic like my mother and grandmother. I believe that the low carb way of life is one way to treat and prevent the disease.
For most of my life, I got by eating a very high carbohydrate diet. It’s only been the last ten years that I’ve gone to a higher fat low carb diet.
My mother and grandmother both became diabetic in middle age and I am hoping that by eating lower carb foods, I can avoid that happening to me.
However, my brother is a type 1 diabetic who was only twenty something when he got diagnosed.
This low carb coconut key lime pie from scratch is not comparable to a regular one made with condensed sweetened milk. But, it is a pretty good substitution for those who are staying away from sugar and white flour.
The pie crust is another adaptation of Bruce Fife’s recipes. I added some sweetener to Bruce’s basic recipe since I was using it in a sweet pie and not a savory one like quiche. The result is a fantastic coconut flour pie crust.
The filling is not overly sweet. I used xanthan and guar gum to firm up the custard. Additional egg yolks might work as well.
The easiest way to combine filling ingredients for this low carb key lime pie is to process them together in a food processor. I suppose a blender or electric mixer would work just as well.
I used liquid Splenda since that adds no calories or carbs, but a stevia/erythritol blend could be substituted if you prefer using natural sweeteners. You can also use stevia or monk fruit drops as well.
Overall, this recipe for key lime pie from scratch was pretty tasty. However, I might try adding a meringue topping next time.
I thought the filling was very similar to what you’d get in a lemon meringue pie. So, a fluffy egg white topping may be in order.
Low Carb Coconut Key Lime Pie from Scratch Recipe
Low Carb Coconut Key Lime Pie from Scratch
- Melt butter in a medium microwavable bowl.
- Add almond flour, eggs, Swerve and salt. Mix well. Stir in sifted coconut flour.
- Knead dough with hands for about one minute, then shape dough into a ball.
- Roll out between wax paper to about 1/8 inch think and turn dough into 9 inch pie pan.
- Prick bottom and sides of crust with fork.
- Bake crust at 400 degrees F for 10 minutes. Set aside.
- Combine coconut milk, heavy cream, xanthan gum, guar gum and Swerve in a food processor.
- Add egg yolks and lime juice. Process all ingredients until well blended. Stir in dried coconut if using.
- Spread filling into pie crust.
- Bake at 350°F for 10 minutes.
- Allow to stand for 10 minutes before refrigerating. Just before serving, top with whipped cream.
- Net Carbs 2g
- % Carbs: 4.5%
- % Protein: 18%
- % Fat: 77.5%
Note on Nutritional Information
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs are not included in carb counts as it has been shown not to impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.