For an easy and delicious seafood bake, try this baked crabmeat casserole recipe. It’s similar to a crustless quiche and can be made with either fresh, canned, or frozen meat. Even shredded imitation crab meat can be used.
Over the last few weeks, my son has spent several evenings crabbing with his friends. Last week, they brought home a large cooler full of live blue crabs.
After steaming and shelling out the crabmeat, I needed an easy dish to make. I did made a quick crab dip but had lots of meat leftover.
Although I thought of making a big batch of my keto crab cakes, I didn’t have a lot of time for that. So, I decided to bake an easy crab meat casserole recipe.
Because I had a lot of eggs and fresh vegetables from the garden to use up, those are the main ingredients used. Then I added in some almond milk and cheese.
You can find the full ingredient list with amounts in the recipe card at the end of this post.
How to Make Crabmeat Casserole
This dish is made like a crustless quiche so it comes together quickly.
- Salt the eggplant and let sit for 30 minutes to an hour in a colander. This will release moisture so the dish doesn’t come out runny.
- Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl. To reduce cleanup. You can mix everything right in the casserole dish.
- Spread the mixture into a baking dish and bake until eggs are fully set.
That’s it! Just 3 simple steps. Of course, it will take a little time to prep the vegetables.
Notes on the Recipe
I ‘d say this baked crabmeat casserole is more like a really big omelette that you bake in the oven. In fact, we’ve been eating if for breakfast most of this week.
If you don’t live by the shore and can’t easily get fresh crabs, you can use fresh or frozen meat. Canned crab meat would also work in this recipe.
Using Imitation Crab Meat
If you aren’t on a low-carb eating plan, imitation crab meat is fine to use in the baked casserole. But I recommend shredding it up first so it looks like the real thing.
Imitation crab meat is made with fish and added starches. A half cup serving has about 17 grams of carbs with no fiber so it’s not keto-friendly.
Other Recipes To Try
If you want an even easier recipe to make with crab meat, try a simple crab meat salad. It makes the perfect lunch on a hot summer day!
Here’s a few more keto seafood recipes you may want to check out too:
- Baked Sea Scallops make a tasty low-carb appetizer for special occasions but they can be a main dish too.
- Keto Tuna Casserole is a cheesy baked dish with spinach that can be made in about 30 minutes.
- White Clam Sauce is a creamy and delicious topping for keto friendly noodles like spiralized zucchini and spaghetti squash.
- Keto Coconut Shrimp is great for sharing with friends and family at parties and celebrations.
- Tuna Pie is a warm and cozy dish made with tuna, cheese, green beans, and low carb flour.
Baked Vegetable and Crabmeat Casserole
- 8 large eggs beaten
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 green pepper chopped
- 1 red pepper
- 1 small eggplant chopped in cubes (I used a white one)
- 1 pound crab meat chopped
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 4 ounces swiss cheese chopped
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Salt eggplant if desired (see note). In medium bowl, combine all ingredients.
- Pour into a greased 13 x 9 inch baking dish.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Let stand 10-15 minutes before cutting.
Array ( [serving_size] => 147 [calories] => 206 [carbohydrates] => 5 [protein] => 20 [fat] => 11 [saturated_fat] => 6 [cholesterol] => 190 [sodium] => 562 [potassium] => 318 [fiber] => 2 [sugar] => 3 [vitamin_a] => 867 [vitamin_c] => 29 [calcium] => 252 [iron] => 1 )
Note on Nutritional Information
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs are not included in carb counts as it has been shown not to impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.
Unauthorized use of this material without written permission from Lisa MarcAurele is strictly prohibited unless for personal offline purposes.
Single photos may be used, provided that full credit is given to LowCarbYum.com along with a link back to the original content.
Originally Published: August 20, 2011… Last Updated: October 13, 2020, with new photos and additional recipe information.