A cheesy chicken vegetable casserole loaded with healthy vegetables. This easy low carb chicken casserole is sure to become a family favorite.
Casseroles are the ultimate comfort food. That’s why I have so many low carb casserole recipes on the site. Not only do I love them, but they are dishes that even my picky eaters love to eat.
And when I load the dish up with cheese, I can sneak in some vegetables without anyone complaining. It’s one of the easiest ways to get kids to eat their veggies.
My husband is also a picky eater, but he loved this healthy chicken casserole with vegetables. And he didn’t even notice that I used radishes as mock potatoes. That’s how I knew this chicken vegetable casserole was a winner!
Are you looking for a simple keto low carb dish to please the whole family? If so, be sure to give this chicken cheese vegetable casserole a try. It’s a low carb recipe that’s full of flavor and very satisfying.
How to make a chicken vegetable casserole the whole family will love
Having trouble getting the family to eat vegetables? I’ve found that smothering them in a creamy cheese sauce usually does the trick. That way they don’t look or taste like veggies.
For this low carb chicken vegetable casserole, I start out by seasoning the vegetables. I use a blend of onion powder, garlic powder, oregano, and sage. To add even more flavor, I drizzle on olive oil or bacon drippings first.
Next, I brown some chicken pieces in melted butter. I suppose shredded chicken could also be used if you have some leftovers.
Once the chicken is browned, the seasoned vegetables are added and sauteed for a few minutes. Then heavy cream, cream cheese, ground mustard seed, and Parmesan cheese are added. Once the cream cheese melts, salt and pepper are blended in to taste.
The mixture is transferred to a 9x13-inch casserole pan. Then, it’s topped with a blend of mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
After baking at 450°F for 10 to 15 minutes, the casserole is finished off with a sprinkling of chopped bacon and Parmesan cheese. The pan is returned to the oven to brown up the cheese with takes about five minutes.
Serving the Cheesy Chicken and Vegetable Casserole
The casserole can be served alone for easy low carb meals. But I like to add in a tossed salad with fresh greens like my baby kale avocado salad. I also like to add in some low carb bread sticks for a complete dinner.
The chicken casserole is also perfect for sharing at potluck or family gatherings. When taking on the road, I like to bake it in my casserole crock pot. That way, I can plug it in when I get to my destination so it stays warm.
Other Low Carb Chicken Casserole Recipes
If you love this recipe, you’ll love some of my other easy low carb chicken casserole recipes. Here’s a few of my favorites to get you started:
- Paleo Buffalo Chicken Casserole
- Low Carb Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- Spaghetti Squash Chicken Tetrazzini Casserole
- Easy Chicken Florentine Casserole
- Chicken and Zucchini Casserole
My friend Sarah over at My Montana Kitchen also has a lovely taco chicken casserole.
Kitchen Tools Used
You’ll need the following items to make this cheesy chicken and vegetable casserole:
Follow us on FACEBOOK, PINTEREST, and INSTAGRAM for even more tasty keto-friendly recipes!
Low Carb Chicken Vegetable Casserole
- 5 Pieces Baked Bacon chopped, divided
- ½ pound Chicken Breast
- 2 tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 7 ounces Green Beans bite sized
- 2.5 ounces Red Radishes chopped
- 1 small Zucchini small, sliced then cut in half
- 8 ounces Cream Cheese cut in chunks
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 1 cup Mozzarella freshly grated
- 1 cup Parmesan Cheese divided into 3
- ⅓ cup Carrots small, chopped
- ⅓ teaspoon Mustard Seed
- ¼ teaspoon Onion Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Ground Oregano
- ¼ teaspoon Ground Sage
- Pink Himalayan Salt and Ground Black Pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon Olive Oil or Bacon drippings for drizzling on vegetables
- Bake Bacon, reserve drippings.
- In a plate on small bowl, mix Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Ground Oregano and Ground Sage.
- Drizzle vegetables with olive oil or bacon drippings. Season vegetables. Set aside.
- In a skillet, melt butter and brown chicken. Add seasoned vegetables and sauté for 3 to 5 minutes. Pour heavy cream, chunks of cream cheese, ground mustard seed and a part of Parmesan cheese. Stir until cream cheese has melted. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Transfer to a baking dish. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese. Add a part Parmesan cheese. Bake in a 450°F preheated oven for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove casserole and top with chopped bacon then finish off with the last part of Parmesan cheese. Continue baking for 5 minutes or until cheese is slightly golden.
Low Carb Sweeteners | Keto Sweetener Conversion Chart
Array ( [calories] => 550 [carbohydrates] => 7 [protein] => 25 [fat] => 46 [saturated_fat] => 24 [cholesterol] => 160 [sodium] => 702 [potassium] => 441 [fiber] => 1 [sugar] => 3 [vitamin_a] => 2795 [vitamin_c] => 8.3 [calcium] => 374 [iron] => 1 )
Notes on Nutritional Information
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs are not included in carb counts as it has been shown not to impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.
© LowCarbYum.com - Unauthorized use of this material without written permission is strictly prohibited unless for personal offline purposes. Single photos may be used, provided that full credit is given to LowCarbYum.com along with a link back to the original content.
Only 1/2# chicken breast for 6 people? Is this correct?
It's more of a vegetable casserole with added leftover chicken. But you can certainly up the chicken.
This has become a bi weekly meal at my house. It is exploding with flavor! Definitely a favorite
This was absolutely delicious! Even my picky 10YO went back for seconds. The herbs really cut the heaviness of the cheese and make it seem much lighter.
I love how customizable it is, too, to whatever you have on hand. We didn't have bacon (sadly), but it was still incredible and we'll definitely have it in there next time.
Can you use frozen veggies for this?
Yes. Frozen vegetables are a convenient option to fresh.
Made this for dinner - so yum!
Can it be frozen?
I don't see why it couldn't be frozen.
Will give it a go. Thank you.
Thanks for another great recipe, Lisa. You're awesome! 🙂
You're very welcome Dan!
Thanks! We made this for dinner last night and it was lovely!
I really don't want to have to do research before making a recipe? Couldn't you put grams/cups etc?
How do you convert grams into cups/tablespoons/American measurements.
Fixed. The metric amounts are now linked.
Sounds great. But what are the grams in US measurements? Thank you.