A dense keto chocolate zucchini bread that's low-carb and gluten free. It makes a perfect sweet snack or dessert any time you are craving something chocolatey.
CLICK HERE to save the recipe to Pinterest!
There's nothing novel about zucchini bread. But when you add chocolate to the equation, what you end up with is a delicious and decadent treat.
So how do you make an occasional indulgence such as this one much more healthy? You need a few key baking ingredients that will taste great without spiking your blood sugar.
If you do a lot of low-carb baking, you probably already have most, if not all, of the ingredients you need for this chocolate keto zucchini bread.
Here's what you'll need to make this gluten-free and keto chocolate zucchini bread:
- Coconut flour is the preferred keto-friendly flour to use as it gives a lighter spongey texture
- Unsweetened cocoa powder is needed for the chocolate flavor. Feel free to use a dark cocoa or cacao which is the unprocessed version.
- Golden low-carb sweetener is a product by Lakanto. But you can use any brown sugar substitute instead, including the one by Lakanto.
- Cinnamon always adds a more interesting taste to chocolate baked goods.
- Coconut oil is the fat of choice but you can use butter or avocado oil
- Grated zucchini is the secret to this moist gluten free chocolate zucchini bread.
- Chocolate chips add extra chocolate flavor! Just make sure you choose keto-friendly baking chips. You can even make homemade sugar-free chocolate chips.
- Additional baking staples used are baking soda, baking powder, salt, eggs, and vanilla extract.
This low-carb chocolate zucchini bread recipe is almost as simple as a baking mix! You just need to mix everything together, spread into a pan, and bake.
The first thing you need to do is mix all the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
Next, add in the wet ingredients by blending in the eggs, coconut oil and vanilla until the ingredients are well combined.
After that, fold in the zucchini and chocolate chips.
Spread batter in loaf pan
Once the batter is prepared, pour the mix into a greased or parchment-paper lined 9" x 5" loaf pan.
The batter will need to bake at 350°F for 45-55 minutes, or until it tests done.
A trick you can use to know when it's ready is to place a toothpick in the center of the loaf. When the toothpick pops out, you'll know it's ready.
Then, you can remove from the oven. Allow it to cool for 15 minutes before removing the zucchini bread from the pan. Let it cool completely before slicing.
- Store zucchini bread in an airtight container in the refrigerator or freezer. It will keep for 2 weeks in the refrigerator and 3 months in the freezer.
- Drizzle melted chocolate on top to dress it up. A white chocolate topping really dresses it up!
- Use a different type of baking chip. Instead of regular chocolate, try white chocolate or peanut butter chips.
????️ Serving suggestions
Although this gluten free zucchini bread is a perfect snack or dessert as-is, you can add a cake frosting to make it even more decadent. A dollop of sugar-free whipped cream or a scoop of low-carb ice cream are tasty toppings too.
Just follow this easy recipe by making the batter, spreading it into a loaf pan and then bake.
The great thing about this chocolate chip zucchini bread is that each slice has just 3g net carbs.
Absolutely! For muffins, divide into 12 lined cups in a muffin pan. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until they test done.
There's no need to peel the zucchini. But if you want to hide the green color I recommend processing all the ingredients together, except the baking chips, in a food processor to break down the shredded zucchini into the batter.
This chocolate zucchini bread can be made with almond flour but other changes will be needed. Generally, you'll need more almond flour than coconut flour along with less eggs and liquid.
Love zucchini? Here's a few more keto-friendly recipes that use this summer squash.
- Turkey meatballs are absolutely scrumptious!
- Thai-inspired peanut chicken is delicious served over zucchini noodles.
- Zucchini nachos are made using slices of the squash instead of chips.
- Zucchini pizza boats is a great recipe for serving veggies from the garden.
Chocolate Zucchini Bread (Keto, Low-Carb, Gluten-Free)
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ cup Lakanto Golden Monk Fruit Granular Sweetener or regular white
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup coconut oil melted or fractionated
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups zucchini shredded
- ½ cup sugar free chocolate chips
- In large mixing bowl, combine the coconut flour, cocoa, sweetener, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Blend in the eggs, coconut oil, and vanilla until well combined.
- Fold in the zucchini and chocolate chips.
- Pour mixture into a greased or parchment paper lined 9x5-inch loaf pan.
- Bake at 350°F for 45-55 minutes or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and cool on rack for 15 minutes before removing from pan. Cool completely before slicing.
Array ( [serving_size] => 1 [calories] => 124 [carbohydrates] => 7 [protein] => 4 [fat] => 10 [saturated_fat] => 7 [cholesterol] => 62 [sodium] => 177 [potassium] => 210 [fiber] => 4 [sugar] => 1 [vitamin_a] => 130 [vitamin_c] => 3.7 [calcium] => 37 [iron] => 2 [serving_unit] => slice )
Notes on Nutritional Information
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs are not included in carb counts as it has been shown not to impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.
© LowCarbYum.com - Unauthorized use of this material without written permission from Lisa MarcAurele is strictly prohibited unless for personal offline purposes. Single photos may be used, provided that full credit is given to LowCarbYum.com along with a link back to the original content.
First published on October 22, 2018. Post updated on June 4, 2022, with new photos and additional recipe information.