It’s easy to make your own homemade keto blue cheese dressing with this simple recipe. Use it for dipping low-carb hot wings or topping off your favorites salad. It’s even a great sauce to serve on burgers!
One of the many benefits of eating low-carb is that you can indulge in delicious cheese. I eat a lot of tossed salads and enjoy adding a creamy high fat dressing on top.
Cheese is such a fantastic addition to a salad. It’s just one of those flavor combinations that go together. Kind of like chocolate and peanut butter.
Although it’s quite easy to make your own low carb salad dressing from vinegar and oil, I used to buy it bottled. But now I’m starting to just make my own as it’s so quick and easy.
Steps to make keto blue cheese dressing
The process for making this creamy blue cheese dressing at home is quite simple. It only takes a couple steps!
- Mash the blue cheese with buttermilk. This can be done in a medium bowl using a fork.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients until desired consistency is reached. For this recipe, sour cream, mayonnaise, lemon juice, sweetener, garlic powder, salt, and pepper are added.
It’s best to keep homemade blue cheese dressing in a covered glass container. A small mason jar works well.
Because of the dairy, the dressing needs to be stored in the refrigerator. It should be used within 5-7 days. That’s why I prefer to make it in small batches that I can use up within a week.
Why make homemade dressing?
Have you ever looked at the ingredients in commercially prepared salad dressing? Shelf stable ones often add preservatives. Those kept refrigerated are better, but they generally cost more.
It takes only a few minutes to make your own from simple ingredients. That’s why I finally made my own keto blue cheese dressing. It also tastes much better than any store bought one.
If you haven’t made your own dressing, you are definitely missing out on the benefits. With minimal work, you’ll get less carbs and more taste.
Recipe tips and uses
For a creamier dressing, mash the cheese well to get rid of any large chunks. But you can leave some bigger chunks in if you prefer. But the dressing flows better with smaller pieces.
I don’t bother mashing the cheese crumbles when making my blue cheese vinaigrette dressing. But that recipe has an oil and vinegar base which isn’t as thick.
Other recipes you may like
Need a few more recipes for keto condiments to top off salads and other low-carb foods? The following are some of my family favorites.
- Easy Hollandaise Sauce can be served over eggs or vegetables to add in a buttery lemon flavor.
- Keto Cheese Sauce is great for topping veggies, dipping chips, or drizzling over tacos.
- Low Carb Ketchup has no added sugar so it’s a much better option for those watching carbs.
- Avocado Cilantro Lime Dressing is smooth and creamy without adding any dairy.
- Keto Ranch Dressing can be used as a dip, salad topping, or for adding flavor to casseroles and other dishes.
For more homemade low carb dressing recipes, take a look at this collection.
Low Carb Blue Cheese Dressing
- 5 ounces blue cheese
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar equivalent I used Natvia
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- dash fresh ground black pepper
- In medium bowl, mash blue cheese into buttermilk with a fork until desired consistency is reached.
- Stir in sour cream, mayonnaise, lemon juice, sweetener, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Adjust seasoning to taste if needed.
Get Recipes Delivered Weekly
Join my email list and you’ll receive a free meal plan with 20 keto recipes. Plus, you can opt-in for special offers only for subscribers!
Note on Nutritional Information
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs are not included in carb counts as it has been shown not to impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.
Unauthorized use of this material without written permission from Lisa MarcAurele is strictly prohibited unless for personal offline purposes.
Single photos may be used, provided that full credit is given to LowCarbYum.com along with a link back to the original content.
First Published: January 5, 2015… Last Updated: May 16, 2020