These tender air fryer wings with buffalo sauce are easy to make and are ready in less than 35 minutes! Satisfy your craving for restaurant style hot chicken wings right from home.
Get Recipes Delivered Weekly
Join the Low Carb Yum email list and you’ll receive a free meal plan with 20 keto recipes. Plus, you can opt-in for special offers only for subscribers!
Who else loves wings as an easy, low carb meal?
It’s hard to beat the crispy skin, the tender meat, or the tasty sauces. Plus you can dunk them in creamy bleu cheese or ranch dressing. They’re a perfect low carb or keto meal.
Wings from a bar, restaurant, or pub are a nice option when dining out, but I try not to get them too often. They’re usually deep-fried in cheap vegetable oils like soybean oil. They’re fine from time-to-time, just not all the time.
What I really wanted was to find the best way to enjoy easy, delicious wings right at home. I didn’t want to go through all the hassle of making them with the grill, stove, or oven.
I needed something easy that turned out perfectly every time and would be ready fast.
Air Fryer Buffalo Wings
Then I discovered the air fryer. With this new kitchen appliance, I found my favorite way to make wings!
I’ve enjoyed recreating fried recipes in the air fryer. Traditionally unhealthy recipes that use trans-fats are transformed into much healthier versions.
First, you use much less oil when cooking in the air fryer compared to a regular deep-fryer. Second, you can use healthy cooking oils like avocado or coconut. And the results are still amazingly crispy!
It basically works like a convection oven. It can take some getting used to in the beginning while you figure out what temperatures to set. But after a few tries, it becomes second nature.
I have the GoWise air fryer. It comes with a handy guide that helps you understand what temperatures and cooking times are right for particular foods.
I love making keto chicken wings in the air fryer. They’re super crispy and don’t use any unhealthy vegetable oils. And topped with my buffalo sauce, they’re pretty much irresistible!
How to cook wings in an air fryer
- Give the poultry a good massage with olive oil in a large glass bowl. If you hate touching raw poultry, you can also use a brush.
- Sprinkle on garlic powder and salt then blend in.
- Spread about a tablespoon of olive oil, coconut oil, or avocado oil on the bottom of the air fryer basket.
- Place the wings in a single layer in the basket.
- Cook the wings for 25 minutes at 360°F.
- Flip the wings over in the basket.
- Increase the temperature to 400°F and cook for an additional four minutes.
How to make homemade buffalo sauce
- Combine hot sauce, vinegar, butter, and ground pepper in a small pot on the stove over medium heat.
- Bring the sauce to a boil while whisking everything together.
- Remove from heat.
Serving the wings
Whether you use my buffalo sauce, my spicy dry rub, or your own sauce, prep it while the wings are cooking to maximize your time. That’s what makes this such an easy meal to make.
When the wings are done cooking, add them into the sauce (not the other way around!) Stir them up to ensure each wing is coated.
Then, serve the air fryer hot wings with my low carb blue cheese dressing or ranch and celery!
Can you stack wings in air fryer
For wings that are evenly-cooked and crispy, I do not recommend stacking the wings. Instead, lay them out in a single layer. It’s okay if they’re touching and overlapping slightly.
I am usually able to fit all of the wings into the air fryer in one batch, and my air fryer is a normal size.
Using frozen wings
You will need to adjust the cook time if you are starting with frozen wings. Usually another five minutes are needed.
Also remember that frozen wings hold excess water. This will create steam in the air fryer as they cook. Some air fryers may handle this just fine, but in others, your wings might not get as crispy. It depends on the air fryer.
How to reheat wings in air fryer
Have you been disappointed with reheated wings in the past? Not anymore!
The air fryer is perfect for returning wings to their original crispiness. Finally, leftover wings are worth eating again the next day.
To reheat air fryer wings (or any leftover wings):
- Place them in the air fryer and cook for 5 minutes at 350°F.
- Flip the wings, increase the temperature to 400°F, and cook for 5 more minutes.
Perfect reheated wings every time!
Other low carb air fryer recipes
Looking for more delicious recipes you can make using your air fryer? Check out these other favorites:
- Low Carb Keto Fried Chicken is just as tasty as the old-school version I grew up making, and much easier!
- Air Fryer Pork Chops are made with a keto friendly pork rind breading for an ultra-crispy pork chop that doesn’t require a ton of oil.
- Keto Mozzarella Sticks are a tasty, satisfying snack or appetizer that can be kept in the freezer for a quick bite anytime!
- Easy Keto Falafel uses low carb ingredients to replace chickpeas. These crunchy bites are great finger food or perfect to add to a salad or wrap.
- Low Carb Tortilla Chips are so easy to make at home as a tasty low carb appetizer or to accompany your favorite dips.
★ Follow Me on FACEBOOK, PINTEREST and INSTAGRAM for more low carb recipe ideas.
★ Sign up for the Low Carb Yum NEWSLETTER for the latest updates and a FREE Meal Plan.
Air Fryer Buffalo Chicken Hot Wings
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 2 pounds chicken wingettes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or avocado oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- extra oil for greasing
- 1/3 cup hot pepper sauce I used Frank’s Red Hot
- 1/4 cup butter butter flavored coconut oil for dairy-free
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground chipolte pepper or cayenne pepper
- In large bowl, rub olive oil on chicken wings and then sprinkle on the garlic powder and salt.
- Rub inside of air fryer basket with a little more olive oil, avocado oil, or coconut oil.
- Place chicken wings in a single layer in basket.
- Cook wings at 360°F for 25 minutes.
- Flip wings over. Then increase temperature to 400°F and cook for 4 more minutes.
- While wings are cooking in air fryer, combine hot sauce, butter, vinegar, and ground pepper in small pot.
- Bring sauce to a boil on medium heat while whisking everything together. Remove from heat and set aside.
- When wings are done, add them to the sauce and coat each piece evenly.
- Serve with blue cheese dressing and celery.
Join the Low Carb Yum Facebook Group for help with recipes and weight loss support!
Note on Nutritional Information
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs are not included in carb counts as it has been shown not to impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.
Unauthorized use of this material without written permission from Lisa MarcAurele is strictly prohibited unless for personal offline purposes.
Single photos may be used, provided that full credit is given to LowCarbYum.com along with a link back to the original content.
First published August 9, 2018… Last Updated: December 4, 2019