This recipe for easy keto Mexican cauliflower rice is a perfect side dish! It’s light but flavorful, and it comes together in just minutes with only 4 ingredients.
Can you ever have too many recipes for easy side dishes? For me, anything with great flavor that doesn’t require a ton of time in the kitchen is a win.
That’s why I love this Mexican cauliflower rice! It’s simple to make, super tasty, but very light as well. We often enjoy it as a side for grilled meat in the summer.
Cauliflower Mexican rice
Whenever I’m looking for a dish I can just throw together and put in the oven, yummy cauliflower rice with Mexican flavors is one of my top choices. Plus, if you use the canned tomatoes, you only need 4 total ingredients to make it.
That’s why you’ll find me making it all summer long.
I always love using fresh produce in my recipes. But sometimes, using pre-made ingredients is just so convenient and nice.
I’ve included directions to make this recipe from either canned tomatoes or fresh produce so you can choose what best suits you!
How to make Mexican rice from riced cauliflower
Ready to see how you can turn cauliflower into Mexican rice in just a few steps?
- Start by grating a head of cauliflower with a box grater or food processor. You should get about 6 cups.
- If using fresh produce, dice 1 cup of tomatoes, ½ of a small onion, and 2 green chili peppers. Add 2 tablespoons of lime juice and mix together. If using a canned mix, you can skip this step.
- In a 1½ quart baking dish, mix together the cauli rice, diced tomato blend, and salt until well combined.
- Bake at 350°F for 40 minutes, stirring about halfway through.
- Sprinkle on fresh cilantro and optional red pepper flakes.
And that’s all!
This cauliflower rice is so convenient because you don’t even need to dry out the cauliflower or drain the liquid from the tomatoes. The liquid will evaporate in the oven, leaving you with the perfect side dish.
This recipe yields about 8 servings. Each portion contains 5.7 grams of total carbs and 2.2 grams of fiber.
So each serving will contain about 3.5 grams of net carbs. This makes it an excellent option for anyone eating keto or low carb.
How to season Mexican style cauliflower rice
This tasty side dish is packed with traditional Mexican flavors.
You have the option to use pre-canned diced tomatoes with green chilis or to make your own produce mix. In either case, the green chilis, garlic, onion, and lime add amazing flavor.
Once baked, I choose to add cilantro and red pepper flakes for an extra bit of kick. If you enjoy spicy Mexican food, I recommend giving it a try.
I love cooking up this side dish with any kind of protein. But it is especially delicious when paired with other low carb Mexican foods!
Grilling is my cooking method of choice in the summer. In that case, I season the meat with my low carb taco seasoning.
You could also enjoy it along with this Mexican zucchini and beef skillet for a meal that’s full of veggies and flavor.
Anywhere that you might find traditional Mexican rice, this cauliflower version is a perfect substitute!
Other simple sides
Looking for a few more easy low carb side dishes to serve along with your main meal? Check out a few of these favorites:
- Cheesy Cauliflower Breadsticks can be a tasty and satisfying snack, or serve them as yummy finger food at parties!
- Easy Zucchini Au Gratin is so much healthier than a high carb potato version and takes just minutes to prepare.
- Low Carb Keto Creamed Spinach With Cheese is ultra creamy and packed with cheesy flavor!
- Baby Kale Salad With Avocado and Parmesan is a quick and easy dish that’s perfect for a light lunch or to serve at the start of dinner.
- Roasted Radishes have the right flavor and texture to make them a great substitute for roasted potatoes.
Mexican Cauliflower Rice
- 6 cups grated cauliflower about 1 head
- 1 can Mexican style diced tomatoes with green chilis (10 ounces) see note
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro
- dash of red pepper flakes optional
- In 1 1/2 quart baking dish, mix the cauliflower, diced tomato blend, and salt together until well combined.
- Bake at 350F for 40 minutes, stirring about halfway through. Sprinkle on fresh cilantro and optional red pepper flakes.
Get Recipes Delivered Weekly
Join my email list and you’ll receive a free meal plan with 20 keto recipes. Plus, you can opt-in for special offers only for subscribers!
Note on Nutritional Information
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs are not included in carb counts as it has been shown not to impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.
Unauthorized use of this material without written permission from Lisa MarcAurele is strictly prohibited unless for personal offline purposes.
Single photos may be used, provided that full credit is given to LowCarbYum.com along with a link back to the original content.
First Published June 20, 2016… Last Updated: February 20, 2020