For a tender and juicy keto pot roast, be sure to slow cook it. You can also make this low carb beef roast in an Instant Pot to speed things up. But it’s better to use the slow cook setting if you have the time.
Which veggies to use for keto pot roast
A traditional chuck roast is slow cooked with potatoes and carrots. So if your following a keto diet, you’ll want to replace those with low carb vegetables. However, for a standard low carb diet, a small amount of carrots can be okay.
I used cauliflower and celery in my keto roast beef recipe. But cauliflower can get really mushy when slow cooked. That’s why I often replace it with turnips or radishes which are much firmer.
Since I was serving to guests that weren’t strict keto, I decided to use baby carrots in this slow cooker low carb pot roast. The carb count per serving is still low but most people on a ketogenic diet avoid carrots because they do contain natural sugar.
How to season a crock pot roast for keto
Before slow cooking, the chuck roast should be seasoned with salt and pepper and then browned on both sides. An iron skillet works best, but if you want to go with the one pot method, it can be seared in an Instant Pot or a slow cooker with a brown/sauté setting.
Onions and vegetables add additional flavor especially when sautéed in the juices from the meat before slow cooking. Beef broth, rosemary, and thyme round out the flavors and enhance the taste of the meat as it slow cooks.
The cooking time will vary depending on the size of the meat and whether it’s slow cooked or cooked in an electric pressure cooker.
The meat will be done in 4 to 6 hours on high or 6 to 8 hours on low for a slow cooker.
Instant Pot electric pressure cooker
To speed things up, you can cook a keto chuck roast in an Instant Pot. Cooking time varies based on the size of the meat, but I find 60 minutes at high pressure followed by a quick pressure release is just about right for a 5 pound chuck roast. For a smaller 3 pound piece, I’d lower the time to 50 minutes.
What to serve with a slow cooker pot roast for keto
- Try mashed celery root mixed with cauliflower for a keto friendly alternative to mashed potatoes.
- For a simple vegetable side, green beans almondine cooks up quickly.
- Miss roasted potatoes? These keto roasted radishes are a fabulous low carb stand in.
- These pan fried brussels sprouts with bacon will add in some fat and flavor.
- Grilled cabbage steaks are easy yet tasty side that cooks up easily in a pan, on the grill, or in the oven.
- Picky eaters love keto mashed cauliflower with cream cheese mixed in.
Other meaty low carb slow cooker recipes
- Slow cooked keto beef tips are always tender and tasty.
- Just dump and go to make this delicious BBQ pulled chicken slow cooker recipe!
- This pork curry slow cooker recipe comes with a creamy dairy-free sauce that’s paleo friendly too.
- For a taste of the Philippines, try a slow cooker pork adobo
- A balsamic vinegar seasoned keto pork loin slow cooker recipe is sure to please.
- This budget friendly crockpot chicken legs and thighs is perfect for busy days.
Low Carb Keto Pot Roast (Instant Pot, Slow Cooker)
Recipe Video (Click on Image to Play)
- 4-6 pound chuck roast
- 2-3 tablespoons sea salt or kosher salt
- 2-3 tablespoons pepper
- 1 cup baby carrots use half celery and half turnips for keto
- 1 onion diced
- 1 teaspoon rosemary dried
- 1 bunch thyme couple sprigs
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 cup liquid from Crock-Pot
- ¼-½ teaspoon xanthan gum as needed to thicken
- Drizzle olive oil over the chuck roast on all sides.
- Sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper on all sides.
- Place in a steaming hot skillet and brown on all sides.
- Once brown on all sides, remove and let rest.
- Place carrots and onions in skillet to brown and grab the juices from the roast.
- In the bottom of your slow cooker, add onions and carrots.
- Top with the roast.
- Add in beef broth, rosemary and thyme.
- Cook in the slow cooker on high for 4-6 hours or 6-8 hours on low. The meat will become incredibly tender.
- To make the gravy, measure out 1 cup of liquid from the Crock-Pot. Sprinkle in ¼-½ tsp of Xanthan Gum and whisk together. Allow to sit while you plate up the rump roast.
- For a thicker gravy, use ½ tsp. For a runnier consistency use ¼ tsp.
Get Recipes Delivered Weekly
Join my email list and you’ll receive a free meal plan with 20 keto recipes. Plus, you can opt-in for special offers only for subscribers!
Note on Nutritional Information
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs are not included in carb counts as it has been shown not to impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.
Unauthorized use of this material without written permission from Lisa MarcAurele is strictly prohibited unless for personal offline purposes.
Single photos may be used, provided that full credit is given to LowCarbYum.com along with a link back to the original content.